Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:50 am
Just Joined

benny02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3rd Month in and my honest opinion about Ozzie life

hi, have read your thread and glad you are feeling better. How are you liking living in Dee Why? We have moved to Dee Why a few weeks back and wondered if you have discovered any good places to go, ie with the kids as we have a 3 year old.

Dee
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benny02
hi, have read your thread and glad you are feeling better. How are you liking living in Dee Why? We have moved to Dee Why a few weeks back and wondered if you have discovered any good places to go, ie with the kids as we have a 3 year old.

Dee
Hi Benny

We do like Dee Why a lot. It's so geared towards families too!

I'd say without hesitation that the rock pool is the best place so far for my daughter (10). For parents, no doubt, the seafront is lovely and there are so many places there where you can go for dinner. All the places cater for kids too (Sorry maybe more a 10 year old things).

Frenchs Forest has a club there for kids to play...But we haven't managed to check it out yet...

I'd say in general the beach/pools/rocks is what we like...

Would be interested to hear what you guys found as places..
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

The language barrier STILL gets me - yesterday I told one of my 'boys' that I look after in the office that 'I hate it when people root around in my box' and then had to suffer the piss taking afterwards when I found out what that meant.

LOL only you

I agree with most people on here 3-4 months is the crappiest you will ever feel, i dont think its the right time to make a decision, dont get me wrong i wanted to go back at this time and i want to go back now and thats been 2 years, but i feel a helluva lot better in myself than i did at 3-4 months and am able to think a bit more rationally about the future, however if someone told me, thats it , you GOTTA stay in aus forever, then i would honestly jump off a bridge.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

jacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Syedney
We have now been living in Sydney for almost three months and here are my impressions:

In the beginning, when summer here just started everything looked really like the holiday brochure, sun , sea and sand!! We were rejoicing the heat and the blue sky, which we had hardly seen in UK...Ah! UK, as we left it, was grim, even raining on the day we left for Sydney from Heathrow...

Slowly, we sorted out Medicare, a flat to rent and settled down in Dee Why. We paid the $2,200 for our little girl's schooling and hoped we all slowly settle down to life here...

Yet, far from this, I still miss the blighty...My daughter has become really naughty and cites her reason for changing her behaviour the fact the she wants to go back to UK because she is unhappy here...Even though, recently she's been making lots of friends, who come to our flat regularly....

My OH wants to make a go of Sydney...Yet, my daughter and I want to go back...

Don't get me wrong...This is a beautiful country, with beautiful weather and we've met a lot of people here who are really nice...Yet, I never feel like it's home...or my home

I was told by so many Brits here that it takes six months to get over the home sickness...

I don't know if I can last that long!!

It's really tearing us apart...My daughter is so unhappy to stay here and my OH is so sad to leave...What one to do??

Going back will not be easy either...We still have our flat in Hove, Sussex...But I won't have a job and these days, UK is in recession so...

Between a rock and a hard place...Not nice to be in this

Dont get me started. I've been here for nearly 12 years and the homesickness does not go away. It changes at a 6 month period whereby you start to feel alittle bit more settled however if your heart isnt in it, it never will be.

I've had the feeling you have had for 11 years and I am trying to find positive things about Australia apart from the weather but I am struggling.
I am in Sydney and find the country bland and the people bland. I am a winging pomme and I'm proud to be one. Aussies can say whatever they want about the English and we dont get offended whatsoever but due to Aussies inferiority complex and insecurities with identity they are extremely sensitive if you put the country down in anyway , shape or form !

I had good times here but over it now. Looking foward to moving back to UK . At least I can enjoy the same sense of humour with like minded people, and so what it rains and its grey and misraeble but we have central heating and family is more important then weather at the end of the day. My 3 year old loved being with he's cousins and grandparents etc when we went for a holiday in the UK and to be honest Aussie summer too friggin hot !
My husband and I got citizenship here so at least we have the choice later on down the track to come back here .

So all your aussies out there.. Yes I am the winging pomme and I love it !!!!

Last edited by jacqui cameron; Mar 27th 2009 at 8:08 am.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomar
Hi, Moneypen has given you some very sound advice. I was an expat for years, and saw so many wives going through exactly what you describe. It really is early days, although it's very hard when you are feeling as you are at the moment, it is also quite normal. There is an almost normal honeymoon period of 3 months, when it's all very exciting, and then the reality of moving so far away sets in. Give yourself time, try to remember why you have emigrated, try to make some friends who understand how you feel. A support network can make all the difference, and try to go out and have some fun.
Hope you start to feel better soon.
absolutely agree, three months is the time it hit home for me that this was our life now, not a holiday. even though i've always been 100% that we made the right decision you still miss people and feel out of sorts.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

spsspence will become famous soon enoughspsspence will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jacqui cameron
Dont get me started. I've been here for nearly 12 years and the homesickness does not go away. It changes at a 6 month period whereby you start to feel alittle bit more settled however if your heart isnt in it, it never will be.

