6 years in.....

Old Aug 17th 2013, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 years in.....

Today is the 5th anniversary of our arrival, all fresh-faced and smiling, despite arriving at 6am.

We have not really done as much as many out here seem to do, but we have bought a house (after 8 months in a horrible mouldy rental next to a trainline), become citizens, and celebrated our silver wedding.

I'd like to have done more, but the funds got eaten up with medical bills due to my unexpected diagnosis of MS about 6 months after we arrived, and having to go back to the UK for dad's funeral.

However, life moves on, and DD is about to finish school, and go to Uni. OH is enjoying his job despite the long hours, and I'm still not doing much......
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:39 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: 6 years in.....

Happy Anniversary.

Would you do it all again?
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Today is the 5th anniversary of our arrival, all fresh-faced and smiling, despite arriving at 6am.

We have not really done as much as many out here seem to do, but we have bought a house (after 8 months in a horrible mouldy rental next to a trainline), become citizens, and celebrated our silver wedding.

I'd like to have done more, but the funds got eaten up with medical bills due to my unexpected diagnosis of MS about 6 months after we arrived, and having to go back to the UK for dad's funeral.

However, life moves on, and DD is about to finish school, and go to Uni. OH is enjoying his job despite the long hours, and I'm still not doing much......
Congratulations on your 5 years in Australia and on your 25th wedding anniversary.

Do you have any regrets or are you glad you made the move?
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Aussieversary Caroline - here's to the next 5
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all - yes, I'd do it again. Although my life is only slightly different here, it is the MS that has stopped it being what it should be. For me, it is worth it because my OH is so much happier, and DD is thriving instead of being the outcast/bullied because she is quirky. I'd have MS in the UK, only it probably wouldn't have been diagnosed and I'd still be put down as neurotic, and all my teeth would have rotted!!

DD reckons she is asian- fits in well here!!!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all - yes, I'd do it again. Although my life is only slightly different here, it is the MS that has stopped it being what it should be. For me, it is worth it because my OH is so much happier, and DD is thriving instead of being the outcast/bullied because she is quirky. I'd have MS in the UK, only it probably wouldn't have been diagnosed and I'd still be put down as neurotic, and all my teeth would have rotted!!

DD reckons she is asian- fits in well here!!!
Caroline it was worth it for a new kitchen if nothing else!!!! I have survived the new bathrooms now, please no more renovations, at least for a while.
Congratulations on your citizenship.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tomar
Caroline it was worth it for a new kitchen if nothing else!!!! I have survived the new bathrooms now, please no more renovations, at least for a while.
Congratulations on your citizenship.
I'd had a new kitchen and bathroom put into my UK home - nothing like the cost or palaver that it is here, despite knocking through to make one big room instead of a separate kitchen and dining room. The house had had new windows, a new boiler, new soffits and fascias, a new patio, new carpets, an extension so we had a downstairs cloakroom and made the hall wider, and was freshly decorated. Then we came here, and are starting all over again!!
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

6 years now!!! My how time flies.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Still enjoying everything?
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Indeed, how time flies. I hope you're still having fun.

Our Australian adventure has come to an end (for the time being) after 8 eventful years. We escaped about 6 weeks ago and it feels so good to be back, although it's not so good that my first born is still in Oz with a year of uni left to finish. Middle child came with us and is restarting med school here at the end of next month and luckily the youngest has been successful in getting a place at the school at the top of our wish list! London is booming and until the last few days we have been blessed with beautiful summer weather. So far, so good.

Anyway, all the best to you and your family for the next 6 years and beyond.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Still enjoying everything?
Yup- apart from the destructive wildlife, which has just decimated my freesias, daffodils and succulents, just as they were at their blooming loveliest.

Getting new double glazed windows in the bedrooms as our Aussieversary present. Fingers crossed they get installed next week. (We ordered them in early May.)
Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:50 am

Yup- apart from the destructive wildlife, which has just decimated my freesias, daffodils and succulents, just as they were at their blooming loveliest.

Getting new double glazed windows in the bedrooms as our Aussieversary present. Fingers crossed they get installed next week. (We ordered them in early May.)
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Just read your update from 2013 Caroline. I didn't realise you had MS, and to get it after arriving in Oz too must have been a challenging experience for you.

I just want to say well done to you for coping with what life had to throw at you and even after all the crap you've had to deal with, you've still managed to hold it together and find happiness there. All the best for the future Mrs!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dangit- new windows NOT happening next week due to the installers being deported!!! Turns out that the firm employs Brits since they know how to install UPVC double glazing "properly" as they said, but one of them had a problem with his visa that didn't get sorted in time and is now back in blighty whilst it gets sorted out. Going to be September 22nd before they get installed.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:53 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Dangit- new windows NOT happening next week due to the installers being deported!!! Turns out that the firm employs Brits since they know how to install UPVC double glazing "properly" as they said, but one of them had a problem with his visa that didn't get sorted in time and is now back in blighty whilst it gets sorted out. Going to be September 22nd before they get installed.
Bloody foreigners

xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.