Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Old May 8th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Well TraceyW, a wise choice i think.... I did a post earlier in this thread that was taken badly, but i was only trying to get across not to rush back when you have spent so long trying to get there... I think its a good decision to try different parts of Oz before returning , just to see if you do settle... Like you i will miss the green country so need to be wise when we move..

glad you decided to stay for a while longer Stu, think you owe it to yourselfs to wait until you get over the mixed emotions thing.... To be honest, it just sounded like you hadnt found the right place.. i know i will miss family and friends but i owe it to family to do what's right in our minds... We'll see what happens..

As i said prev, good luck with what you decide and enjoy your 'hols'.

S-j and Si.
Old May 8th 2007, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lissylee
Hi Tracey
My husband was born in bromsgrove, Charford,he took me there for a visit 18 months ago and showed me the church he was baptised in. He grew up in Ch.erry Orchard. His family now live in Alfrick..
Over east we are mainly looking around the eagle heights area and Tamborine. At this stage he will then go back in hopefully Dec and buy a property so we can move directly over there. He renovates houses for a living over here in Perth.
Are you in Perth now?

Good grief...small world! We used to live up from Charford at Stoke Heath. How old is he? I wonder if I know him?

Eagle Heights does look a nice area to live and Tamorine is supposed to be gorgeous.

Yes, we're in Perth at the moment, plodding through, day by day!
Old May 8th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone,

Tracey I know exactly how you feel when you say that you change your mind on a daily basis! We've been doing that for the last month or so and its been very stressful and has drove us insane!! I think we're definitely making the right decision by just going back for a hol and hopefully getting to the 2 year mark in Oz and then seeing how we feel.

I will always love and miss England and friends and family and its just whether we can learn to cope without all that or not, but we're going to give it a try for a while, we owe it to ourselves after what it took to get here etc!

Good luck to everyone else with their decisions and moves to Oz, even with all the stress we've had, I'm glad that we've experienced it all as it certainly helps you to have a different outlook on life and to try new things!

All the best.

Stu
Old May 8th 2007, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wafc
Thanks everyone,

Tracey I know exactly how you feel when you say that you change your mind on a daily basis! We've been doing that for the last month or so and its been very stressful and has drove us insane!! I think we're definitely making the right decision by just going back for a hol and hopefully getting to the 2 year mark in Oz and then seeing how we feel.

I will always love and miss England and friends and family and its just whether we can learn to cope without all that or not, but we're going to give it a try for a while, we owe it to ourselves after what it took to get here etc!

Good luck to everyone else with their decisions and moves to Oz, even with all the stress we've had, I'm glad that we've experienced it all as it certainly helps you to have a different outlook on life and try things new!

All the best.

Stu
Try changing your mind for the last three years!!!!! Now that's stressful!!

Good on you for making a 'sort of' decision. I hope your trip back helps you to see things clearly.
Old May 8th 2007, 2:27 pm
KAO
Forum Regular

KAO will become famous soon enough

Even if we do go home after the 6 months, I will still be able to say that we gave it our best shot, you dont need to do 2 years for that! The only reason anybody mentions 2 years is because thats when you can keep hold of your permanent residency or apply for citizenship, it doesn't take 2 years to know where you want to be.
I haven't got a t-shirt so I can't speak from experience, but my advice would definitely be to keep your options open.

Speaking from the other side of the coin I'd love to go to Oz but am not in a position to do so right now. It'll take a lot of hard work and probably lots of ups and downs until I am in a position to go but it's what I personally have to do to achieve what I perceive to be a happier life. It may not be but until I try it I won't know

I guess part of what I'm saying is that Oz might not be right for you just now, but it could be later on in life, be that this year, 10 years or even 20! You might regret passing up the opportunity once you no longer have it.

Only you know for certain but if you're in two minds about staying or going then there's a good chance that Oz will work for you when it's the 'right' time in your life for it.

All the best

K
Old May 9th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

down under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nice

Thanks everyone,

Good luck to everyone else with their decisions and moves to Oz, even with all the stress we've had, I'm glad that we've experienced it all as it certainly helps you to have a different outlook on life and to try new things!

All the best.

Stu
dont want to preach,but maybe while youre here,go to bris,were leaving perth in aug/sept,housing is cheaper and we know some ppl out there,my post code is 6025/beldon,craigie padbury
Old May 9th 2007, 8:51 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

I started reading the post and thought why not give it a go its olny two years till you get citizenship that would be a shame not to get after all the money spent and for your kids sake they will be dual citizens.......then I thought well if its friends and family I guess you cant help your emotions.I thought i wish you well with what ever you decide to do, its only in your heart you know whats best.

I dont think i could leaveif I had lots of family and good close friends.but havent got really any family,Just my dad, but got my life also and want a better life for my kids............. got lots of friends but none so close enough to miss.so I feel I can go to oz.... I know I dont have those ties to make me want to move back.I am an emotional wreck as it is, so I must make sure the move is for me

I wanted to post to say why dont you to go back to the uk for a break as i was reading but then came across you changed your mind and want a trip back to uk..GREAT.,as most people realise things dont stop IN THE UK when your in oz people still live their lives, and going back may make you realise why you left.!!!.........now I see you are doing that, taking a trip to the uk, best thing

I havent yet moved to oz, been on holiday this year there, but i cant comment on how i would feel once there, all i know is how ever unhappy i was We would def stay for our citizenship, for our kids furture, if we decided to move back to the uk, our kids could always return to oz and so could we if wanted.

