Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Adventures down under (so far!)

Adventures down under (so far!)

Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adventures down under (so far!)

VERY long update. Only managed to get decent internet connection yesterday, so this has been growing and growing until I was able to post it. Be warned!

Back story
Back in 1997 me (husband and I) moved to Singapore on a whim.

We first visited Australia in 1998 and Perth in 1999. We loved it, and said that “one day” we’d like to live there. We had a preliminary chat with a Migration Agent who said we’d qualify for a skilled independent visa but we wanted to hang on a bit longer to save more money.

We visited several more times (and made lots of trips to other parts of Australia) and, in early 2005, decided we’d look into buying property to hedge against price rises. We figured we could treat it ass an investment if we didn’t get visas. As we hadn’t got PR we had to buy new property or land. We got a buyers’ agent to source property for us and, as we couldn’t see a house we liked, he found us land in Burns Beach and we built.

Our son (“Mini”) was born in January 2007 and he made his first trip to Perth when he was 7 weeks old so we could choose tiles etc. Luckily his taste corresponded with mine. The house was finished in November 2008 and we camped out for 2 weeks while we bought lights etc., then it was rented out.

Meanwhile our PR came through in April 2008 and we essentially had to move by May 2011 to keep the PR. We’d set a deadline of end 2010 for the move. When my husband told his employers he wanted to move to Perth they agreed to shift his job over, and I’ve a few freelance contracts lined up that I can fit round Mini’s school. We are so lucky this has worked out this way, but at the same time it’s a reflection of how hard my husband’s worked so that his employer is being so helpful. But he’s lucky he works for an appreciative company.

Leaving Singapore
We shipped our stuff, sold off the crap etc., then spent Christmas in the UK (very stressful: my Mum was ill and in lots of pain and weather was awful) and then had 2 nights in Singapore to tie up loose ends on the way back.

The original plan was to fly on 30/12 and spend New Year with my cousin, who lived south of Perth. Our tenants were due to move out on 4thJanuary so we’d then move in on the 5th, having selected and ordered the substantial amount of furniture we need and arranged to have it delivered on 5th.

But then my cousin got promoted and moved to Auckland. Luckily the tenants moved out early so we had somewhere to go, but the only furniture in the house was a dishwasher. The plan was to stay in a hotel near the airport on the night of 30/12 (flight arrives 21.10), then buy inflatable beds, small fridge, stuff to see us through New Year on 31/12.

Day 0
We flew from Singapore to Perth with Tiger because the flights were cheaper, I could pre-book 30kg each of luggage allowance (rather than SQ’s 20kg) and the excess baggage charge per kilo is lower. I’d “splurged” and paid extra for the front-row seats.

Arrived at the airport in a very full Maxi Cab to discover that we couldn’t have the front seats as it’s deemed an emergency exit row (being near to the front door) and they don’t allow kids to sit there.

Baggage was weighed and there was (gulp) 130kg, so had to pay $720 in excess baggage. It’s not that I’m a high-maintenance traveller, but we had winter clothes, Mini’s Xmas presents, some stuff for the house, Australian car seat for Mini, stroller, 4 computers etc. etc. Still cheaper than air-freight I think.

Flight was OK, except that husband started to feel a bit fluey so found a row of empty seats and crashed, leaving me to entertain Mini who, luckily, was both tired and well-behaved.

Arrived at Perth and retrieved our 13 bags, car seat, stroller (plus 3 pieces of hand-luggage). This required 4 trolleys, but luckily Mini thought it was great to be allowed to push one and managed not to maim anybody.

Customs people were very pleasant (tip: when going to Perth always have food to declare as the queue is shorter) but all 18 pieces of luggage had to be taken off the 4 trolleys, put on conveyer belt, and re-loaded. Since I’ve had 2 hernia ops and am not supposed to (but do) lift more than 10 kilos, husband was feeling like shit, and Mini was trying to help this was not straightforward.

Next issue on entering the arrivals hall was to locate the luggage lockers. It had become apparent during the planning process that there was no way we’d get all this stuff into one car. So I’d looked online, saw there were lockers and their dimensions, and decided to leave the winter clothes, the dirty laundry and some of the toys in the lockers until later in the week. So we 4 trolleys (with constant shouts of “Be careful Mini” walked up and down the airport trying to work out where the “Baggage Lockers” sign was actually pointing. After about 6 trips we discovered that the lockers are actually outside, across the road, in the short stay car park. Of course.

