Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Aww poor lad Mandy! Does anyone have any idea when or how he picked up MRSA?

Have to say I chuckled at the high beds and fans comment. Even now the girls forget the fans if they're standing on their beds or shaking the duvets.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Aww poor lad Mandy! Does anyone have any idea when or how he picked up MRSA?

Have to say I chuckled at the high beds and fans comment. Even now the girls forget the fans if they're standing on their beds or shaking the duvets.
Clueless as to how he got the MRSA, but over the past month or so we are now onto our 3rd outbreak of infections.

We threatened the eldest 2 of putting their beds under the fans 'flight path' if they got out of bed and disturbed our chill out time lol.
Mandy
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:37 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigaitch
Hi Mandy, This is a great thread, very encouraging for those of us who are still 'in transit' so to speak. Hope your boys infection get better soon. Thanks for the updates. H.
i have to agree, fantastic thread
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
4 weeks on and im still loving it. Although i really want my furniture now.
I got my TFN sorted , still waiting for my medicare card to arrive, applied 2 weeks ago, so i guess i will have to wait for that to arrive.
Been in Darwin 4 weeks now and still havent scratched the surface of what there is to do as there is so much in Darwin and the surrounds.
We have been in the house 3 weeks and there are things that niggle me about the house. Like we only have one room with interent acess which is our sons bedroom(on the plans its a study). There are only 3 telephone points, one in my sons room, one in the kitchen and one in our room. We have 2 tv points the main living room and our bedroom. Kids arnt happy that they cant watch tv in there rooms. It may be that we are going to have to get loads of wires to sort that problem out.
The major problem i do have is ants and flies, so far ive had ants in the food cupboard and chucked loads of food out. Even though i had them in plastic containers. Im constantly cleaning to help with that. The flies are doing my nut in, i caught one laying eggs on a glass that id just filled with juice , put the bottle back in the fridge, so that got poured down the sink and glass washed.Ive now bought a spray that like the airfresheners that spray every 15 mins sprays the repllent. Hopefully this will help
OH tends to use the car for work so we have been exploring the area around our suburb on foot, the kids quite happy to do that now they have scooters and a strange looking skateboard called a ribstick.
When i have had the car ive ventured further out to the beach which is too far to walk too, but only 10 mins by car.
so far ive met some lovley aboriginal people while out exploring, who have been polite and freindly asking about England. I sometimes find it hard to understand them as they talk so fast, (faster than a geordie on speed).
Ive also met some scarey aboriginals on the outskirts of the local park, who were possibibly drunk or high on drugs. So like most places there are good and bad spots i suppose.
The kids start school next Tuesday, im so happy with that, as its been a long time for them to be off school.
A few days after we moved in the house we bought our first ever barbie, my OH is still learning how to use it. Its been an interesting expereince to say the least.
As regards my youngest with his dairy free diet, ive managed to find a shop that does a few more products, and a 'Wendy's' chain of take aways do dairy free smoothies and cones. which equals one happy boy.
I feel very settled, the kids are happy, OH is finding it harder to cope with the heat still, mind you i dont think i would cope too well with a 5 k run at the moment lol.
He finds it hard going at work as not only has he gone from senior management down to below junior management, but he also is more qualified than his whole management team and in some cases up to 20 years older. He is doing plenty of training of the young guys mainly due to lack of what he sees as poor health and safety and communications. the other blokes where he works who are also Brits have also noticed similar problems.
He has now taken the attitude, of you wanted me for my expereince and skills but are not using me for that, i will enjoy the pay you give me for doing nothing and make the most of my time away from work.

Im getting my cv sorted and im getting help to prepare my self for work, saw the ideal job for me locally working for an aborginal charity that deals with the alcohol and drugs rehab. Will let you know if i manage to get an interview for it.
Gotta go the kids need me
Mandy
Hi Mandy

Welcome to Darwin! I'm only on a working holiday at the moment, but in the process of beginning to get my stuff sorted for my defacto visa. I've been here nearly twelve months and live in Coconut Grove. Where abouts are you living?

