4 Months in (Nearly!)

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 Months in (Nearly!)

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi Lynne

I'm very sorry it didn't work out for you but this sort of things happen.. I trust you may wish to consider keeping your options wide open by visiting Oz when possible, hence intact your chances of gaining citizenship someday.

Karen
Never say never is what I reckon. But yes, I do agree with you there. Even if we just come back for holidays so I can get my fix.

Originally Posted by binky
Have you thought about joining aclub of some sort?...in Mandurah for instance as you're not far away. It is always a good way of meeting people. I've joined a few clubs and it's a good way of intergrating and making friends.
Clubs won't make him change his mind now, its set. We do have friends here but homesickness is a different kettle of fish as they say. Not that I can comment on it really as I haven't suffered but it seems to be a horrible thing.

Originally Posted by Bishop3912
Hi Lynne, just read this post, sorry its not worked out for you, you never know OH may change his mind. Me and my OH have made the same pact that you made with your OH, if one is unhappy then all return no quibbles. Can't blame you for standing by him, your family unit is alot more important than living in a "sunny" climate! Good luck with the future.
We are a team and have been since the day we met. It was a joint decision to come here and another one to leave. (Hard on my part) but it had to be done.

Thanks again everyone
Lynne

He, he, he just figured out this multi quote thing. quite impressed with myself now
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 1:29 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick69
Never say never is what I reckon. But yes, I do agree with you there. Even if we just come back for holidays so I can get my fix.

Clubs won't make him change his mind now, its set. We do have friends here but homesickness is a different kettle of fish as they say. Not that I can comment on it really as I haven't suffered but it seems to be a horrible thing.

We are a team and have been since the day we met. It was a joint decision to come here and another one to leave. (Hard on my part) but it had to be done.

Thanks again everyone
Lynne

He, he, he just figured out this multi quote thing. quite impressed with myself now

Show off
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Took bloody long enought to figure it out
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 8:11 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ange. I would like to think he would be as supportive of me if the shoe was on the other foot. I think he would be but to be honest it doesn't make any difference now.
The time and effort to get here was stressful and no doubt will be going the other way but hey thats life. These things are sent to try us.
At least we came here and got the T shirt so to speak
Please keep in touch as it would be good to see how things are going with you as well.

Lynne x
Yes Lynne, will def keep in touch.

Good luck with the move back
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:47 am
Just Joined

stevep1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have also been here (Perth) for 3 or 4 months now. We came here having done our research - we thought, and knew how we would all feel about familiy and friends. In order to embrace life here- bought a small business; kid at school; wife a nurse. Just bought a house and missed out on the stamp duty reform. $19000 - ahhhhhh. Big mortgage too.

I have had numerous interviews for sales type jobs but 2 main problems. One is not being indigenous to WA - the old 'hit the ground running' routine. Second problem is how agencies don't get back to you. Message here is have faith, keep trying. Something will turn up.Salaries about 30% less than UK.

In my current job (I mow lawns. Crap money but keeps you fit) - I meet loads of people, mainly Brits and South Africans. I play 'spot the Oz, cos the north western suburbs (Connolly, Currambine, Ocean Reef, etc, etc) are a little like Little Britain. Anyway, I speak to loads of people. Common thread here is about how much money they've made on their houses. I know the original and current price of everyone of my customers. Prices have pretty much doubled in 2 years. In Perth you don't buy a home, you buy an investment.

Anyway, are these people happy? Many have been here for years and years.Sure, they are equity rich but generally cash poor and the cost of living here is bloody expensive (a pint of Stella more expensive than London). Simple answer is most are not. Take away the climate and you're left looking a large sand dune. But hell - the weather is good isn't it! Biggest loss to them is: the pub; the lack of a social entity in the huge sprawling housing conerbations; football; AND - friends and family.

So you have to conclude you knew that when you came here but it's still hard. My wife is working long hours in the hospital and hasn't had any opportunity to witness what life there is here. It's hard to find life after 6:00 at night (restaurants close up around you at 9:00). She had our tickets booked (metaphorically speaking) to go back to the UK last week but having bought the house, it gave us a stay of execution.

Reflective consideration now is to 'give it a year' and make sure we make absolutly sure we explore all opportunities to make it work. My abiding thought is that we go back to the UK and wake up on a shitty November morning in Salford and think 'what have we done...?'.

So there you have it. We too could have lasted just 4 months but we're still here in time for winter and hopefully, summer too. By the way - you'd be surprised how many people are leaving. I have a customer going back to Czech (misses cheap flights, Greece, late nights, people) and one to Tasmania (summer's too hot!).