Mini helpfully accompanied me and one trolley while SD (flaking big time by this point) guarded the other three. Tip: if using the baggage lockers at Perth airport and your $20 note is repeatedly ejected by the machine, try screaming “take the f$%*ing money you bloody locker” as that seems to do the trick.

So, the 6 of us (3 humans, 3 trolleys) head off to the taxi rank. Husband unloads the bags while I free Mini’s car seat from the taped-up packaging and strap him in. All the way through the taxi driver is saying “You don’t need that.” Me: “Erm yes, I do” and (TD): “Just rest it on the seat, don’t bother strapping it” and “If he’s over 2 just use the seat belt, there are no police around” and “Which hotel? (x5)” As I finish my struggle to strap in an unfamiliar car seat in the dark (“I’ll tell you the hotel in a minute when I can check” x 5) the driver behind comes to shout at me because the taxi rank is only 1 car wide and we’re holding up the queue.

All the way to the airport the taxi driver droned on about how crap Perth is compared to Canberra, how it has the most over-priced property in the world (when we said it was cheaper than Singapore he said “Oh you can’t compare” but then did), and how it’s just suburbs with bits of bush in between (which I really like, btw, makes it feel like the “real” Australia).

So we got to the hotel. Husband was awake half the night feeling fluey, Mini was up late because of the flight etc., and I was awake till 2.30am with excitement at seeing the house again, dread that maybe it wasn’t nice as I remembered or the tenants had trashed it or the agent had forgotten to get the gas/electricity/water turned on, and hundreds of other practical things whizzing round my head.

Day 1
We got up at 6, had breakfast (I was very confused about a news story about losing the Ashes until I remembered we were in Australia now), picked up hire car at 8, headed off to the house.

I always feel excitement building as we get closer and closer (as I said to my husband yesterday, I wonder how long that will continue) and then we drive over a hill, see the sea and let out a huge sigh.

The house was still there (!), the key worked, the burglar alarm code was right, and it was immaculate. When we came 2 years ago to buy lights and stuff we turned up expecting to see a beautiful house and found an incredibly filthy one covered in builders’ dust. But it was immaculate. We’ve had 2 years of tenants and the second lot had a 2-year-old. I can only think they’ve re-touched the walls. Or kept the kid in a straight-jacket.

It was just as lovely as I remembered, the sky was deep blue, and even my husband (not into houses at all) had a tear in his eye at the thought that we were going to live in this lovely place.

But we were on a clock, it was New Years Eve, so we had to get stuff for the weekend.

So we head off to Joondalup and into K Mart.

We buy inflatable beds, pillows, kettle, various housey stuff. We have 2 trolleys, both full, and husband has a fridge balanced on top of his and I have a big box of “Kitchen Starter Set.” Big problem is that, although we have the beds, they’ve sold out of pumps for them.

Husband is starting to feel like crap again so I leave him with the 2 trolleys on a bench outside K-Mart. Mini and I “nip” down to Target to get pump. At least it would be a nip but Mini, understandably bored from trailing round K-Mart, wants to ride on every machine we pass, look in windows, go to toy shops etc. so it takes ages to even get there.

Target appears to be staffed by spotty youths with zero product knowledge. When I ask about pumps I’m directed to the sports section. I wander up and down with no joy and ask another spotty youth. “I’ve no idea if we have any.” “Ok, can you tell me who I can ask who WOULD know?” “You could ask him”, pointing at another spotty youth working in the Ipod section. Not surprisingly he didn’t know either so having dragged Mini up and down the aisles multiple times I give up and go back to husband, who has his head in his hands and looks grey.

I spot a sports shop out of the corner of my eye, and manage to buy a foot pump before we head back to the car.

We get there and quickly realise what should have been obvious from the start; there is no way all of this is going to fit in the car, especially the fridge. The only conceivable way to do this would be to take out Mini’s car seat, put down the back seat, and then I wait while husband takes it all home then comes back for us. But husband’s in no fit state to drive, has a terrible sense of direction at the best of times and so would probably get lost, and it’s not even clear how (if at all) the back seat reclines. If husband waited with Mini and car seat while I drove home then I wouldn’t be able to lift the fridge out as it’s too heavy.

We’re knackered, stressed, and both on the verge of tears. I remembered picking somebody up from the station near the shopping centre last year and there being taxis, so we decide that husband and fridge will go home by taxi. So we load everything else into the car, stick (a by now tired and grumpy) Mini in the stroller, and head off back through the shopping centre to the exit at the other side where the station is. Since we can’t see over the trolley due to the size of the fridge and the centre is heaving this takes about 20 minutes.

