Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 years on the Gold Coast, after arriving skint

3 years on the Gold Coast, after arriving skint

Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:01 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 years on the Gold Coast, after arriving skint

Well I've been a bit quiet on the forum these last few months but I realised that yesterday we've actually been here 3 years...doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself.
As you may or may not know we came here with $2000 and debt in the UK. With the cash we bought an old banger of a car (which is still going) and not much else. Fortunately we had my husbands mum to stay with, which we did for the first 9 months of being here. Wasn't easy at all as we had back then a 4 year old who loved disrupting everything. Things were hard especially back then. I got a job fairly easily and Steve got one then had an accident at work so had to quit, which left not alot of money after paying board, food, childcare etc.. but atleast we were together in Oz with a roof over our head. As time went on Steve got a job in a hotel as a handyman, this was hard on us again due to the shift work involved and due to lack of childcare in the area something had to give so he quit that job and became a security guard, night work but none the less the hours were better.
So after 9 months of struggling and saving we put a deposit on our house, not alot though so we do have a large mortgage.
We've managed to pay off our English debt, we've got a new car now aswell as the old banger, and we have Ethan...our 10mth old baby. Things are going well for us now. I've just quit my job and started my own business as a family day carer from home so I can be around Ethan and also because I am aware of the shortage of child care here as we had problems finding it ourselves. Steve is still a security guard and is about to venture into busines on his own setting up a security company. Having worked in the industry going back 12 years or so and also being familiar with the way it works in Oz now, he has developed his own business plan putting forth and covering some weaknesses he's discovered, so fingers crossed that takes off too.
As for holidays, we've not had 1 night away from home as yet, not been out of QLD, we are finlly in a position to visit England and are about to book some flights for next year.
To anyone out there who thinks life is tough...it probably is, it was for us but after 3 years it has finally all come good.
marie
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 years on the Gold Coast, after arriving skint

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Well I've been a bit quiet on the forum these last few months but I realised that yesterday we've actually been here 3 years...doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself.
As you may or may not know we came here with $2000 and debt in the UK. With the cash we bought an old banger of a car (which is still going) and not much else. Fortunately we had my husbands mum to stay with, which we did for the first 9 months of being here. Wasn't easy at all as we had back then a 4 year old who loved disrupting everything. Things were hard especially back then. I got a job fairly easily and Steve got one then had an accident at work so had to quit, which left not alot of money after paying board, food, childcare etc.. but atleast we were together in Oz with a roof over our head. As time went on Steve got a job in a hotel as a handyman, this was hard on us again due to the shift work involved and due to lack of childcare in the area something had to give so he quit that job and became a security guard, night work but none the less the hours were better.
So after 9 months of struggling and saving we put a deposit on our house, not alot though so we do have a large mortgage.
We've managed to pay off our English debt, we've got a new car now aswell as the old banger, and we have Ethan...our 10mth old baby. Things are going well for us now. I've just quit my job and started my own business as a family day carer from home so I can be around Ethan and also because I am aware of the shortage of child care here as we had problems finding it ourselves. Steve is still a security guard and is about to venture into busines on his own setting up a security company. Having worked in the industry going back 12 years or so and also being familiar with the way it works in Oz now, he has developed his own business plan putting forth and covering some weaknesses he's discovered, so fingers crossed that takes off too.
As for holidays, we've not had 1 night away from home as yet, not been out of QLD, we are finlly in a position to visit England and are about to book some flights for next year.
To anyone out there who thinks life is tough...it probably is, it was for us but after 3 years it has finally all come good.
marie
Great post Marie. Good things come to those who wait. Long may your luck continue.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:55 am

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely post, Glad it is all going well for you now. We have the Inlaws to stay wih as well first off and also a nearly three year old who likes to disrupt things also I can see it being fun lol!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

A brilliant and inspiring post.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:43 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hello stranger!!!
wondered what happened to you - congratulations on baby ethan!!!
and congratulations on showing that you dont need mountains of cash to make it work

and ... 3 YEARS!!????
blimey, has it been that long!!??

good luck with the business ...

sue x
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Well done, you deserve a huge pat on the back. Lets hope its all plain sailing from now.. and best of luck with the businesses
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:28 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, great post x. C x
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

Just wanted to say that your post has made me smile - we have had house on market and no joy were going to give it all up (australia that is) but have decided to just scrape together what we can, sell the house at a loss. I have a job to go to and between us we will be pretty much selling everything and shipping essentials and kids stuff. I know it will be hard but i earn a good wage and will start quickly when we arrive, i want to do this for my kids and family and was so pleased to find someone giving a honest account of ups and downs. Thank you for post and good luck in all you do!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What a great update & well done for sticking with it & making it work for you both.
It is very reassuring to hear of people who have gone out with very little & made it happen, it means it is possible with hard work!
I wish you both well with your new business ventures
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:31 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
What a great update & well done for sticking with it & making it work for you both.
It is very reassuring to hear of people who have gone out with very little & made it happen, it means it is possible with hard work!
I wish you both well with your new business ventures
Exactly, all it took was alot of hard work, patience, and the mentality of knowing it would get easier. The first 9 months were extremely hard, I can't tell you how many times I'd sit and think to myself about giving it up and going 'home', then kicking myself and saying it'll all come good. Once we'd got the mortgage both myself and Steve atleast had stable jobs but I wasn't getting extremely regular hours so I quit that and went to work for Optus, who then closed down that particular office but I stayed there only employed by Primus telecom instead (who by the way have great rates)

In all honesty it probably took about 18 months for me to actually feel settled, I'd left behind all my family, friends etc although Steve's mum lives here I'd only met her twice previously and kind of felt like an outsider when we arrived at hers. That soon changed but still it wasn't my house, and I found it very hard adapting to living with my MIL. I'm not particularly a quiet person but on the same token I can't just walk up to someone and start talking as if I've known them for years, which could've been my downfall. I'm still like it now, I'll go to a meet and be the one person everyone thinks is a newbie.

Anyway, my business has only been going a few weeks and so far so good, Steve's biz rego came through this morning so hopefully we can get cracking on with that.

It's taken 3 years for us to be financially OK but I think that's pretty good considering we came with debt and have managed to pay that off in the meantime.

Would I do anything differently?.....No, I don't think so. Due to the circumstances I would've liked to come with more money but it hindside that wasn't possible anyway. The only way we'd of managed that would be if we had left our dog behind....there's no way we could of done that and it was never considered.

If anything, it's made us a much stronger family unit as we managed to pull through a really tough spot and have come through the other side with smiles on our faces.

Marie

Last edited by 68MEVY; Sep 12th 2008 at 2:33 am.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You should be very proud of yourselves and as I said before, I wish you every success with your new ventures as you deserve it after working hard!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

What a great post. It is hard starting out again. Wishing you and your OH success is your businesses. kate
Old Sep 13th 2008, 3:03 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

marie
Wow Marie,

Take my hat off to you guys. Remember you all well and the stories you told. Wish you all the very best for the future.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 13th 2008, 10:19 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

marie
Well done Marie, great post
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:47 pm
I'm no dog

poppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nice

Hi Marie,
Do you think you'd be in the same situation if you'd stayed in the UK?
I mean, if you'd put your minds to paying off debts etc.... Or do you think Oz offers more?
You've done fantastically well x

Last edited by poppie; Sep 14th 2008 at 9:48 pm. Reason: can't spell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.