6 months in NSW

Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default 6 months in NSW

I can hardly believe we've been living here for 6 months already! Overall, it's been really good and we're all adjusting well. We are a family of 6 - 2 adults, 4 children between the ages of 13 and 4 (3 of which have had birthdays and birthday parties here, which certainly has helped).

The particulars: When we arrived in August 2010, it was wet and cold. It was especially pronounced for us as we were coming from summer and the holiday rental we were staying did not warm up well at all. When we moved into our permanent housing, it stayed warmer, so that was better.

The primary school aged kids started school and fell ill in the 2nd week of school and the contagion spread to myself and the preschooler. He later got an ear infection that the doctor missed diagnosed and was on the wrong medication. His eardrum ruptured 3 days later. Meanwhile, OH was still struggling to find a job. It took him 2 months to find employment and he's the sole breadwinner, anxious days.

OH makes the 90 minute commute by train to Sydney each work day. It's a difficult schedule (leaves by 5:30am returns 5:15pm), but he's doing it. With OH working, I began looking for preschool for the 4 year old. Then I applied to, and was accepted at, 2 different grad schools. I hope to begin school later this year.

At Christmas time, I had some difficulty getting my head around the fact that it was the Christmas season. I'm not used to a packed church to see the Christmas Pageant in 35 degree heat.

Our oldest signed up for nippers and has loved it. Our other 3 have watched her and are now interested in nippers for next year. A huge change - especially for our 10 year old who used to "hate the beach". Now he spends hours in the surf with his board.

OH and I are healthier. We walk more. We love walking down to the beach or the headlands for the view. We saw our first whales! What a thrill that was.

Our kids have adjusted well. Our high schooler has made many friends and is doing well academically. Our elementary aged children are likewise engaged. We consider the schools here "better" in a number of ways. I help out in the classroom at the elementary school so I have a first hand view of how things work.

I'll write again in 6 months time when we've gone through a full winter - and watch the summer unfold abroad - to see if I'm having a wobble.

Differences: I have to say that Australia is more expensive (and the taxes higher) to what we are used to. Even the high priced bananas jumped $3/kg the day after tropical cyclone Yasi flattened the banana trees in northern Queensland. It comes with the lifestyle.

Rego for the cars was different..... 100 points system is different - even to activate the bank card. The management company for our rental has become more difficult to deal with (new person to work through is denying arrangements made with previous person - trying to pass on costs).

Overall, the move has been successful. We miss family and friends, but not the winter - especially this one! (a lot of snow and cold). Skype, and electronic media have allowed us to remain in contact, which has helped.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months in NSW

Great update heres to the next 6 months
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Great update heres to the next 6 months
Thanks, Lindzi!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:39 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you're getting settled now, hope the next 6 months are good
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Yup here's to the next 6 months..

We have been here 3 years next month and have loved every minute of it.
Its been the best move we ever did (UK to NZ to OZ)..we dont look back, and continue to enjoy living in this fabulous country.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kapri
It sounds like you're getting settled now, hope the next 6 months are good
Yes, Kapri, we're feeling settled now. Sure love the lifestyle
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rascal
Yup here's to the next 6 months..

We have been here 3 years next month and have loved every minute of it.
Its been the best move we ever did (UK to NZ to OZ)..we dont look back, and continue to enjoy living in this fabulous country.
Wow, Rascal, 3 years. You're almost ready to apply for citizenship. I agree that the country is wonderful. What's Canberra like? We haven't been there yet....but hope to
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Well considering we had planned to move to Brisbane, but got almost 'forced' to come here..lol we aint doing too bad.
Canberra feels more like 'home' than home ever did. It reminds me of UK, Holland, Germany, it has so many different vibes to it, we just love it.
We have to pinch ourselves at times we are actually in Australia, because I swear at times, I feel more like I am in UK mixed with Holland.
Considering Holland was a place I visited lots when I lived in UK, I missed Holland so much when we lived (eerrr survived) in NZ.
In fact, we missed everything about Europe when we lived in NZ.
But since coming here, well, its changed everything, we miss nothing at all about UK/Europe...ok football maybe and a decent Indian and will add Asda whilst I am at it..lol
Our friends here moved from Brisbane, they work in Customs and was 'forced' here the same month we arrived. They came kicking and screaming but then had a nice big fat relocation cheque pushed their way, and they came to Canberra. Asked if they miss QLD or would ever go back, I get a firm NO, from them. Yet, they had never considered Canberra before, same as we hadn't. But its without doubt, the best move we ever made and we know we will never move again anywhere now. We are 'home' and loving it!!
I hope you continue to love living in Australia. Its awesome.