We get to the station and there are taxis (hooray!) but too small to fit fridge (boo!). But at least we can ask the taxi drivers for the number to call (although I mis-heard and got Qantas the first time), and wait 10 minutes for a station wagon. We only have one key for the house, though. I got a copy cut in the UK but we don’t know for sure it’ll work, so I give that to husband together with the remote control for the garage so he hasn’t got to wait in the hot sun. Then I head off back through the shopping centre with (a now mercifully asleep) Mini in the stroller.

The key works. We unload all the stuff and decide to blow up the beds first so husband can crash. But, OF COURSE, the pump won’t blow up the beds. Oh, and the cable on the fridge is too short to reach the wall socket.

I know that Toys R Us sometimes sells pumps, so back into the car, back to Joondalup, bribe Mini with yet another toy to behave, and HOORAY they do sell battery operated pumps.

Bought meat at the nice butchers at Currambine (SO cheap compared to Singapore), heaved an overloaded trolley round the supermarket, bottle shop (boy did we need a drink). Only problem is that the shop where I planned to buy dongle and phone SIMs was out of stock. So where can I get them? Back to Joondalup for the third time that day.

Dongle is 3 and is hopeless. If we stand on one leg and hang out of window can pick up a signal for 10 seconds. Sometimes. Phone SIM cards are Vodafone, and reception on those is OK.

Well that was day 1. Funnily enough didn’t make it to midnight to celebrate New Year.

Day 2 (New Year’s Day)
No big dramas (apart from Drama Queen Mini screaming the place down when made him wear sunscreen.)

Day 3
Sent husband and Mini to beach while I went shopping for (permanent) fridges, washing machine etc. Salespeople were very pleasant and, being the sales, prices were reduced. Unfortunately, being the sales, no stock of the fridge etc. I wanted so have to wait.

Having problems sleeping – lie there for hours thinking about the stuff to do. At 4am this morning I gave up and wandering round the house checking measurements!

Getting tired now, so concluding thoughts.

Having been to this house and the surrounding area on holiday a few times, it doesn’t feel quite real; when I see our names on the mail I get excited. But it feels (and always has) felt like home, do hopefully will work out

Day 4
Public holiday. At the beach. Lovely.

Day 5
First fully-functioning business day after New Year so had scheduled trip to IKEA. Since there’s one in Singapore too I have planned to the n’th degree and need, inter alia, 4 sofas, 1 sofa bed, bed, 2 armchairs and a gazillion sets of Expedit shelves for the playroom.

We get there for opening time and I go to Customer services first and explain that I need tons of stuff. A leaflet says they offer a “picking service” and that sounds ideal. I’m advised (by a fairly clueless person) to go home and call up to order.

This doesn’t sound terribly sensible so I start going round the store while husband distracts Mini with multiple ice-creams and waits for my call for help.

At the sofa counter a very helpful lady tells me that for $50 they can put through my order, pick it and send to the delivery section without me ever having to touch it. This sounds like $50 well spent so I read out my list and then continue round picking up odds and sods amazed at how easy this is.

Until we get to the checkout and I realise with horror that they don’t take Amex, on which we have a massive limit and which I’d planned to use. I wasn’t sure how much limit we had on our visa card, and couldn’t check (as I’d planned to) because we couldn’t access the Internet. And although we had an Aussie bank account with plenty of cash in it we hadn’t yet picked up EPTPOS cards etc., this being the first business day since New Year.

So we’re served, by a trainee, and Visa is rejected. I try to pay by various UK credit cards, debit cards etc and we’re still $2,000 short (bill was $6500). There’s a huge queue of impatient people, I just want the ground to open up and swallow me. I ask to see the supervisor so we can arrange to suspend the order while I go grab cash from home and I’m told I can’t. Mini gets so upset by all the stress he pees while I’m holding him so, me now covered with pee, they finally point out that there’s an ATM in the foyer and, even though it’s a credit card only till, they’ll take cash.

The ATM will only dispense $200 at a time, and both husband and I have S$1000 daily withdrawal limit so it takes forever to get A$1400, then luckily I manage to get $600 via my UK credit card.

We pay. Finally.

We then go to the delivery section, having paid $178 for delivery. They have a “Merchandise pick up section” next to delivery and, on enquiry, I’m told that we have to pick our stuff up (all 33 boxes) and push to delivery at the next counter. We sit there for ages with an increasingly fractious Mini waiting for our stuff and eventually I double check at the delivery section to be told that the $50 I paid means it all happens automatically and they’ll call me when it’s ready. (In fact it took >24 hours for the picking, such that they had to put back delivery, so I’m glad we didn’t wait).

