Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 months on - small update

3 months on - small update

Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months on - small update

Originally Posted by copa
In NSW it isn't hard to find large 24 hour supermarkets.. even in the ACT they are open late and some have booze for sale in the aisles.

I was vegetarian for 7 years in Oz... never had a problem buying a large range of very fresh fruit, vegetables and all sorts of legumes and pulses. I had to cook it all from scratch... but that might be an issue for someone used to buying ready-made meals.

Australia is not the UK in a sunny location.

You'll have to adapt to the local lifestyle.
I'm very glad for you and you sound very organised. I did used to cook lots of things from scratch as I have two children three and one but mainly quorn. Ready meals were more special extras from M and S at CHristmas time,which is why I was feeling so low. However I am finding it hard to adapt to the humidity, and the homesickness.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil
Hi sorry to hear you are so homesick but go on hang in there. A great informative post, so helpful for us still waiting. Wishing you a merry christmas and all the best for 2007 Donna & Neil

Thank you so much for replying and I'll try. Have a wonderful Christmas too and good luck getting out here. If there's anything else I can help with please pm me and I'll do my best.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Est
I am feeling exactly the same. We have been away from home since 19 november and have travelled around the far east for a few weeks got to perth 10 december, spending christmas in adelaide and new year in melbourne - we are arriving in brisbane on 3 january.

I am struggling beyond belief. I am really missing my family. I really have been in tears most days since we left. I would appreciate any more advice on this and would really like to meet anyone else in the same situation in Brisbane in January. I didnt think I was such a big softy.

I agree with the goodbyes in airport as it was very very upsetting but I would not have had it any other way.

Esther
I really feel for you, you could have been describing me. Please pm me and I'll give you my number for when you arrive in Brisbane. I don't know what help I'll be but you're more than welcome to pm me or call me if you're feeling down. We're in The Gap.x
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mindblower
[.

Cheers for the post Liver bird , hang in there, hope it gets easier for you.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave . Happy Christmas to you and your family x
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marvinc
Hi Liver Bird

Great post

Wendy
x
Hi wendy, lovely to hear from you. I'll pm you x
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi love!!!!

Good to hear from you. I've been looking out for your post.
I hear what your saying in your post - all the wondering and worrying if you've made the right move,will or wont stay etc. The 2nd time I went out to oz I felt the same way and almost felt as though everything and everyone out there was going against me and just not meant to be - but here I am, 3 years later trying to go back!
I think it's all about BALANCING the good and bad sides of Oz AND the Uk. Both have good and bad sides to them. If you can achieve a better lifestyle out in Oz AND afford to come back for visits often enough then that to me is the best of both worlds. If you come back to the Uk, it'd be fantastic for a year or two but all the old annoyances are still there - just as there are things in Oz which you wont like.
It's really hard,I know - that's why I also came back to the Uk, but I'm a few years down the line now with a bit more cash under my belt to afford me a decent set up over there and hopefully then be able to afford to come back to the UK for visits when I want to.
My advice darl??? Get into things you weren't into in the Uk - sports/clubs etc, make huge efforts to meet new people,travel around the country or up/down the coasts and go inland,get your house just the way you want it and ................ DO come back for a visit -you just might see the UK very differently and see that the move to Oz was a positive one.
Nothing needs to be forever darl. Tyr to aim for a couple of years out there and enjoy all of it while your there. Anything longer tha that is a bonus. You could even stick it out to get your residency and come back to the Uk for a few years. SO many options, so don't feel like your trapped,ok?
PM me any time and thanks for the tip about getting the dog tested for the echithingy well before the actual test pre flying out.
Your a star liverbird, your doing brilliantly - keep doing what your doing.