Glad to hear things are getting sorted for you! The heat does take a bit of getting used to. It's supposed to be the dry season, but apart from the last week or so, things have still been a bit too warm for the dry! The weather now, with the cooler evenings/mornings are more typical of the dry, apparently the weather has been a bit funny this year!

With regards to the insects here - I'm sorry to tell you that they only get ten times worse in the wet. Earlier this year we had a massive problem with insects - ants, cockroaches, flies etc in the house. We bought about 4 of what my partner calls "bombs" - I don't know what the technical name is! But basically, they're like an aerosol can you put in the middle of the room, with all the cupboard doors open etc, let it off and leave the house for a few hours. When you come back, you need to clean everything as you will be amazed at how many dead bugs you find! The spray must bring them out of their little hidey homes as well as kill them, as we had literally HUNDREDs of small cockroaches dead everywhere. Sounds gross, but it has completely solved the problem. Think we "bombed" our house in January and touch wood have not seen a single insect since. We'll see how we go in the wet season.

With regards to the plug sockets, I have friends who have had the same problem. Not sure how old/new your house is, but my mates' new place has no sockets either - it's brand new, not sure if they're rushing a bit to get them finished as they are so short on housing here. Other problem with housing up here - because it's hot they think they don't need to be insulated. They don't seem to realise that insulation keeps the cold air in as well. My partner is starting to fit aload of insulation to the loft today (bought for half price from Vinnies!)

RE the aboriginals.... There are good spots and bad spots. It tends to be good streets and bad streets... and if you drive down a bad street, you'll know about it just by looking around. Most of the aboriginals are fine. I worked as a door to door sales rep for Austar for a while, and had some great chats with the local aboriginal people! But there are bad eggs too, and sometimes unfortunately you do have to be careful. As you will notice, a high percentage have alcohol issues and this is when you need to watch out as their bodies don't handle alcohol like ours (apparently). I have witnessed a lot of fights, and saw a bus driver get smacked by a drunk guy the other week (for no reason other than the bus driver telling him quite rightly to quieten down). They have some fascinating culture, but unfortunately their image up here is spoilt by a percentage.

Can't really help RE the dairy free diet... it's pretty difficult to get any non-mainstream, speciality stuff up here. Poor health and safety up here... yes. The NT is very laid back compared to the rest of Oz. There are fewer regulations where the rest of Oz has them - e.g they are only just bringing in non-smoking legislation in beer gardens, there are very few limits on recreational fishing up here, I work for a small chemical manufacturing business - the people who make the chemicals smoke whilst they're mixing them together in the shed! But that's the NT. It'll catch up, but I love it the way it is now and hopefully you'll get used to it too!