Later that day I went into ANZ to organise cards and the lady there said IKEA’s EPTPOS machines are out of date and won’t process cards with an expiry later than 2013. Sure enough, mine’s 2015!

Went into Telstra to organise Internet at the house. Will take at least a week (groan).

Day 6
Mini’s 4th birthday. We spend 4 hours assembling a trampoline, which he loves, then go to collect the car which the dealer we’re buying our “proper” car from is lending us until the boat comes in. It’s a KIA in a horrible shade of brown, so that husband calls it the turd mobile.

Day 7
Washer, dryer, vacuum delivered plus the IKEA delivery. It’s a whole van full. The only thing I miss about Singapore so far is the IKEA assembly service, which only charges 6% of purchase price – a fantastic bargain. We may get someone to assemble some of the bigger bookshelves but we’ve been working our way through the other stuff with the “help” of Mini.

Day 8
Went (in 2 cars) to collect the cats from quarantine. They were, not surprisingly, a bit freaked out but are calming down as time goes on. Having them here makes it feel a bit more like home.

Lovely drive, and within an hour from our place, which has a lot of sand and scrub, around we were in the hills with almost an alpine feel.

Took Mini for another look at the day-care centre he’ll be going to 1 day per week. He moaned about going (“I want to go to school in Singapore”) but within 5 minutes was playing happily with the other kids.

Day 9
(Sat 8/1). Took the hire car back so we’re just left with the turd mobile until our car comes. Husband wants to buy an old Saab convertible too. It’s because he’s always wanted one and they’re cheap here, but also because he hates being seen in the turd mobile.

Had a wander round Leederville and pizza for dinner at the country club just down the road from us. Beautiful place but, in typical Aussie style, really laid back – happy for husband to roll up in shorts and for us to bring Mini.

Overall (updated today, 15/1)
Fridge, IKEA and Internet dramas aside, this has been so fabulous. The house is wonderful and it’s great to see my (many!) plans coming together. People are incredibly friendly and helpful and shopping (been doing a lot of that!) is a pleasure (and so cheap!). There are parks and playgrounds everywhere, the beach is 10 minutes walk, the shops are a short drive, and the sun is shining. Without Singapore’s humidity, though, we’ve barely used the air con. Our local pubs are the marina and the country club, and there’s just enough bush around to make me feel like it’s the “real” Australia.

Since we’ve already gone through the home-sickness thing, we’re out of touch with British TV anyway and used to crap TV in Singapore, the Singapore driving standards are absolutely diabolical and everything (except bananas, it seems) is cheaper here than in Singapore we should be spared a lot of the issues that bother other new migrants.

In short, I loves it (sic) and every so often I find myself breaking out into a huge grin that this is for real.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

jayne3411 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adventures down under (so far!)

Fab post, loved it, made me laugh

I can just imagine that being me when we go, but a few more swear words i'm guessing

Good luck to you all
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Enjoyed that
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Sooperb post! Thanks for sharing - made me laugh Good luck with your new life in Oz!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

You must have the patience of a saint.I think at this stage I would have drunk the bottle shop dry.Welcome to Perth. and to your new life.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:00 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one, Fo3.

Guest room ready yet?

x
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:49 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Really enjoyed reading your post, very entertaining! Welcome to oz, the rest of your life, starts here, YAY!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Good description of the wonders of shopping in suburban Perth. I have to psych myself up for about a week before I can make it into Ikea. Haven't yet been able to find my way out of the new, bigger store, without asking for help, so you did fantastically well, jet-lag and small kid as well.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Nice one, Fo3.

Guest room ready yet?

x
It will be by Tuesday (IKEA delivering bed tomorrow). If you come then you can help me unpack the container on Wednesday
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:19 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, when I was a bored expat wife I helped a few people in Singapore move - one of whom was on holiday at the time
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

What a brilliant report - thanks so much. Glad you are settling in well.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:11 am
Just Joined

ab735 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great update F.O.3 , would love to hear more when your settled.

Anthony
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:38 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post. Welcome to Perth Fo3.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:46 am
Just Joined

grefattys is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Australia. Enjoy your life here.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Great reading! You seemed very calm on Friday for how stressful that sounded to read. Did you have any joy with Retravision?

Bet you'll be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow awaiting your container. Hope to see you on Thursday.

Alison x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.