Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

5 MONTHS IN CAIRNS AND NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK.

5 MONTHS IN CAIRNS AND NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK.

Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 5 MONTHS IN CAIRNS AND NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK.

GREEN ISLAND PHOTOS

We had a good day on Green Island but found it was very busy and were not that impressed with the resort there. However, it is much more accesible than Fitzroy for those unsteady on their feet and has a beautiful sandy beach and good trips out in the glass bottom bottom, a better family choice. Fitzroy's walks have boulders and uneven tracks so not so good for elderly (like me, ha ha). We also found that it was a bit difficult to swim due to the large coral right off the shore (much of which was dead). the jetty was, however, good for snorkelling.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
GREEN ISLAND PHOTOS

We had a good day on Green Island but found it was very busy and were not that impressed with the resort there. However, it is much more accesible than Fitzroy for those unsteady on their feet and has a beautiful sandy beach and good trips out in the glass bottom bottom, a better family choice. Fitzroy's walks have boulders and uneven tracks so not so good for elderly (like me, ha ha). We also found that it was a bit difficult to swim due to the large coral right off the shore (much of which was dead). the jetty was, however, good for snorkelling.
Lets try again with the photos!!
Attached Thumbnails 5 MONTHS IN CAIRNS AND NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK.-green-island.jpg   5 MONTHS IN CAIRNS AND NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK.-green-island-028.jpg   5 MONTHS IN CAIRNS AND NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK.-green-island-jetty.jpg   5 MONTHS IN CAIRNS AND NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK.-green-island-low-tide-098.jpg   5 MONTHS IN CAIRNS AND NO INTENTIONS OF GOING BACK.-green-island..great-barrier-reef.jpg  

Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Gorgeous photos Liz

Thanks Karen..I will be posting more tommorow...
Old Sep 15th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

So jealous
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic pictures and it is wonderful to hear someone who is so happy with their decision to relocate. Have to admit you make me want to move to Cairns today.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome update, the pics are fab

More, more, more!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:04 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

It will be our turn soon SC

ARRRGGGGHHHH cant wait, hurry up January 6th
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

sarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nice

I am so jealous, it looks so lovely. I cant wait to get there, I should have been there now but we cant sell the house (like many others) so we decided to apply for a sponsored permanent visa while we waited, now i find that there is up to 7 months waiting time for the nomination before I can apply for the visa (arghhhhh). So im now looking at late next year, Im glad my new employers are keeping my job for me ( I owe them a cold beer). Anyway I will be keeping an eye on this thread to keep me going. Thanks x
Old Sep 15th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sarmstrong
I am so jealous, it looks so lovely. I cant wait to get there, I should have been there now but we cant sell the house (like many others) so we decided to apply for a sponsored permanent visa while we waited, now i find that there is up to 7 months waiting time for the nomination before I can apply for the visa (arghhhhh). So im now looking at late next year, Im glad my new employers are keeping my job for me ( I owe them a cold beer). Anyway I will be keeping an eye on this thread to keep me going. Thanks x
Wow..they must be fantastic employers to keep your job that long..what do you do? Good luck and keep us updated.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
It will be our turn soon SC

ARRRGGGGHHHH cant wait, hurry up January 6th
getting excited Kaye?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:48 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

what makes you think that
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

A SPECIAL MOMENT AT KEWARRA BEACH

I will class this as part of my update as it has been the most defining moment since we arrived in Cairns.

I finished work at 4.45 and got home just after 5. We walked to our local beach, Kewarra and played with the dog for an hour before having a quick drink at Kewarra Beach Resort Beach Bar. It is only open fron 5 until 7 in the evening and a few hours during lunch. It is, however, positioned in a beautiful spot on Kewarra Beach. the reason they only serve drinks at the beach until 7/7.30 is so that they don't attract riff raff.
They also have happy hour between 5.30 and 6.30. 2 glasses of Chardonnay at 10 dollars seemed good and then after the happy hour it was still only 12 dollars..not bad for an upmarket resort. The dog even got fed biscuitys by the owner of the bar! All happy. So we sat there with the dog, until dusk turned to night. Then the moon appeared to rise from the ocean..a full moon, almost touching the ocean and reflecting so brightly in the water that everyone at the bar left their drinks to see it.
For us, that defined why we were here and why we want to live near the beach. Where in the U.K could you finish work, walk to the beach and see a full moon reflecting in still water the way we did. It was a simple, special moment...didn't have the camera but the guy who runs the bar said it happened quite often.
We then came home and are now cooking steak on the BBQ..it is the first time in many years I have felt truly content and don't even mind going to work the next day.

Simple things, a nice glass of Chardonnay at a nice unspoilt beach, nice staff and conversation..a local connection made and possibly a regular spot to chill out for an hour after work..and then the best full moon I have ever seen.
North Queensland is the place to be, we love our life and moving here was the best decision we have ever made. We sacrificed a lot to move and there are no regrets...

You can only regret what you havn't had the courage to try!! It is better to have regret than to not have lived....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Well done Liz especially after the busy weekend you have had Hope your m8 enjoyed Cairns? Good pics - I remember taking that one of you on the first day you arrived - hot and beautiful (the day that is) he he he!!!!

Have left a msg on yr phone re this Saturday ok chuck

Take care and dont spend too much money on that camper van girls we dont want you getting lost in the outback

Gill
x
Thanks Gill, we had a good weekend with our friend and Fitzroy Island was gorgeous..would highly recommend.

Sat sounds good..supposed to be decent over 25 bar called Buddha Bar on spence street..what do you think?

TRhanks..Liz and Jenxhg
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmmmmmmmmmm Ummmmmmmmmmmm
I reckon I could pass for a Buddha but don't know about you gals.

Lovely update Liz
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

sarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nice

You all sound like Cairns is the place to be, I want to be there now.... especially as over here the nights are starting to draw in and its always raining. I will be there next year working at Cairns Base, in the mean time im making the most of my family and friends. xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.