Glad you're settling in ok
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Its now 9 weeks and my house is starting to feel like a home, the kids are happy to have something resembling their own room again, im happy to have my ornaments and photos on display.
I did have a few almost teary moments when i was emptying the boxes containg photos from the past 20 years, seeing some of those photos made me feel all nostalgic, but i soon snapped out of it.
Im making a few more freinds was out on Monday for a ladies night out and what a brill time i had, some aussies and some poms, its a monthly monday night event so im looking forward to the next one.
I went to my first tupperwear party today, again brill people and yes i did part with my money for some tubs. As living in Darwin as i have found out everything has to kept in tubs, cereal, crackers, infact anything that is kept in the pantry cupboard.
I helped out at the school on Tuesday morning and had a really good time, i was helping with the transition year group PE class, i helped with 2 different classes and i was shattered afterwards.
Ive continued unpacking boxes this week which has kept me very busy. Once ive got the house put to rights and i feel happy thats it is presentable then i will start on the job hunting.
My OH is delighted that we now have austar, and he is now watching the premier league live on fox sports, he is one happy bunny now.
The boys have their bikes ready for riding now, had to go and buy 2 new for the middle and youngest as theres were trashed in the UK so never got packed. Managed to get them in sales so got them cheap.
Im happy that we now finally have tennets who moved in to our UK house, as that was a big concern leaving an empty house behind. The tennents have expressed a wish to buy but being ex soldiers and having lived in Germany they wernt able to get a credit score for a mortgage, so hopefully in 6 months they will want to buy, then i will be a very happy bunny.
Life still has the usual stuff going on, the kids are still the toerags they were in the UK and we still have the same family issues we had then, moving to oz has not made them vanish but thats fine by me.
AS a family we are accepting any invites to anything to increase our social circle. Last weekend the 2 older boys had invites out for tea at their freinds, the oldest got a sleep over too, the middle one has a sleep over next weekend.
The youngest is making plenty of new freinds and is the happiest ive seen him in a long time. Having ADHD has not affected his social life like it did in the UK. We are finding other parents more understanding when he 'plays up' which is good.The only problem i have encounted has been he has to go for another assessment with more proffessionals so that he can get the support he needs in school.
Im enjoying the 7.30 walk to school on the morning and all the colourful birds that we see, i enjoy saying hello to the few aboriginals that i see enroute. Im not so keen on the 2pm walk as its a tad warm walking there and back in the heat, but im sensible, i wear a hat, my sun glasses and plenty of sun screen on, untill i get an job and can afford to get another car, its what i have to do. Plus it means im getting plenty of exercise lol
In short im happy with life and feel more relaxed than i ever have done in years. Its taken us so long to get to Australia and i was worried incase we may not settle but i dont think i need of worried.
I still speak to my parents and in laws every few weeks jus like i did in the UK so in that respect nothing has changed.
Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; Aug 14th 2010 at 12:35 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Really love reading your updates Mandy. You're a bit of an inspiration - positive yet realistic!! Enjoy your adventures - and promise to keep updating?

Last edited by myrtle1; Aug 14th 2010 at 12:54 pm. Reason: Far too many glasses of wine to be posting here!!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see you and yours are settling well, all the best as your adventures in life continues.

Kristina
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Gee what interesting updates

Flies - if you are totally religious about closing the fly screen they rarely get in, kids soon learn. Much better than having chemicals spraying around

Heat - take an umbrella, you can get UV ones, nobody bats an eyelid, plus soon you will need one for the rain anyway

I had blood poisoning in 2008, very very serious infection, nobody ever found out why heat, tropics maybe the bugs love heat/humidity? Hope he gets well soon, not a nice thing.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update its great to hear you are getting on well with it
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:56 am
Just Joined

