Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Old May 10th 2007, 11:13 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Originally Posted by johull
Hi

I live in Yorkshire, in a small village about 10 miles from Skipton and 9 miles from Bradford. Skiptin is nice but Bradford is the pits.

I lived in Robina on Gold Coast and remember meeting some people who had been home twice!!!!

My friend, who lives in Tallia, nearly went home to Scotland but stuck it out. She is glad she did now as when she came back for a visit she was shocked by the way her hometown had changed, and not for the better. Alot of the ladies who worked in local hotels have lost their jobs as they cant do as many shifts or work as cheap as the new arrivals. It is sad.

I just wish I had been stronger and listened to advice I was given. I love my house in UK, I like my village, its just when you get outside that it goes downhill. The other lady I met who came back went to Whitley Bay - she is really down as she realises she has made a massive mistake. She has lost so much money. She said she took her two youngest on the train and was shocked and appalled at the language and way the teens behaved. She never once experienced that in Oz and she was there for a year and a half.

I think the scary thing is you are so far away, its a long way and expensive if you feel like nipping back for a while, but looking back its a small price to pay.

Have you felt the same?
I lived near you i think...well only for 4 years, Queensbury.
Yes Bradford is the most horrid city ever, but it was always that way as far as i remember. My family still live there, but in the posh parts
I will probably be a ping ponger, no matter what someone tells you to do, you have to find it out for yourself.
But thats life
Old May 10th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Yes Bradford is the most horrid city ever, but it was always that way as far as i remember. My family still live there, but in the posh parts
I will probably be a ping ponger, no matter what someone tells you to do, you have to find it out for yourself.
But thats life
Hope you dont become a ping ponger.....but you do have to find out for yourself for sure......
Old May 10th 2007, 11:19 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
Well we've now changed our minds for the millionth and hopefully last time!! lol. We're now just going back to the UK for a hol, so we'll be coming back to Perth! Hopefully the hol will help us to decide for certain where we'd rather be and I do want to at least get citizenship and see how we feel at the 2 year mark. We do like Australia a lot and I personally feel it probably is a slightly better/safer country to bring up children in, but missing family and friends etc and having them around you also means a great deal.

At least doing it this way we wont regret shipping all of our stuff back etc if we'd made the wrong decision!!

All the best to those people who are still deciding etc, its not easy!

Stu
Great news Stu!

I think you are doing the right thing, and agree it would be such a waste to spend all that money to get back to UK again, only to find you want to come back.

You gonna remain in the rental then? You didn't sell your cars did you? Sorry for the questions, just curious

Enjoy your holiday
Old May 10th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Great news Stu!

I think you are doing the right thing, and agree it would be such a waste to spend all that money to get back to UK again, only to find you want to come back.

You gonna remain in the rental then? You didn't sell your cars did you? Sorry for the questions, just curious

Enjoy your holiday
Hiya,

Yeah we're staying in the rental, we managed to cancel it with the real estate company just in time! We sold one of the cars but it wasn't one we wanted to keep anyway. We've had a bit of trouble re a potential sale of one of the other cars but I dont think it will go very far.

Hope your house build is coming along ok.
Old May 10th 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulrachel
But thats life
What part are you living in? Have you settled well or do you have bad/sd days? I work int he city centre here and I think that reminds me more of what a mistake I made!! The countryside here is beautiful - summer nights are lovely but I would still rather be on Gold Coast. I think I needed to do it to be 100% sure - expensive excercise - but I now feel sure. I wasnt the first and I am sure I wont be the last. My husband finds it hard to understand though, he loved it and got a job he enjoyed, loved the life etc, but i was adament I wanted to come home, thankfully we have a strong marriage but I know he could throttle me!!!
Old May 11th 2007, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I live in Yorkshire, in a small village about 10 miles from Skipton and 9 miles from Bradford. Skiptin is nice but Bradford is the pits.
Yes, Bradford is the pits isn't it That's where I come from

Hi Wendy

When you say miss your son - how old is he and did he just decide to stay in UK - or did he come out and not like it and return? My oldest son wants to stay in UK now, but we want to go back. That is a worry, I know its his life and he can stay here with his father (ex husband) but I have two other sons to think about and honestly believe they can have a better life in Oz - I cant sleep at night for thinking about it.
He was 17 when we first applied, and was included on our application when we submitted it. Between us submitting it and being accepted he turned 18 and said he no longer wanted to be included because he had already decided on his future so we took him off it.

