Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Old May 9th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Nothing is never simple
Oh that it was

I just went and saw Hot Fuzz from Shaun on the Dead people.....its good
Old May 9th 2007, 11:35 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Oh that it was

I just went and saw Hot Fuzz from Shaun on the Dead people.....its good
Yes, i've seen that, it made me smile
Old May 9th 2007, 11:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by down under
perth isnt for us,we need a place thats busy,7 day shopping,late night shopping all the time,lots of things for kids to do,sorry if im bashing perth but thats my opinion,perth doesnt like changing
and I thank god for that every day.
Old May 9th 2007, 12:20 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wafc - this migration malarcky is a right nightmare 'ain't it??!!

I normally hang out in the MBTUK forum and have seen your posts in there but just wanted to say good luck with it all - I hope you find peace in the right decision soon - you've got nothing to lose by staying a bit longer in Oz so I think the decision you've made to sit it out for a while longer is a good one.

I'm a great believer in fate and 'what's for you won't go past you' and I daresay at some stage something will happen to make the decsion for you.

Anyway best wishes and enjoy your visit back to the UK
Old May 9th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

'what's for you won't go past you'

nice quote that......
Old May 9th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Hi wafc - this migration malarcky is a right nightmare 'ain't it??!!

I normally hang out in the MBTUK forum and have seen your posts in there but just wanted to say good luck with it all - I hope you find peace in the right decision soon - you've got nothing to lose by staying a bit longer in Oz so I think the decision you've made to sit it out for a while longer is a good one.

I'm a great believer in fate and 'what's for you won't go past you' and I daresay at some stage something will happen to make the decsion for you.

Anyway best wishes and enjoy your visit back to the UK
Thanks a lot,

I do think our holiday decision is probably a good one and hopefully it may help us a little in the long run.
Old May 9th 2007, 10:51 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
Thanks a lot,

I do think our holiday decision is probably a good one and hopefully it may help us a little in the long run.

Good luck Wafc - not that it counts for much but I think you are doing the smart thing!
Old May 9th 2007, 10:55 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot,

good luck
have a great holiday
whereabouts in Uk you going?
Old May 10th 2007, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
good luck
have a great holiday
whereabouts in Uk you going?
We're off back to the north west of england, around the Wigan area to see all of our friends and family and we're off to Cyprus for a week while we're there to attend a wedding.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

We moved to Gold Coast in June 2005 - I struggled to get work and got really down - missed old friends - even though we had made new ones - missed family, the familiarity of working every day and having a decent income - came back to the UK in Feb 2006. The first few months were fine - but now Ihave realised why we left in the first place. It was great to see family and everyone but life moves on. My parents have their own lives, both play golf, the attitude of people here is negative - no pride in being British. Chavs, vile behavior, language and teens from hell. I can honestly say that while we were on the Golf Coat I never once experienced anything like it. We took our two sons - one who is 4 - to the cinema on Sunday and the language and behavior of the local teens was horrendous. I dread what it will be like in 10 years. I made a huge mistake, and I was warned - but I was so down I couldnt see a way out. We are going back to Oz, I am looking forward to seeing people again, taking my kids to the park without the fear of needles in the bushed and play areas and teenagers smoking and being intimidating. Strolling on the beach and having a nice meal out (without paying through the nose for it!!!) England is a beautiful country - I will always love the Dales and the 'proper'' country pubs, but will go back to Oz with a far more positive attitude and make it work - for my families sake.

Another family we met came back in March 07 and already know they have made a mistake - its sad but true. I think it is easy to look back with rose coloured glasses and think we had a perfect life in England - if that was the case why did we leave in the first place.

Good luck everyone
Old May 10th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johull
We moved to Gold Coast in June 2005 - I struggled to get work and got really down - missed old friends - even though we had made new ones - missed family, the familiarity of working every day and having a decent income - came back to the UK in Feb 2006. The first few months were fine - but now Ihave realised why we left in the first place. It was great to see family and everyone but life moves on. My parents have their own lives, both play golf, the attitude of people here is negative - no pride in being British. Chavs, vile behavior, language and teens from hell. I can honestly say that while we were on the Golf Coat I never once experienced anything like it. We took our two sons - one who is 4 - to the cinema on Sunday and the language and behavior of the local teens was horrendous. I dread what it will be like in 10 years. I made a huge mistake, and I was warned - but I was so down I couldnt see a way out. We are going back to Oz, I am looking forward to seeing people again, taking my kids to the park without the fear of needles in the bushed and play areas and teenagers smoking and being intimidating. Strolling on the beach and having a nice meal out (without paying through the nose for it!!!) England is a beautiful country - I will always love the Dales and the 'proper'' country pubs, but will go back to Oz with a far more positive attitude and make it work - for my families sake.

Another family we met came back in March 07 and already know they have made a mistake - its sad but true. I think it is easy to look back with rose coloured glasses and think we had a perfect life in England - if that was the case why did we leave in the first place.

Good luck everyone
where are you living in UK.

Welcome to the world of the ping pong pom!
Hope you really make a go of it and its a great success being back.
Good luck
Old May 10th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats exactly why we are now just going back for a hol instead as I'd hate to regret shipping all of our stuff back etc. We'll come back to Oz and hopefully stick it out for citizenship and then see how we feel, if we want to go back to the UK at that stage then thats what we'll do but at least we'll then have a passport back if needed.

I must say though that all of those same problems are still here in Oz (although maybe on a lesser scale), and I know friends and family move on etc but there's still a lot to be said for having them on your doorstep. I think we all tend to only remember the good parts of either country until we are living there.

Last edited by wafc; May 10th 2007 at 10:26 am.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats exactly why we are now just going back for a hol instead as I'd hate to regret shipping all of our stuff back etc. We'll come back to Oz and hopefully stick it out for citizenship and then see how we feel, if we want to go back to the UK at that stage then thats what we'll do but at least we'll then have a passport back if needed.

I must say though that all of those same problems are still here in Oz, and I know friends and family move on etc but there's still a lot to be said for having them on your doorstep. I think we all tend to only remember the good parts of either country until we are living there.
Very good plan methinks.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Hi

I live in Yorkshire, in a small village about 10 miles from Skipton and 9 miles from Bradford. Skiptin is nice but Bradford is the pits.

I lived in Robina on Gold Coast and remember meeting some people who had been home twice!!!!

My friend, who lives in Tallia, nearly went home to Scotland but stuck it out. She is glad she did now as when she came back for a visit she was shocked by the way her hometown had changed, and not for the better. Alot of the ladies who worked in local hotels have lost their jobs as they cant do as many shifts or work as cheap as the new arrivals. It is sad.

I just wish I had been stronger and listened to advice I was given. I love my house in UK, I like my village, its just when you get outside that it goes downhill. The other lady I met who came back went to Whitley Bay - she is really down as she realises she has made a massive mistake. She has lost so much money. She said she took her two youngest on the train and was shocked and appalled at the language and way the teens behaved. She never once experienced that in Oz and she was there for a year and a half.

I think the scary thing is you are so far away, its a long way and expensive if you feel like nipping back for a while, but looking back its a small price to pay.

Have you felt the same?
Old May 10th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi Wendy

When you say miss your son - how old is he and did he just decide to stay in UK - or did he come out and not like it and return? My oldest son wants to stay in UK now, but we want to go back. That is a worry, I know its his life and he can stay here with his father (ex husband) but I have two other sons to think about and honestly believe they can have a better life in Oz - I cant sleep at night for thinking about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.