2 years is not too long i know when you feel unhappy it can seem forever,I 8 years ago suffered terrible postnatal depression I felt it was for ever when i went thorough it, but i look back it was 1 year of my life, but now it seems like 5 minutes of my life.......

....this will be the same of your wait for citizenship, then you can say lets go home or i love it here lets stay.
I think so many people say its better to emmigrate to oz than to sit down in years to come and say we wish we moved to oz all them years ago..............well youve done it worn the t shirt............

.......it would also be a shame not to give it a go and wait the two years, it would be a shame you to be sat back in the uk and saying......................wish we waited two years for citizenship, once you got it ...............come and go as you please, but miss the citizenship ............and you may regret it too.

I take my hat off to you you have made the best decision, and if when you go back to the uk for a trip you really want the uk, then so be it, it is not the uk though it is family and friends, i bet you would want your friends and family there with you..in perth .............I think oz its best for your kids to get a good life upbringing..............personally I cant wait to get my visa and get out of the uk, but thats me and how i feel........................

Best of luck with your visit to uk and good luck with what ever you decide to do.................Gracie.
Old May 9th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

down under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nice

perth isnt for us,we need a place thats busy,7 day shopping,late night shopping all the time,lots of things for kids to do,sorry if im bashing perth but thats my opinion,perth doesnt like changing
Old May 9th 2007, 9:14 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by down under
perth isnt for us,we need a place thats busy,7 day shopping,late night shopping all the time,lots of things for kids to do,sorry if im bashing perth but thats my opinion,perth doesnt like changing
after reading all the posts on here it seems to me all the different areas in oz have lots of different things to offer different people.
maybe moving from perth to somewhere else maybe the solution your looking for stu.
is there any particular reason that you chose perth and ahve you thought of moving ie to brisbane or somewhere else in oz you migh feel completely different then.
glad to read you changed your mind and are only going back to the uk for a holiday.
we have our visas and have been trying to find a way around our friend whos a hairdresser try to get hers unfortunately shes 43 and running out of time so its looking very unlikely. thinking about the fact we have our visas makes me realise how lucky we are and we havent even got there yet.
i know she would gladly swap with anyone who has the golden ticket, and we are dreading the day we leave her behind but like most others on here you have to give it a go, you only have one life far better to try and live each day to its fullest knowing you give it a shot. hopefully you will have your hols in uk and come back to oz remembering why you left uk in first place anyway all the best for whatever you finally decide.
lesley
Old May 9th 2007, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

dont want to preach,but maybe while youre here,go to bris,were leaving perth in aug/sept,
perth doesnt like changing
And you think Brisbane does??
Old May 9th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And you think Brisbane does??
i said in my opinion perth isnt for me,i have a sister in bris who tells me all the time how cheap groceries are compared to perth,more for kids to do,theres only a handful of places for kids to go to,i coulnt believe ppl were saying curtains would burn with daylight savings,cant go to bed,i can go on,FOR ME PERTH ISNT THE PLACE,for others it is
Old May 9th 2007, 10:18 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

I know polyanna you dont like brisbane but .............brisbane has alot of different things like a lovley city lots of parks for kids seaworld park water parks zoos gold coast beaches if you want quiet you have sunshine coast , rainforests , tambourine mountain is quaint has lovley little trinket shops.there is so much to do in brisbane compaired to perth things are more diverse you have fraser island whitsunday you are nearer to sydney and cairns .............It seems to me people love perth but some get bored and brisbane areas thereis cheaper houses places like coomera are far cheaper than perth house prices...............I am drawn to perth for the quietness and lovley med weather and outdoor life and beautiful beaches but house prices are swaying me to brisbane.As well if you want quiet you can have quiet if you want action its there also.
Old May 9th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I dont think a change of locations within Australia will help as its friends, family and our old social lives in the UK which we miss, so that wont change no matter where we are in Australia.

We are going back to the UK for a hol and we will then hopefully stay in Oz for citizenship but after that I really dont know whether we will stay here on a permanent basis or not, by that stage we may have come to live with missing friends and family and the UK and we may be more settled, but until you have come out here and experienced this for yourself you can never know how hard it is. I'm sure some people find it easy to settle but we're finding it difficult at the present time, we're just taking it day by day from now on.
Old May 9th 2007, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
I know polyanna you dont like brisbane but .............brisbane has alot of different things like a lovley city lots of parks for kids seaworld park water parks zoos gold coast beaches if you want quiet you have sunshine coast , rainforests , tambourine mountain is quaint has lovley little trinket shops.there is so much to do in brisbane compaired to perth things are more diverse you have fraser island whitsunday you are nearer to sydney and cairns .............It seems to me people love perth but some get bored and brisbane areas thereis cheaper houses places like coomera are far cheaper than perth house prices...............I am drawn to perth for the quietness and lovley med weather and outdoor life and beautiful beaches but house prices are swaying me to brisbane.As well if you want quiet you can have quiet if you want action its there also.
THANK YOU,thats exactly what i was trying to get across,i have a baby crying so i cant type to long
Old May 9th 2007, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing is never simple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.