He is now at Hull University studying Compute Science with Games and is planning on trying to get to Japan to work. He has said he will come to Australia for a year on a WHV at some stage in the future though.

I had all the same worries as you, either we stayed in the UK for him or we moved here for us and the other kids. It's not easy being apart from him, but if we'd stayed he would still have gone to Uni, and still have tried to go to Japan then we would have been left in the UK resenting him because it would have been too late to apply.

Does your son have a visa? do you have citizenship yet?
Old May 11th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Hi Wendy

My son does have a visa - we have 3 years left on it. We didnt get citizenship. I have been told I can extend his visa if he isnt with us - which would be great. I have a feeling that he will change his mind at some point - he is 16 now and thinks he knows what he wants.

The other two boys are looking forward to coming back, so thats good and hopefully our optimism will rub off on him.

There are 4 families from our town going to Oz, one of them are visiting us this weekend - so that will be nice, it makes me feel positive that I am doing the right think and that others feel the same as me.
Old May 12th 2007, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy

My son does have a visa - we have 3 years left on it. We didnt get citizenship. I have been told I can extend his visa if he isnt with us - which would be great. I have a feeling that he will change his mind at some point - he is 16 now and thinks he knows what he wants.

The other two boys are looking forward to coming back, so thats good and hopefully our optimism will rub off on him.

There are 4 families from our town going to Oz, one of them are visiting us this weekend - so that will be nice, it makes me feel positive that I am doing the right think and that others feel the same as me.

How about telling him that you will support his decision to stay in the UK, but only if he comes out and gets his citizenship at some stage before his visa runs out. Just try to explain to him that if his visa does run out and he changes his mind after it runs out, it may be impossible to get in.

You never know, he may just decide to stay, but even if not he can always come back, whether in a few years or in 20 years.
Old May 12th 2007, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

V8sMum-in-Law is an unknown quantity at this point

Well there was a lady (about 20 years ago).

She got off the plane - Melbourne I think - and then promptly booked her flight back.

She had to pay back all immigration expenses. I believe that was in the 10 pound "tourist" days.

That would have to be the record!!!
Old May 13th 2007, 12:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you decided to stay, Stu. We found a house close to you, so looks like we'll be neighbours now instead of us taking over your lease. We'll have to get together once we get there and you get back from UK holiday.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:52 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Glad you decided to stay, Stu. We found a house close to you, so looks like we'll be neighbours now instead of us taking over your lease. We'll have to get together once we get there and you get back from UK holiday.
Where are you moving to, Dorothy ? When are you making the trip over ?
Old May 14th 2007, 8:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We got a brand new house in Clarkson. It's not quite complete yet, so we can't move in until the 28th. My last day of work here is on Friday and I'll be really sad to go. I love my job here. Love the people I work with and it's something new all the time. Oh well, hope I can find something there I will love as much that will let me work part time for people I love.
Anyway, the packing crew comes on Monday (21st) and the shippers come on Tuesday. The kids and I are going to stay at a friend's house Tuesday night and fly out on Wednesday morning. So, if all goes to plan I'll be at Hillary's next Thursday for lunch.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:48 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

We got a brand new house in Clarkson. It's not quite complete yet, so we can't move in until the 28th. My last day of work here is on Friday and I'll be really sad to go. I love my job here. Love the people I work with and it's something new all the time. Oh well, hope I can find something there I will love as much that will let me work part time for people I love.
Anyway, the packing crew comes on Monday (21st) and the shippers come on Tuesday. The kids and I are going to stay at a friend's house Tuesday night and fly out on Wednesday morning. So, if all goes to plan I'll be at Hillary's next Thursday for lunch.

Good luck with the move.
See you Thursday hopefully
Tracey
Old May 14th 2007, 10:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with everything, look forward to having you become a regular on Thursdays
Old May 14th 2007, 10:47 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by northernbird
Good luck with everything, look forward to having you become a regular on Thursdays
Me too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.