*pearly*

( fog bound,damp and currently -2 degrees!! )
oh thank you! I'll pm youx
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karenvirginia
found your story and the replies so far very interesting and moving.... i've been here just over three years, same as pollyanna, who is great at putting into words what i'm thinking - so often! i've just had an email from my sister back in birmingham telling me about her christmas day and that she wished i was there - well so do i wish i was there at the moment!
sometimes i read these bland posts on here from people that they arrived, have wonderful well-paid jobs, the massive house with the pool, everything new, get the big 4 wheel drive, have heaps of friends and live happily ever after... if thats all true! it can be very different....
we have struggled along, coped with deaths in england, twice my husband has gone back for funerals to be with the family, i had five weeks in hospital when it was touch and go - sister came out to be with me which was just marvellous, and money has been very tight at times. i believe i got the absolute best care while i was ill though, both in northern nsw where we live and in brisbane where i was sent to, and i have no medical insurance... did not wish i was back in birmingham then!
we have alot of friends both expats and aussies and a bit of a social life, we go to the clubs (not nightclubs) mostly, but hubby really misses the pub life he was used to in england. barbies are just not his scene, so we now don't get asked to many as said no too often!
to get a normal "office" job for me had become my daily challenge. cv requirements are so precise, they want reams of "documented" and "proven" history... i am very lucky to get an interview, in fact i've only had one! my jobs so far... telesales - soul destroying and poorly paid, sewing (alterations)in a cleaners (he sacked me after 3 months for being too slow!) working in a timber factory - heavy work, on your feet all day - too much ( i was ill then and did'nt know it) howevre, it is good not to have to wear a fluro shirt anymore, not the best look!!! so i've not worked in over a year now, done a bit of sewing for the theatre company and dance school and i am now thinking that there may not be a job i can get which i like.... instead i am hoping to rent a shop, there is a little business for sale which is hopefully the way to go next...
we have made a huge mistake with the property we have moved to, but thats another story. we downsized and had to get ris of loads of stuff... i'm sentimental and its been awful....just don't feel 'at home' in this house though it is getting better.
its not all bad...every day i think how lucky we are to live is such a beautiful place and want to see much more of australia in the future, but..... its about balance, and people are who you really miss the most nad it really does hurt sometimes.
karen

Oh karen, I'm so so sorry If I've made you feel worse I really so feel for you and god knows how you've kept your head up I think you've done amazing, especially what you've been through. I'm full of admiration that you've made it three years and through such difficult times I wish you loads of love and luck in your new venture. And you are so right it's the people back home that for me made me happy and you just dont' realise until you're away from them just how important they are. Sounds trite and daft but true. All the best, x
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Liver
I've pm'ed you. Chin up, your not alone, far from it. Funny how none of us realise how overwhelming this is. I've been here since 10th Sept and have been seriously down at times.
Hopefully see you soon
Kely x
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liver bird
Hi, been here nearly three months, still horribly homesick and wish every day we could go back (numerous reasons) but going to try and hang on in there.

A few tips we've learnt for those coming out,

1.Know it's been said before, try and avoid an airport goodbye (it was horriifc and really upset our two small children as we didn't stop crying gradnparents crying etc, not what you need for a long haul flight. If you've got young kids, have a stopover where you can have a decent sleep. One of ours taken ill on the flight and we woulnd't have been able to fly on if we hadn't had a break. Singapore airlines were fab. Try and sort out night flights too.

1a) PS Get an email print out if your'e travelling wth the airline stating if you're a permanent resident your 40kg baggage allowance. YOU NEED PROOF as they may try and charge! Just cover your backs.

2. Don't rent a car from the airport, much cheaper in town. Cheapest way to get from Brisbane airport to town or place where you're staying is taxi. Also place where you're satying may be able to get you a good deal on car rental as they may have a deal with the company> Thrifty and Ezycar?? good value.,

3.If you have dogs, please get tehm checked out perhaps have an erlichia test before you come out. One of ours has failed hers and its broken our hearts. We're still hoping to get her out here. But this test is only done 14 days before they fly so if they fail it (and your flights are booked like ours) you're stuffed.
also theyr're not big on pet insurance here and won't insure if your pet is over 8. Pet plan have just opened which seem the most reasonable but you need to check what it covers. You can't transfer policies from Pet Plan UK (I tried and they wont'.) Racq won't let you take out pet insurance unless its linked to another policy of theirs as far as I can gather. RACQ and department of transport onlyplaces that sold Drivign in Queensland booklet (I looked for it everywhere).

4. If renting unfurnished, Radio Rentals hire out tellies and dvds and washing machines and tumble driers (found it invaluable) for about 100 quid a month, cheapest models. Bought airbeds adn beanbargs from target and k mart.

5. Good Guys here for eleccy stuff. Good for cash. Bought our fridge and a cheap hoover. Don't bother brining yoru UK fridges, but DO bring your frontloader washing machines and tumble driers!

6. Bring if you can very light long sleeve cotton shirts and long trousers for the kids. Can't find them anywhere here and the sun's strong.

