Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 years on the Gold Coast, after arriving skint

3 years on the Gold Coast, after arriving skint

Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:05 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 years on the Gold Coast, after arriving skint

Originally Posted by poppie
Hi Marie,
Do you think you'd be in the same situation if you'd stayed in the UK?
I mean, if you'd put your minds to paying off debts etc.... Or do you think Oz offers more?
You've done fantastically well x
Oz definately offers us more. In the UK we lived in a school house as my husband was a school caretaker. We would still be there or if we'd moved on we would still be renting somewhere, where as here we own our own home. Things were tight back in England and although we would be paying the debt off I don 't believe it would be payed off yet.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Usana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Oz definately offers us more. In the UK we lived in a school house as my husband was a school caretaker. We would still be there or if we'd moved on we would still be renting somewhere, where as here we own our own home. Things were tight back in England and although we would be paying the debt off I don 't believe it would be payed off yet.
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. So important to hear about others' stories - helps to know that you're not alone. Hubby & I have also been on the GC for 3 years (Pacific Pines!) & yes there have been ups & downs....getting there though...have managed to build own home, but since the birth of our gorgeous first son (may 08)...all has become difficult again, now that i'm not working. I'm interested in your 'day care'...i'm madly searching for a place for my son a few days a week so i can return to teaching Jan 09 - are you able to help? Would it be better if we p/messaged so that we can share more information?

Cheers & thanks again for your positive & honest post! :-)
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Well I've been a bit quiet on the forum these last few months but I realised that yesterday we've actually been here 3 years...doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself.
As you may or may not know we came here with $2000 and debt in the UK. With the cash we bought an old banger of a car (which is still going) and not much else. Fortunately we had my husbands mum to stay with, which we did for the first 9 months of being here. Wasn't easy at all as we had back then a 4 year old who loved disrupting everything. Things were hard especially back then. I got a job fairly easily and Steve got one then had an accident at work so had to quit, which left not alot of money after paying board, food, childcare etc.. but atleast we were together in Oz with a roof over our head. As time went on Steve got a job in a hotel as a handyman, this was hard on us again due to the shift work involved and due to lack of childcare in the area something had to give so he quit that job and became a security guard, night work but none the less the hours were better.
So after 9 months of struggling and saving we put a deposit on our house, not alot though so we do have a large mortgage.
We've managed to pay off our English debt, we've got a new car now aswell as the old banger, and we have Ethan...our 10mth old baby. Things are going well for us now. I've just quit my job and started my own business as a family day carer from home so I can be around Ethan and also because I am aware of the shortage of child care here as we had problems finding it ourselves. Steve is still a security guard and is about to venture into busines on his own setting up a security company. Having worked in the industry going back 12 years or so and also being familiar with the way it works in Oz now, he has developed his own business plan putting forth and covering some weaknesses he's discovered, so fingers crossed that takes off too.
As for holidays, we've not had 1 night away from home as yet, not been out of QLD, we are finlly in a position to visit England and are about to book some flights for next year.
To anyone out there who thinks life is tough...it probably is, it was for us but after 3 years it has finally all come good.
marie
What a lovely post Marie I'm so pleased that things have worked out well for you and your family.
It just proves that you can emigrate with very little and still make it work, but most importantly still be happy. WELL DONE
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:59 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Excellent and inspiring post...the very best wishes to you in your new ventures.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 5:25 pm
Claireg

claireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud ofclaireg has much to be proud of

Hi Marie

Just read your post started off arrring you now i'm like wow We have had to take a large reduction on the house and OH's a bit worried about not taking as much as we once thought, but reading what you have put makes it all worth while.

Once the solicitor sorts things out we should be on are way in a couple of weeks. How do you like the area you live in?

Claire
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:35 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claireg
Hi Marie

Just read your post started off arrring you now i'm like wow We have had to take a large reduction on the house and OH's a bit worried about not taking as much as we once thought, but reading what you have put makes it all worth while.

Once the solicitor sorts things out we should be on are way in a couple of weeks. How do you like the area you live in?

Claire
Absolutely love the area I'm in. It's in Oxenford but bordering Pacific Pines. We were looking at Pac Pines but couldn't find a big enough garden that was flat, it's very hilly over there. Our garden wasn't completely flat when we bought the place but it is now and took alot less work than if it had of been a Pac Pines property. I live on a corner of 2 cauldesacs so no through traffic, very safe for kids and great neighbours. Only 15 mins to the beach and 5 mins to Westfield. Can't imagine living anywhere else really.

Marie