Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Old May 14th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 months in Perth, going home after 6 months!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Me too.
Hi Dorothy, Good luck with your move love. Hope your flight over goes smoothly and you settle in quickly. Take care.

S-j x
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

mumoftwins is a jewel in the roughmumoftwins is a jewel in the roughmumoftwins is a jewel in the roughmumoftwins is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone

Has anyone been in the situation where grandparents go back when they are leaving family over here? My mum and her hubby came over in december and he absolutely cannot settle and does not seem to want to try and now that they have got to know their young grandchildren, the house is going up for sale and they will be off. Its the british lifestyle which seems to be a lure. My mum definitley would ove to stay but what can she do? Its so damn hard on all of us.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Poor you. Where abouts are you? It will be so hard for you, especialy your children. I would suggest you tell your mothers husband to come back for a month or so - if thats at all possible, and see if he can remember why he left in the first place. I wish I had done that. I was fine back in UK for 3 months, then all the old gripes were back. We live in Yorkshire which has its fair share of problems - Bradford is a dump and is spreading further afield.

My parents came out to see us, and that was hard for me. It made me want to come home. I couldnt find work - when I had a good job in UK. I felt so down about myself it was untrue. Now I am ready to give it another go though.

Are the rest of you really settled in and happy?
Old May 24th 2007, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johull
Poor you. Where abouts are you? It will be so hard for you, especialy your children. I would suggest you tell your mothers husband to come back for a month or so - if thats at all possible, and see if he can remember why he left in the first place. I wish I had done that. I was fine back in UK for 3 months, then all the old gripes were back. We live in Yorkshire which has its fair share of problems - Bradford is a dump and is spreading further afield.

My parents came out to see us, and that was hard for me. It made me want to come home. I couldnt find work - when I had a good job in UK. I felt so down about myself it was untrue. Now I am ready to give it another go though.

Are the rest of you really settled in and happy?
Are you ponging back to Aus.
Old May 24th 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Yes, we bought a house here in Yorkshire, renovated and will be putting it on market at the end of the summer. Going back to Gold Coast.

A friend there tells me that the drought is a huge worry though, are you finding it scary?
Old May 24th 2007, 8:11 am
Just Joined

jobrabin is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry to hear you are going home after such a short time !! I realise it must be very hard when you cannot afford to buy a house. My partner and i have been very lucky, weve been here 9mths and have just bought a house in Bunbury. Perth is very expensive ! I do agree with one of the replies and think you should check out Adelaide first, you could rent and get jobs and just see how it goes. I miss lots about home,and always will but 4 months is nothing !!!!!!!!! i really feel you'll be letting yourselves down if you go home, you need to give it more time. Sounds like youve already made your minds up though, so good luck, but remember house prices have gone up in the UK to.
Old May 24th 2007, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johull
Yes, we bought a house here in Yorkshire, renovated and will be putting it on market at the end of the summer. Going back to Gold Coast.

A friend there tells me that the drought is a huge worry though, are you finding it scary?
Best of luck.
How long were you our here for initially?
Where I am it rains ALOT and have tank water so on a personal level the drought hasnt affected me, cant use it quick enough. I went to Tweed today though and the hills are looking somewhat parched. Although for the future its a huge concern.
I'm a pinger who went back, came back here and am now thinking of going back again. Not definate as I swing like a pendulum but am definately leaning to UK.
Do you know the gold Coats well then?
Any particular area you're heading to?
Old May 24th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jobrabin
I'm sorry to hear you are going home after such a short time !! I realise it must be very hard when you cannot afford to buy a house. My partner and i have been very lucky, weve been here 9mths and have just bought a house in Bunbury. Perth is very expensive ! I do agree with one of the replies and think you should check out Adelaide first, you could rent and get jobs and just see how it goes. I miss lots about home,and always will but 4 months is nothing !!!!!!!!! i really feel you'll be letting yourselves down if you go home, you need to give it more time. Sounds like youve already made your minds up though, so good luck, but remember house prices have gone up in the UK to.
As I mentioned on one of my other posts in this thread (which you must've missed), we are now going back to the UK for a holiday in a few weeks and then we will come back and see how we feel. We may stay for citizenship or we may just pack up and go home.

As for what you say about 4 months (now over 5 months) being nothing and that we would be letting ourselves down by returning, thats total crap IMO, if someone is unhappy or wants to return home then 4 months is plenty time and why would we be letting ourselves down if we know the place isn't for us??? Please dont try and tell me that it takes 2 years to settle etc!

Last edited by wafc; May 24th 2007 at 8:45 am.
Old May 24th 2007, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Sorry if you think i dont know what i'm talking about but i still say 5 months is no time at all to make a life changing / expensive decision. Glad youre going back for a holiday and hope you are happy whatever decision you come to. I am speaking about myself maybe when i said you'd be letting yourselves down by running home after such a short time. I know that no matter how homesick we may feel over the coming months we have to give it time !! it takes time to settle and meet and make new friends and for us ! 5 months just wouldnt be enough to make the decision to go home. Good luck and have a great trip x
Old May 24th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry if you think i dont know what i'm talking about but i still say 5 months is no time at all to make a life changing / expensive decision. Glad youre going back for a holiday and hope you are happy whatever decision you come to. I am speaking about myself maybe when i said you'd be letting yourselves down by running home after such a short time. I know that no matter how homesick we may feel over the coming months we have to give it time !! it takes time to settle and meet and make new friends and for us ! 5 months just wouldnt be enough to make the decision to go home. Good luck and have a great trip x
It can be enough for some people. I would've thought the same as you before coming here. Yes it takes time to make friends, settle in etc but....
Some people just know from the outset. You're hardly likey to think 'I'll move to Oz', then go, 'Oh no, I want to go back' after 4 months unless you just know its not for you.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, if the 5 month thing relates to yourself then thats fine, its just that when other people say that you are not giving it long enough etc it really gets on my nerves. I used to think that way myself until we moved out here and now if someone was to go home after just 1 week I would'nt say that they've not given it long enough as I now know that if a place is not right for you some people can know that instantly, some people it takes longer.

Hopefully our hol will help us to decide and then whether it be 6 months or 6 years, we will have given it enough time for us to decide whether we want to be here or not.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
It can be enough for some people. I would've thought the same as you before coming here. Yes it takes time to make friends, settle in etc but....
Some people just know from the outset. You're hardly likey to think 'I'll move to Oz', then go, 'Oh no, I want to go back' after 4 months unless you just know its not for you.
fair comment. hope all works out well for you, at least you've given it a go. Safe trip xx
Old May 24th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Yes you're right there, that was my point.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wafc
Yes you're right there, that was my point.
WAFC

Just saw your christ knows.....like it

Hope alls clear as a crystal after your trip back.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:10 am
Just Joined

fair comment. hope all works out well for you, at least you've given it a go. Safe trip xx
by the way, are you from Wigan ? i'm originally from Bolton, but we were living in Chipping near Preston. You'll be missing the pies HEE hee, dont be offended bt that please ! the pies here arent as good xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.