I've had the feeling you have had for 11 years and I am trying to find positive things about Australia apart from the weather but I am struggling.
I am in Sydney and find the country bland and the people bland. I am a winging pomme and I'm proud to be one. Aussies can say whatever they want about the English and we dont get offended whatsoever but due to Aussies inferiority complex and insecurities with identity they are extremely sensitive if you put the country down in anyway , shape or form !

I had good times here but over it now. Looking foward to moving back to UK . At least I can enjoy the same sense of humour with like minded people, and so what it rains and its grey and misraeble but we have central heating and family is more important then weather at the end of the day. My 3 year old loved being with he's cousins and grandparents etc when we went for a holiday in the UK and to be honest Aussie summer too friggin hot !
My husband and I got citizenship here so at least we have the choice later on down the track to come back here .

So all your aussies out there.. Yes I am the winging pomme and I love it !!!!

Lol, oh dear, are you ever in for a nasty shock
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

jacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to alljacqui cameron is a name known to all

hmmm yes I know... It will be a nasty shock but I just cant handle living this far away from people I love the most. I only planned to spend 1 year here and due to my husband's business its been nearly 12.

I feel extremely torn but know it will be for the best and we can come back here as all citizens now. My husband is not thrilled about going back but I want to raise our 3 year old close to family and he's grandparents, cousins etc ..

My roots in UK are very strong. My friendships there are from over 30years. I think this makes it much harder having very strong roots !
Old Mar 27th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

hi,totally agree with Jacqui and yes it might be a shock coming back but sounds like you ,Jacqui have support of friends and after having been in Perth for seven years,like i have been, you realise who your true friends are,and where you want to be in life.
i am soooooo happy to be back ,and actually in winter in Perth it could rain all day,well since i have been back its rained a few times but not that much.W e had people tell us ,when it was raining.............. you should better get used to this weather!!!!!!..........which seemed strange considering the weather was terrible in Perth in the winter.
They dont tell you that on .....Wanted D own Under!!!!!
Actually i think there should be a programme thats called .........Not Wanted Down Under.........and tell people a few home truths about what alot of Aussies really think of us.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

So true.. a programme on ' not wanted downunder' would be fab. I've just started a new job and I just know and sense that they dont like me coz I'm English.. Its just so obvious. The Aussie friends I do have are very well travelled so we have more in common. I just dont want my son being bought up here, have the accent and obsess about sport and have not much else to talk about. Winter in Sydney can be dreadful. Lots of rain and really cold winds. Whenever anyone from UK visit me the weather is awful and its a little embarrassing to say the least ! We have a flat in Spain so if winter in UK get really bad we will just take off there. So if a programme ' not wanted downunder' ever goes to air ..count me in !!!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:48 am
Just Joined

matrix_matrix will become famous soon enough

We grew up in Southeast Asia, came to the UK -worked and live for 6 years, and now moving to Australia. So, I have done more than at bit of window shopping for places to live.

It is very hard to adjust to a new place/country. To start with, UK has some positives too(..believe it or not). The idea of living in Europe with access to the bigger EU really sounds appealing. And the notion that EU is gonna be a big thing in the future, made me think twice of bolting out. Down to the local front however, I would miss going to Tesco, Asda, ..etc..where everything is there..really..from meat to jewellery. Lest we forget, the NHS..free to the point of use...I worked in the NHS and so it's more personal but I join in with the moaning and protesting whenever I got the chance too. I have had a lot life long friends in the UK but no family..so I guess I'm lucky not to miss it as much. To be fair, UK is very small and it's shrinking still...Rule Britannia! stops at Dover.

Now. to Australia...Sydney, NSW. A new beginning. The reset button.

In the UK your work is your day, not just part of your day. In NSW, you can still go out with family and do things, unlike in the UK where you're stuck inside the house with the remote and TV. It is like after work-rush down to the parking lot- rush to car-rush to door- then sit in front of the telly..great life indeed!:curse:

I have nothing against anybody, it's just that I have seen life from the outside and had lived the inside of these counries. I have worn a lot of shoes and not fits my size.

From experience it is always up to the individual. A good seed can still grow even in the hashest cindtions, but a bad seed even with tons of fertilisers will not even sprout..

I have seen all these first hand...adapt or be left behind..and for some(including me) surrender is not an option( the Japanese side of me saying..hehe). Integrating is a difficult process(try living in Japan and everyone thinks you're American), and it will take time..if you think you have an open mind about things..then you must also have an open heart. Australia isn't hard to love compared to the UK..(i know it's not fair to compare tan but hey it's the brither side of things)

Last edited by matrix_matrix; Mar 28th 2009 at 10:55 am.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matrix_matrix

In the UK your work is your day, not just part of your day. In NSW, you can still go out with family and do things, unlike in the UK where you're stuck inside the house with the remote and TV. It is like after work-rush down to the parking lot- rush to car-rush to door- then sit in front of the telly..great life indeed!:curse:

Sorry matrix_matrix but that wasn't true as far as we're concerned. we lived close to friends and had plenty to do during week-ends. We would always plan something for the week-end. even if ti's going to the countryside, have a lunch in some nice country pub (carvery...hmmm)... Maybe the weekdays were home-work-home, and i agree to this to some extent, but not week-ends.

