Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 months update from a ping pong pom

6 months update from a ping pong pom

Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:47 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default 6 months update from a ping pong pom

Hi All

Just thought I would post an update on our second time around move to Oz. We are Ping Pong Poms, lived in Holland in the early 90's and ping ponged from there regular, then moved to Oz and did exactly the same. Never being able to settle.

The first time we came here was Jan 1997, there was just me and OH. I was very homesick and never settled here, I hated Oz and everything about it, there was never anyone thing that made me feel like that I just had this overwhelming feeling of not wanting to be here. We decided to leave and return back to the UK in 2000, this time it was me, OH and three new born babies (triplets). Arrived back in UK and I swore I would never return back to Oz, we settled in Staffordshire and was relatively happy for the next 6 years. Boys grew up and life was good, then last February 2006 I came home from work and said to OH we should go back to Oz, do not know to this day why I said it, OH didnt think I meant it as the subject never arose in all time we had been back in UK. Anyway it took us until August 2006 to get everything sorted and we flew out on 1st September.

We arrived in Brisbane and stayed with family in Jimboomba, they have a house and a granny flat on 7 acres. The boys loved to see the kangaroos at the back door as well as the lizards, parotts and green tree frogs everywhere. I got work within two weeks and we settled back in to Oz life. We stayed with Family until January and moved down to the Gold Coast. Boys have settled into school and I work 10 mins away from home. We go to the beach nearly every night or we go walking down the local park area. On Fridays we go fishing at Tallebugera Creek, then we have fish and chips on Burleigh Head beach front. Its like we have never been away.

I do not feel those strong feelings of home sickness I had the first time around, I feel happier and contented second time around. I miss my Mum and Dad and wish I could "Pop home" to see them, but I can't. I have not whinged and moaned about Oz as I did last time, I really do feel happy. I sit down sometimes and wonder what it is that is different, maybe its my Sons, who knows. I am just glad we came back.

Maybe its early days yet, but last time around I was ready to go home as the plane touched down, well maybe even as it left Heathrow!!

For me I think my days of Ping Ponging are over, I am pleased as not only is it emotionaly draining, its a bloody expensive hobby.

E
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:16 pm
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months update from a ping pong pom

lovely post so great that you are feeling settled we will hopefully get to the GC within 6 months.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 3:39 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

We are living down near Burleigh which is south of the Gold Coast. I am off for a week now and have just got back from the beach fishing. Here are some pics of Burleigh beach, then the view of the Gold Coast/Surfers from Burleigh beach, Burleigh front with the trees and a couple of the childrens beach near Tallebudgera leisure centre. Hope they upload ok.

It is nice to be so near to the water.
Attached Thumbnails 6 months update from a ping pong pom-108_0823.jpg   6 months update from a ping pong pom-107_0784.jpg   6 months update from a ping pong pom-108_0816.jpg   6 months update from a ping pong pom-108_0831.jpg   6 months update from a ping pong pom-108_0818.jpg  

Old Feb 28th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

From one Ping Ponger to another, really pleased you are enjoying yourself this time around and long may those feelings continue

LibbyX
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:22 am
Home in 2010.

Thanks for that Libby, are your circumstances similar? Have you been here gone back only to return? If so what are your feelings this time around.

Jayne
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if it's a change in priorities ... we discussed moving while I was expecting first child but husband always felt he couldn't leave his parents, family, behind .... now eldest son will soon be 6 and his focus is now on his own children, instead of his parents. It's still hard to leave them but your outlook just seems to change with children .... in my opinion! Well done for having the nerve to do it twice, it must've been scary!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:07 am
Home in 2010.

Scary the first time around yes, but this time wasn't scared at all. Maybe the boys have altered everything and I do not realise it.
One thing I did notice when I returned back to UK with the boys all our friends had moved on in their lives and most of them do not have children so we drifted apart, also when we arrived back our family were around every day, then it became every week, then month.....etc etc. Now we text more than we did in UK and we email more. We also get cheap phone cards to call home on a weekly basis.

I wonder if it is the case that when you leave the UK and your freinds that they move on but you don't, Would be interesting to see how many ping pong poms go back to the UK and slot back in to where they left their lives or is it that you just can't.

Anyway the boys love it and we love it, its great exploring all the places with them.

Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:39 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Scary the first time around yes, but this time wasn't scared at all. Maybe the boys have altered everything and I do not realise it.
One thing I did notice when I returned back to UK with the boys all our friends had moved on in their lives and most of them do not have children so we drifted apart, also when we arrived back our family were around every day, then it became every week, then month.....etc etc. Now we text more than we did in UK and we email more. We also get cheap phone cards to call home on a weekly basis.

I wonder if it is the case that when you leave the UK and your freinds that they move on but you don't, Would be interesting to see how many ping pong poms go back to the UK and slot back in to where they left their lives or is it that you just can't.

Anyway the boys love it and we love it, its great exploring all the places with them.

absolutely agree with you on this, it has taken us some time to realise that friends do change with time. of course they will always hold a place in our hearts but you can't live your life for your friends because they will eventually do something with thier lives that doesn't/can't include you like the old days and your left without them and without the life you wanted. family is a toughie, it will always be hard but you have to put your children and your wants/needs first. if they love you distance won't matter, and like everything, you being on the other side of the world will become normality to them,
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post

Really pleased that you feel so settled this time around, there seems to be more and more people going for a second shot at it! tells you something doesn't it?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:26 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curly
Fantastic post

Really pleased that you feel so settled this time around, there seems to be more and more people going for a second shot at it! tells you something doesn't it?
it sure does - in my case im a f**kwit
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:29 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
We are living down near Burleigh which is south of the Gold Coast. I am off for a week now and have just got back from the beach fishing. Here are some pics of Burleigh beach, then the view of the Gold Coast/Surfers from Burleigh beach, Burleigh front with the trees and a couple of the childrens beach near Tallebudgera leisure centre. Hope they upload ok.

It is nice to be so near to the water.
The pictures are beautiful!! We are heading to Tallebudgera Valley to start off with to stay with relatives, but Burleigh Heads is the closest beach to them and one of our faves along with Rainbow Bay. Long may you enjoy!!!! C x
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:07 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
it sure does - in my case im a f**kwit

snap

seriously though i will never regret coming back, it has shown me what i really want. you can't buy that.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 2:06 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 6 months update from a ping pong pom

Eric, great forum for your triplets (you may be aware of it already).

www.amba.org.au

Buzzy (father of twins)
Old Feb 28th 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

Thank you for taking the time to let people know how you are feeling and how you came to make your decision.

It's great to hear positive threads about people when they "ping pong".

We went to Oz in April 2004 and returned in November 2004!!!! I know, I know

We have talked about returning virtually on a daily basis since we have returned.

My OH has stated that he is ready to give it another go, me on other hand are up and down like a yo yo at the moment, however, saying that I am slowly coming round.

I seem to be more nervous about returning that I did about going in the first place. I think it is mainly because I know what to expect.

On the other hand it is great to know what you are going to and there would be some things I would be looking forward to seeing/doing again.

Some days it seems the most easiest decision in the world to make, others not so.

I'm sure I'll get there and it will all just slot into place

Lovely thread, may your happy days continue for you and your family.

Michelle
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:21 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent honest post. Thanks for sharing
J x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.