claireym is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Mandy, I just got to Darwin 10 days ago from Newcastle with all the family and it was great to read of your experiences over the last few months. It sounds really positive despite what life throws at you! Its really early days for me and I'm still getting used to the heat and sorting out all the important stuff with a very active 3 year old in tow. When my OH talked about this job in Darwin I was a bit worried about being stuck up here and lots of negative comments from other family and contacts elsewhere in the country but although I haven't had a chance to meet up with anyone yet I feel alot better now we're here. Just taking a while to settle in and getting used to not working at the moment - plenty to fill the day without having to worry about that (Although the air-con in an office might be nice?). Looking forward to our stuff arriving in a few months and having a proper home again and maybe a social life not just based on the kids and school. Parents outside the classrooms seem a bit standoffish at the moment depsite smiles and hellos so think I'll have to try some different places for a chat. Planning to take the kids to see the crocs this weekend and maybe for a swim at the waterpark.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by claireym
Mandy, I just got to Darwin 10 days ago from Newcastle with all the family and it was great to read of your experiences over the last few months. It sounds really positive despite what life throws at you! Its really early days for me and I'm still getting used to the heat and sorting out all the important stuff with a very active 3 year old in tow. When my OH talked about this job in Darwin I was a bit worried about being stuck up here and lots of negative comments from other family and contacts elsewhere in the country but although I haven't had a chance to meet up with anyone yet I feel alot better now we're here. Just taking a while to settle in and getting used to not working at the moment - plenty to fill the day without having to worry about that (Although the air-con in an office might be nice?). Looking forward to our stuff arriving in a few months and having a proper home again and maybe a social life not just based on the kids and school. Parents outside the classrooms seem a bit standoffish at the moment depsite smiles and hellos so think I'll have to try some different places for a chat. Planning to take the kids to see the crocs this weekend and maybe for a swim at the waterpark.
Hello there
Welcome to BE and to Darwin
Nice to here from some one else new to Darwin.
Crocodlys (sp) is brill, we did that our first week too and the kids loved getting to hold a baby croc.
If you are going to the water park at Leanyer, its brill for kids and the plus side for us with 3 boys its free and you can literally spend all day there.
I dont always have transport but when i do if you fancy a chat and a coffee we could meet up somewhere near inbetween parap and Casurina, maybe Fanny bay. I dont think ive been to Parap yet, so im not too sure what is around you.
Feel free to PM when you have made 3 posts, so we could arrange something.
Mandy
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Hello there
Welcome to BE and to Darwin
Nice to here from some one else new to Darwin.
Crocodlys (sp) is brill, we did that our first week too and the kids loved getting to hold a baby croc.
If you are going to the water park at Leanyer, its brill for kids and the plus side for us with 3 boys its free and you can literally spend all day there.
I dont always have transport but when i do if you fancy a chat and a coffee we could meet up somewhere near inbetween parap and Casurina, maybe Fanny bay. I dont think ive been to Parap yet, so im not too sure what is around you.
Feel free to PM when you have made 3 posts, so we could arrange something.
Mandy
Parap markets supposed to be good (not so much for the kids though)
Depending on where abouts you are based in Parap, you could just about walk to Fannie Bay.
East Point reserve is nearby for a nice relax. There is a museum there and a lake you can supposedly swim in (I'd be too worried about crocs to get in there personally).
I'm just round the corner from you in Coconut Grove (just a lil bit further up Dickward Drive). Am leaving Darwin next week, but hopefully will be back in the not too distant future.
Hope you settle in well Claire
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cant believe that its over 10 weeks since we landed. Where has that time gone. I got a shock when people were talking about christmas already and getting stuff ready to sent to the UK. So i guess i had better start getting organised lol.

The holiday period is definatly over now and the reality of living in Darwin is kicking in, had our first utilty bill and suprisingly it wasnt too bad, however the cost for my youngest sons blood test was. I had not been aware i had to pay for his blood test, ive now got to find $115 to pay it i hope i get something back from medicare. Our health insurance hasn't started yet and even then we have to wait for 2 months before we can make a claim. I certainly miss the NHS at times like this.
I so need a job just so we can live the standard of life we are used to , which is not extravagant in the least. Im already buying budget products at woolies and on Friday getting enough pack lunch food and cereal and stuff for evening meals came to around $250 admitingly that is for 5 of us, but at this rate we are going to run out of money soon. Gtting paid fortnightly is taking some getting used to as well, never had to do that before.
WE had toyed witht the idea of going down to melbourne and using our free flight entitlement for christmas just so we can escape what i can imagine a very humid climate at christmas. However, we arnt sure if my Oh can get time off and if we can afford the trip. ( we pay then get money back)
The humidity is certainly starting to creep up now, normally i only tend to sweat buckets when im going for a run but recently just sitting down ive been sweating, not a good sight or sign lol.
My white tileslook like a permanent dog rug as poor benji is moulting badly almost every minute im finding clumps of fur, guess i will have to hoover up soon.
My OH said if Darwin were 10c cooler he would be happy to live here as the place its self grows on you. Im still getting frustrated about lack of dairy free stuff for my son but that aside its pleasent enough living here.
At the weekend the 2 older boys went to the cinema with freinds followed by mc'ds then a bike ride on the sunday to a skate park/water park something they could not do in the UK. WE do feel safer here and there is more of a community spirit here ive had a few people offer me lifts when coming back from the school on foot with my son and they think im mad from walking in the heat.
Im thinking about getting a nice jazzy sunbrella to try and keep me a bit cooler when the temps get higher.
Life is still going on in my mad house as my OH said no matter where we live the kids will always be a pain in the bum and whinge about something, but here we can encourage them to get out and have fun.
Mandy
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When a GP or someone sends you for a blood test, make sure they tick the 'bulk bill' box on the form. The rules changed a while ago, prior to that most blood tests were bulk billed but now the form needs ticking or you get lumbered with paying.