7. Try and get your loved ones sorted with skype and webcams before you come. There's also a range of cheap phone cards you can buy here to use from a landlnine which you pay certain amounts on and gets you cheap calls to the UK (about a cent a minute).You have to dial loads of numbers first. Also have a looking moneysavingexpert.com as they have a c heap number you can dial from the UK, or look up jahjah on internet which allows you to get free calls via your computer.

8.If you're trying to sell your house (like we were) while in Oz, give your solicitor power of attorney, makes it so much easier.

9. Our goods damanged in the container. Make sure if you take out insurance with people other than your shippers that you list the exact value or you'll lose out.

10. Supermarkets are much more limited (my opinion) here, hardly any ready meals and limited choice (I'm dead lazy, miss M and S and tesco and Sainsbury's SO SO Much. Coles and Woolies do deliver to you at home, but only if you live in the right area. We don't! Also big shock!! to find you can't buy booze in supermarkets, have to go to a liquor store.

11. Everywhere seems to shut at 5pm on a saturday (beware! we were caught out)

12. Cheaper and nicer to shop for food at delis, grocers, butchers, fishmongers etc. Taks loads more time than whizzing round tescos but have found food to be as expensive here.

13. If you're veggie - they don't do Quorn and veggie stuff not that nice.(just opinion) I eat fish and ahve been able to manage but struggling as find it too hot to start cooking loads of veggie dishes from scratch. They do do veggie pizzas, veggie filled pasta, and some veggie sausages,f rankfurters and tofu here but to be honest not that keen on them! also can't seem to find quiche anywhere! foudn one in the deli counter at coles but perhaps peole cook them from scratch. Living off veggie stir fries and macaroni cheese!

hope this helps someone at least! a very homesick Liver Bird. PS oz may turn out not to be for us but at least we tried.

Hang on in there. Your post v. useful I am just waiting for my visa and hope to be in Oz sooner rather than later. Like you say at least you have given it a go, so no regrets. It is better than wondering what if.
Where about you originally from In the'Pool?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
Hang on in there. Your post v. useful I am just waiting for my visa and hope to be in Oz sooner rather than later. Like you say at least you have given it a go, so no regrets. It is better than wondering what if.
Where about you originally from In the'Pool?

Somewhere really posh!! Not!! Kenny!! but lived down south when I moved over. God I miss it!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Somewhere really posh!! Not!! Kenny!! but lived down south when I moved over. God I miss it!

What d'ya mean not Kenny..how posh d'ya want it ha ha.

I moved to the dark side (Wallasey), a while ago coz of family commitments but still work in Liverpool.

So come on which posh bit?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:03 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, been here nearly three months, still horribly homesick and wish every day we could go back (numerous reasons) but going to try and hang on in there.

A few tips we've learnt for those coming out,

1.Know it's been said before, try and avoid an airport goodbye (it was horriifc and really upset our two small children as we didn't stop crying gradnparents crying etc, not what you need for a long haul flight. If you've got young kids, have a stopover where you can have a decent sleep. One of ours taken ill on the flight and we woulnd't have been able to fly on if we hadn't had a break. Singapore airlines were fab. Try and sort out night flights too.

1a) PS Get an email print out if your'e travelling wth the airline stating if you're a permanent resident your 40kg baggage allowance. YOU NEED PROOF as they may try and charge! Just cover your backs.

2. Don't rent a car from the airport, much cheaper in town. Cheapest way to get from Brisbane airport to town or place where you're staying is taxi. Also place where you're satying may be able to get you a good deal on car rental as they may have a deal with the company> Thrifty and Ezycar?? good value.,

3.If you have dogs, please get tehm checked out perhaps have an erlichia test before you come out. One of ours has failed hers and its broken our hearts. We're still hoping to get her out here. But this test is only done 14 days before they fly so if they fail it (and your flights are booked like ours) you're stuffed.
also theyr're not big on pet insurance here and won't insure if your pet is over 8. Pet plan have just opened which seem the most reasonable but you need to check what it covers. You can't transfer policies from Pet Plan UK (I tried and they wont'.) Racq won't let you take out pet insurance unless its linked to another policy of theirs as far as I can gather. RACQ and department of transport onlyplaces that sold Drivign in Queensland booklet (I looked for it everywhere).