Good luck to all who live life on the edge of stay/go. Not a nice place to be.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:22 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Well decision is made i's definate were going back mid August.

Lynne
Well i am shocked !!!

I have followed your process through from when you first got your visa's and reading how excited you were to start you new life.

IMO ...i think you need to give it longer...BUT !!!! i am not in your shoes ( or micks ) soi cannot judge.

I hope you both find happiness wherever you lay your hat

Good luck

D x

Last edited by Issie; Jun 5th 2007 at 8:28 am.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Issie
Well i would be lying to say i wasn't shocked

I have followed your process through from when you first got your visa's and reading how excited you were to start you new life.

IMO ...i think you need to give it longer...BUT !!!! i am not in your shoes ( or micks ) soi cannot judge.

I hope you both find happiness wherever you lay your hat

Good luck

D x
Can't believe you weren't shocked as I was totally blown away!!!
Still absolutely gutted to be leaving but as I have said previously we came together and we will leave together. So long as we are ALL happy.

I would also love him to give it longer...BUT homesickness or whatever he is feeling won't keep him where he doesn't want to be.

Lynne x
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:32 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe you weren't shocked as I was totally blown away!!!
Still absolutely gutted to be leaving but as I have said previously we came together and we will leave together. So long as we are ALL happy.

I would also love him to give it longer...BUT homesickness or whatever he is feeling won't keep him where he doesn't want to be.

Lynne x
Sorry lynn i meant to say i WAS shocked

Someone once said to me the first three months feel like a holiday and then WHAM it hits, the reality of what you have done.....the homesickness hits and the yearning for things back at home.

I am sure if he can hang on a bit longer things may improve. What you don't want is to get home and relaise what you have done and then want to go back again. At least if you have given it a bit longer you can say you really did give it a good go.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Issie
Sorry lynn i meant to say i WAS shocked

Someone once said to me the first three months feel like a holiday and then WHAM it hits, the reality of what you have done.....the homesickness hits and the yearning for things back at home.

I am sure if he can hang on a bit longer things may improve. What you don't want is to get home and relaise what you have done and then want to go back again. At least if you have given it a bit longer you can say you really did give it a good go.

I know exactly where your coming from. We are not leaving until August/September so we still have to be here for another 3 months. I have said to him that he may change his mind but I still get the same answer. I would be well chuffed if he did but won't build my hopes up.

Lynne
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Hi lynne sorry things havent gone the way you hoped we live in durham. Where abouts did you live we are hoping to head to cairns ive been offered a job on the childrens ward, Im worrying about selling the house etc we have two children 12 and 15 my brother in law lives there so we are a bit luckier the house prices have risen there too i dont want a big mortgage either. I hope everything works out for you on your return.do you think its too quiet in perth maybe queensland would have been better financially for you at least you still have your home but maybe thats a big pull for your husband knowing home is still there anyway best of luck to you pm me if you fancy a chat Trudi
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Well thought I would update my update

Sadly, there is no change. We are going back to the UK. Flights booked (31st August) shippers booked (24th August) Broadband cancelled (23rd August!!!)
Nothing much else to say really apart from a big thank you to all I have met and spoken to since arriving in Oz.
It has been a pleasure knowing you all and just wish it could have lasted longer. I will miss my best mate (little bear) so much even though we have only known each other a short time (feels like forever) she has been a rock. Listening to me moan on about this and that. Thanks hun your a star.

You never know, one day I might get to come back home!!

Thanks again everyone and will keep chatting from the UK

Lynne
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, there is no change. We are going back to the UK. Flights booked (31st August) shippers booked (24th August) Broadband cancelled (23rd August!!!)
Nothing much else to say really apart from a big thank you to all I have met and spoken to since arriving in Oz.
It has been a pleasure knowing you all and just wish it could have lasted longer. I will miss my best mate (little bear) so much even though we have only known each other a short time (feels like forever) she has been a rock. Listening to me moan on about this and that. Thanks hun your a star.

Lynne
All the best Lynne. I really hope your OH appreciates all you are giving up for him and I hope that one day he will return the favour and let you have another go at it

Take care honey
Wendy x
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:16 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Lynne
Hi Lynne
Hope the trip back goes smoothly.
Dont forget to give us a shout when you get back

hugs
Adele
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:25 am

Lynne

I shed a tear for this post as i know you really do not want to leave Australia........I wish you every success and happiness for the future and hopefully one day you will find your self back under
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:26 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

It`s a shame you are going mate - It was really nice meeting you today, but you have to do whats best for your family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.