After your first summer you may not notice the humidity so much, whilst your bodies are acclimatising it will be hard though. At least you got here at it's lowest, don't know how people manage who arrive in January/February time
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:12 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Cant believe that its over 10 weeks since we landed. Where has that time gone. I got a shock when people were talking about christmas already and getting stuff ready to sent to the UK. So i guess i had better start getting organised lol.

The holiday period is definatly over now and the reality of living in Darwin is kicking in, had our first utilty bill and suprisingly it wasnt too bad, however the cost for my youngest sons blood test was. I had not been aware i had to pay for his blood test, ive now got to find $115 to pay it i hope i get something back from medicare. Our health insurance hasn't started yet and even then we have to wait for 2 months before we can make a claim. I certainly miss the NHS at times like this.
I so need a job just so we can live the standard of life we are used to , which is not extravagant in the least. Im already buying budget products at woolies and on Friday getting enough pack lunch food and cereal and stuff for evening meals came to around $250 admitingly that is for 5 of us, but at this rate we are going to run out of money soon. Gtting paid fortnightly is taking some getting used to as well, never had to do that before.
WE had toyed witht the idea of going down to melbourne and using our free flight entitlement for christmas just so we can escape what i can imagine a very humid climate at christmas. However, we arnt sure if my Oh can get time off and if we can afford the trip. ( we pay then get money back)
The humidity is certainly starting to creep up now, normally i only tend to sweat buckets when im going for a run but recently just sitting down ive been sweating, not a good sight or sign lol.
My white tileslook like a permanent dog rug as poor benji is moulting badly almost every minute im finding clumps of fur, guess i will have to hoover up soon.
My OH said if Darwin were 10c cooler he would be happy to live here as the place its self grows on you. Im still getting frustrated about lack of dairy free stuff for my son but that aside its pleasent enough living here.
At the weekend the 2 older boys went to the cinema with freinds followed by mc'ds then a bike ride on the sunday to a skate park/water park something they could not do in the UK. WE do feel safer here and there is more of a community spirit here ive had a few people offer me lifts when coming back from the school on foot with my son and they think im mad from walking in the heat.
Im thinking about getting a nice jazzy sunbrella to try and keep me a bit cooler when the temps get higher.
Life is still going on in my mad house as my OH said no matter where we live the kids will always be a pain in the bum and whinge about something, but here we can encourage them to get out and have fun.
Mandy
Mandy I would really urge you to stay put for Christmas, you really need to establish your first xmas in your new home because if you go away for that period, you will find yourself reluctant to spend further christmases there. My friend made this mistake by going home for a first xmas and now cant tolerate xmas in Australia.

Build up a nice family tradition and start as you mean to go on so you have the foundations there for a good time.

Your dogs fur loss is normal, Gordon my cat shed shit loads of fur in his first Summer here as he acclimatised. Groom your dog twice daily if you can - get one of those rubber brushes, you can click a button and the fur is dislodged when the brush fills up, we groom ours twice a day in the summer, it only takes a few minutes and can make all the difference.

I learned very quickly to slow right down in the higher temps, it was well into the 40s this Summer just gone for us, not too humid but I just slowed down a few gears but it took ages to get used to that.

I dream to have a swimming pool but we just cant afford it, my god how nice would that be to have a pool to go in of a hot evening.

My first xmas here was good, I love it as they make more of an effort here than they did where I used to live - too much cultural sensitivity where I lived, but here they make an effort. The bus drivers dressed as Santa in shorts handing out ice lollies, lots of xmassy stuff on the TV, showing local schools carol singing, going to Cottelsoe Beach to see GMTV filming, xmas eve drinks with my colleagues.

On xmas day itself, Mr PP works so I am on my own until 2pm so I might drive to the beach this year. You can have a nice xmas here but I would deffo recommend setting yourself up by having it where you live now and not going away.

I would buy myself a giant paddling pool to cool down in on xmas day but my bloody dog would eat it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.