Australia isn't hard to love compared to the UK
hmmm...Not sure I follow you. You've just mentioned some positives stuff about UK so is it really that hard to love it? UK provides so many benefits to people from all over the world...Think about this; it's easier for people from here to migrate to UK than the other way round. UK also is a stickler for being fair and everyone gets treated equally. In Australia, they make sure the locals are ok first, whether fairly or not. We had first hand experience of this recently. We were provoked in an altercation, in which we didn't start it and just the fact that we had a an 'English' accent, the police decided to turn their attention to us. Even though, we were the victims. Because the other side is ozzzie, police felt they should side them. Honestly. beggars belief i know. Bunch of bungling baboons, the cops here! Not a brain cell between the three that were talking to us.
i think we should tighten our borders and then we too can be so loving...

Jacqui, what you've said worries me...I don't want to spend so many years feeling that I don't belong...It doesn't matter how beautiful the place is, if you don't ever feel like you belong to it...

We do feel more settled now but honestly, two of the family members will leg it back to the blighty if we were given half a chance!!

Like you say Jacqui, if it rains more in UK so what? You get used to it....Right now, our friends in hove telling us how beuatiful (though cold0 it has been lately...They've been back to our local, sat in the beer garden reminiscing about us being there...

You know what bubbles, you stole my ideas

I was just thinking that...There are so many aspects of life here you don't hear in uk... Like the boys at my daughter's school are sooooooooo rude and they've been saying things that i have not heard any of the boys in my daughter's old school mention...typically, i can't rememeber them now...But there are some aspects of life that need to be aired on tv....life here isn't your typical laid back...

No sireee...it ain't what it used to be...

maybe i am whingeing a bit too...
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:44 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

We grew up in Southeast Asia, came to the UK -worked and live for 6 years, and now moving to Australia. So, I have done more than at bit of window shopping for places to live.

It is very hard to adjust to a new place/country. To start with, UK has some positives too(..believe it or not). The idea of living in Europe with access to the bigger EU really sounds appealing. And the notion that EU is gonna be a big thing in the future, made me think twice of bolting out. Down to the local front however, I would miss going to Tesco, Asda, ..etc..where everything is there..really..from meat to jewellery. Lest we forget, the NHS..free to the point of use...I worked in the NHS and so it's more personal but I join in with the moaning and protesting whenever I got the chance too. I have had a lot life long friends in the UK but no family..so I guess I'm lucky not to miss it as much. To be fair, UK is very small and it's shrinking still...Rule Britannia! stops at Dover.

I have nothing against anybody, it's just that I have seen life from the outside and had lived the inside of these counries. I have worn a lot of shoes and not fits my size.

From experience it is always up to the individual. A good seed can still grow even in the hashest cindtions, but a bad seed even with tons of fertilisers will not even sprout..

I have seen all these first hand...adapt or be left behind..and for some(including me) surrender is not an option( the Japanese side of me saying..hehe). Integrating is a difficult process(try living in Japan and everyone thinks you're American), and it will take time..if you think you have an open mind about things..then you must also have an open heart. Australia isn't hard to love compared to the UK..(i know it's not fair to compare tan but hey it's the brither side of things)
That must be your choice then, because it certainly wasn't ours when we lived in the UK, no matter what the weather.

I do get so sick of hearing people moan because they are stuck in front of the tv as though living in the UK makes them do that. What utter rot. We were hardly at home. We played squash, went swimming, took our boy football/cricket/rugby training. Watched his matches after school and the clubs he played for in all weathers, went for country walks all year round. Visited museums, castles etc.etc.

Australia isn't hard to love compared to the UK? Have you actually lived here? Tommy rot mate.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. The life that others describe in Australia and more importantly to me Perth do not reflect my experiences at all. One size does not fit all and I don't recognise the Australia other people experience just as they don't recognise the one I do. Horses for courses.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:53 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK your work is your day, not just part of your day. .... in the UK you're stuck inside the house with the remote and TV. It is like after work-rush down to the parking lot- rush to car-rush to door- then sit in front of the telly..great life indeed!
speak for yourself. That doesn't accurately describe what my life was like in the UK and if it does describe yours then that's your fault for not having the imagination to think of something else and not the fault of the UK.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Where abouts are you living ?
We are planning on moving back. All my friends and family love living in the UK. We are not sure where to settle. We have a 3 year old and one on the way. We want a place either Berkshire or Surrey. If anyone knows of any kid friendly community type towns/villages we are happy to hear about them.
I just want a nice house now with a garden to raise our children. with good education near family / close friends.
We travel alot and want our kids to be worldly ( which I find is extremely lacking especially for the Gen Y's in OZ and this frustrates me as they think OZ is the best place in the world :curse: ) There are other places outside of OZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.