4. If renting unfurnished, Radio Rentals hire out tellies and dvds and washing machines and tumble driers (found it invaluable) for about 100 quid a month, cheapest models. Bought airbeds adn beanbargs from target and k mart.

5. Good Guys here for eleccy stuff. Good for cash. Bought our fridge and a cheap hoover. Don't bother brining yoru UK fridges, but DO bring your frontloader washing machines and tumble driers!

6. Bring if you can very light long sleeve cotton shirts and long trousers for the kids. Can't find them anywhere here and the sun's strong.

7. Try and get your loved ones sorted with skype and webcams before you come. There's also a range of cheap phone cards you can buy here to use from a landlnine which you pay certain amounts on and gets you cheap calls to the UK (about a cent a minute).You have to dial loads of numbers first. Also have a looking moneysavingexpert.com as they have a c heap number you can dial from the UK, or look up jahjah on internet which allows you to get free calls via your computer.

8.If you're trying to sell your house (like we were) while in Oz, give your solicitor power of attorney, makes it so much easier.

9. Our goods damanged in the container. Make sure if you take out insurance with people other than your shippers that you list the exact value or you'll lose out.

10. Supermarkets are much more limited (my opinion) here, hardly any ready meals and limited choice (I'm dead lazy, miss M and S and tesco and Sainsbury's SO SO Much. Coles and Woolies do deliver to you at home, but only if you live in the right area. We don't! Also big shock!! to find you can't buy booze in supermarkets, have to go to a liquor store.

11. Everywhere seems to shut at 5pm on a saturday (beware! we were caught out)

12. Cheaper and nicer to shop for food at delis, grocers, butchers, fishmongers etc. Taks loads more time than whizzing round tescos but have found food to be as expensive here.

13. If you're veggie - they don't do Quorn and veggie stuff not that nice.(just opinion) I eat fish and ahve been able to manage but struggling as find it too hot to start cooking loads of veggie dishes from scratch. They do do veggie pizzas, veggie filled pasta, and some veggie sausages,f rankfurters and tofu here but to be honest not that keen on them! also can't seem to find quiche anywhere! foudn one in the deli counter at coles but perhaps peole cook them from scratch. Living off veggie stir fries and macaroni cheese!

hope this helps someone at least! a very homesick Liver Bird. PS oz may turn out not to be for us but at least we tried.
I wish you all the best Liver Bird. It's not necessarily the dream we big it up to be is it?

Those first few months were a killer for us - well for me moreso. Homesickness was something else. Tough them out though, because after that is often a nice period, though there was no 'honeymoon' for me - just far more pleasant and easy. Don't think forever - don't think anything but a day at a time if possible. We had 2.5 good years and came back with a baby, dog, and new qualification and career for OH, and have citizenship for us and the kids for any return we may make in the future. We have no regrets about going or returning, but I KNOW that if I returned within a few months I would regret it. If it helps, treat it as a long holiday for now and see how it goes, but do take it a day at a time if you can.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:53 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Look what you have achieved - it says it all in your invaluable honest post.
You should be proud for hanging in there.
It takes time.
I know as my best mate has been on MSN and the phone numerous times since she arrived nearly a year ago in January and her calls are becoming less frequent and less stressful because she is getting there.
She had no friends for the first 4 months and then had many invites for christmas.
What I am saying is you will get there!!
Be brave,
J x
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:16 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Liver bird, so sorry to hear that you are struggling with things so far, you have gone out at a very difficult time to start with havent you, im sure christmas is the hardest time for most people and you have only just got there :scared: . I am sure that that good old scouse reserve will see you through and that the new year will bring good feelings for you all. Keep going girl i am sure you will get through this tough period and as said in a previous post you will start to see the reasons that you have gone through all this in the first place. Good luck love, keep ya chin up.

Nev
Old Dec 28th 2006, 1:43 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very glad for you and you sound very organised. I did used to cook lots of things from scratch as I have two children three and one but mainly quorn. Ready meals were more special extras from M and S at CHristmas time,which is why I was feeling so low. However I am finding it hard to adapt to the humidity, and the homesickness.
If the heat is getting to you... cook outside on a fancy BBQ... just like many of the locals do. some BBQs even come with a place for a wok if you enjoy a stir-fry..

have you discovered this shop yet? I liked shopping there when i was a vegetarian..

http://www.mrsflannerys.com.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.