Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

Originally Posted by Syedney
Was actually a place where I worked for a while too...

Absolutely gorgeous landscape all round and not forget the guy fawkes fireworks too

Unfortunately, bad floodeline...

But surrounding Sussex countryside is absolutely to die for...
Another one! Worked in Lewes for several years, I used to commute from Brighton, and I was so glad I commuted every day when it was hit by the 2000 floods. Loved the fireworks, had loads of friends there and I still go back each year for visits and a few samples from local hostelries.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Another one! Worked in Lewes for several years, I used to commute from Brighton, and I was so glad I commuted every day when it was hit by the 2000 floods. Loved the fireworks, had loads of friends there and I still go back each year for visits and a few samples from local hostelries.
Ex Sun Street myself - watching the barrow boys on bonfire night was just amazing. The planning and organisation that goes into that night is beyond belief. My favourite part of the country especially the cider farm at Firle gives me a headache just thinking about it !
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reading fan
Ex Sun Street myself - watching the barrow boys on bonfire night was just amazing. The planning and organisation that goes into that night is beyond belief. My favourite part of the country especially the cider farm at Firle gives me a headache just thinking about it !
Ah.....Middle Farm, a fave haunt for cheese and cider. When I go home we visit it in the first couple of days then I can pig out for the rest of the holiday!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

jacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to all

Part of me after 12 years of living in OZ wants to throw in the towell and go back to my town I came from where I'm still intouch with all my friends and family close by and thinking of sending my son to the school I went to. There is a great community spirit and its what I know. I had a good school experience until I left at 16 and was bored with the area. But to raise kids there was great !

I just feel a bit of a looser after 12 years in Oz going back to where I came from but sometimes it just seems so much easier just to go with what you know!.. The village is Ickenham in Middlesex..

I never in a million years thought I would feel this way and want to go back let alone sending my son to the same school I went to as feel like I've gone round in a big circle.

I lived in the US before OZ and still feel like I want to go back to my village.

I just always get nostagic for the place I came from as my roots are so strong and I keep looking at other places in England to settle but just seems really hard when everyone is in the one place ' Ickenham'
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Michwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really niceMichwif is just really nice

Originally Posted by jacqui cameron
'I just feel a bit of a looser after 12 years in Oz going back to where I came from but sometimes it just seems so much easier just to go with what you know!.. The village is Ickenham in Middlesex..'
I think you are being too hard on yourself. It is not as if you haven't it a good try. You're only punishing yourself if you don't just to where you feel at home. Many don't have the option so take it. You came...you saw...you got the t-shirt...now go where you need to be. Who knows in 10yrs you might decide Canada is worth a try. This is the good thing about the world.....there are so many choices and all yours to take.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

jacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to all

Thanks and yes your right .. alot of people wouldnt even dare get on a plane to OZ let alone do 12 years in OZ and 3 in US.
Husband has successful business and I've had a child here so not as if we didnt achieve anything
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:20 am
Just Joined

monkey hanger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Syedney
We have now been living in Sydney for almost three months and here are my impressions:

In the beginning, when summer here just started everything looked really like the holiday brochure, sun , sea and sand!! We were rejoicing the heat and the blue sky, which we had hardly seen in UK...Ah! UK, as we left it, was grim, even raining on the day we left for Sydney from Heathrow...

Slowly, we sorted out Medicare, a flat to rent and settled down in Dee Why. We paid the $2,200 for our little girl's schooling and hoped we all slowly settle down to life here...

Yet, far from this, I still miss the blighty...My daughter has become really naughty and cites her reason for changing her behaviour the fact the she wants to go back to UK because she is unhappy here...Even though, recently she's been making lots of friends, who come to our flat regularly....

My OH wants to make a go of Sydney...Yet, my daughter and I want to go back...

Don't get me wrong...This is a beautiful country, with beautiful weather and we've met a lot of people here who are really nice...Yet, I never feel like it's home...or my home

I was told by so many Brits here that it takes six months to get over the home sickness...

I don't know if I can last that long!!

It's really tearing us apart...My daughter is so unhappy to stay here and my OH is so sad to leave...What one to do??

Going back will not be easy either...We still have our flat in Hove, Sussex...But I won't have a job and these days, UK is in recession so...

Between a rock and a hard place...Not nice to be in this
after living in Brisbane for 18 years, I am always homesick and visit reguarly with the hope of relocating permanently, each time I visit I am reminded of what a beautiful interesting place the U.K is and how extremly bland Australia is,of the cities and towns along the east coast there is very little differance to see in this mono culture, any main arterial will have a service station, two fast food outlets, a tyre fitter and a car yard, when you see it repeat you are in another suburb, in summing up there is everything I need, nothing of what I like
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

What about the ' pokies ' down at the local RSL's ??
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacqui cameron
Thanks and yes your right .. alot of people wouldnt even dare get on a plane to OZ let alone do 12 years in OZ and 3 in US.
Husband has successful business and I've had a child here so not as if we didnt achieve anything

Just to echo your feelings there, jacqui, a mate of mine with whom I had previously lost touch, just told me recently that he and his OH wanted years ago to emigrate to OZ and give it a try here but instead chose to stay at Southampton...

When I asked why? he said they didn't have the guts to do it and opted for the easy option...

So, in the end, Jacqui, it is better to have tried and not liked it rather than never have tried and live with the regret of what if...

Our best wishes for you...Just remember everyone here is rooting for you!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkey hanger
after living in Brisbane for 18 years, I am always homesick and visit reguarly with the hope of relocating permanently, each time I visit I am reminded of what a beautiful interesting place the U.K is and how extremly bland Australia is,of the cities and towns along the east coast there is very little differance to see in this mono culture, any main arterial will have a service station, two fast food outlets, a tyre fitter and a car yard, when you see it repeat you are in another suburb, in summing up there is everything I need, nothing of what I like

That's just sums up really how I see the small towns here...Well done
But you couldn' say the same about any of the villages dotted around Sussex coast, norfolk coast or any other part of UK..Each has it's own character and history...

Also, the notion of people here being laid back is a misleading one...I'd say most people here are fine, law abiding and polite lot...But those that are deemed "laid back" are actually rude, careless, have no manners and don't give a hoot about anything in life unless, it:
* involves watching AFL (Australian footy)
* involves drinking large amount of alcohol
* involves denigrating women and sullying every women's reputation
* involves eating huge amount of red meat

This is what is seen by outsiders as "laid back"...
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matrix_matrix
then sit in front of the telly..great life indeed!:curse:
At least it's decent telly.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ah.....Middle Farm, a fave haunt for cheese and cider. When I go home we visit it in the first couple of days then I can pig out for the rest of the holiday!!!
Middle Farm is great
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

and the ignorance of different cultures, religious background.. never come across so much rascism in my life apart from when I was about 7 at infants school
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

and thanks Sydeny and the rest of you for rooting for me
We'll see what happens. I just have to convince the other half
Old Apr 4th 2009, 9:41 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Alot of peeps in here giving Oz a right slagging, wrongly so in my view. You can't go stereotyping any race of people ozzie or not. No-one here is going to change because they upset outsiders sensibilities, so why moan about it, accept people for what they are. I do alot of my work in rural towns, and I have had some very good experiences with the locals, always willing to stop and have a chat and lend a hand when you're in the shit.

To be honest I reckon if any migrants have a problem with the way Ozzies live their lives, then it's their problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.