Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 year commitment complete :)

2 year commitment complete :)

Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:16 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 year commitment complete :)

Hi all

I am pleased to share that I fulfilled my (Subclass 190) two-year commitment to WA last week.

I actually arrived in Perth on a 476 (Recent Engineering Graduate) in May 2011. The 476 is an 18 month visa and unfortunately some life stuff happened and I didn't have my documents sorted in time so I left Australia the day before my visa expired and lodged a 190 application offshore (I think I was in Malaysia when I was invited to apply).

I was extremely hopeful and kept my apartment. I front-loaded my medical and I sorted my police certificates ahead of time. Fortunately I was granted a visa within 3 months. I returned to Australia a permanent resident in February 2013, and registered with the State of WA the following day.

The past two years has been interesting, especially with the decline in the mining industry. After my last job fizzled out I took time off to figure out what I wanted to do. I have been accepted to Melbourne Uni for a graduate degree in law, which I have already started. So, although I have a few months left until I'm eligible for citizenship I will be leaving Perth and shifting to Melbourne for my studies.

I have really enjoyed my time in Perth and made great friends both through work and my hobbies. Thanks also to the BE community for being there.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 year commitment complete :)

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Hi all

I am pleased to share that I fulfilled my (Subclass 190) two-year commitment to WA last week.

I actually arrived in Perth on a 476 (Recent Engineering Graduate) in May 2011. The 476 is an 18 month visa and unfortunately some life stuff happened and I didn't have my documents sorted in time so I left Australia the day before my visa expired and lodged a 190 application offshore (I think I was in Malaysia when I was invited to apply).

I was extremely hopeful and kept my apartment. I front-loaded my medical and I sorted my police certificates ahead of time. Fortunately I was granted a visa within 3 months. I returned to Australia a permanent resident in February 2013, and registered with the State of WA the following day.

The past two years has been interesting, especially with the decline in the mining industry. After my last job fizzled out I took time off to figure out what I wanted to do. I have been accepted to Melbourne Uni for a graduate degree in law, which I have already started. So, although I have a few months left until I'm eligible for citizenship I will be leaving Perth and shifting to Melbourne for my studies.

I have really enjoyed my time in Perth and made great friends both through work and my hobbies. Thanks also to the BE community for being there.
Congratulations and good luck in Melbourne. What area of law are you hoping to do?

We have a 176 visa and will have done our two years in April although having just bought a house, there are no plans to be moving again anytime soon
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:51 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Congratulations and good luck in Melbourne. What area of law are you hoping to do?

We have a 176 visa and will have done our two years in April although having just bought a house, there are no plans to be moving again anytime soon
I'm studying Construction Law Taking a few intro courses to see if it'll help with my career goals, but so far I've enjoyed it.

I think we arrived in Australia at roughly the same time, I remember some of your earlier posts!
Old Feb 27th 2015, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm studying Construction Law Taking a few intro courses to see if it'll help with my career goals, but so far I've enjoyed it.

I think we arrived in Australia at roughly the same time, I remember some of your earlier posts!
Congrats
Old Mar 1st 2015, 5:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2 year commitment complete :)

I will be leaving Perth and shifting to Melbourne
As always, I'll be interested to hear your comparisons!

BB
Old Mar 1st 2015, 6:56 am
Lost in the antipodes

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
As always, I'll be interested to hear your comparisons!

BB
I was in Melbourne last month for my first seminar. Stayed out in Essendon and took the tram into town for my lectures.

Conceptually, I think I should *love* Melbourne, but I only like Melbourne. It has everything I love: Coffee! Asian food! Arts scene! Knitting!

Perth isn't a bad little spot. I've made some good friends here and I'm sad to be leaving. Then again, there's also a world of difference in perspective when you're a cashed-up FIFO worker essentially on one week's holiday to a student living on a budget

I'm sure I will love Melbourne once I get settled in and start making friends and doing stuff.

Also my attitude towards Perth has improved now that it's started to cool down and below 30 for the past few days

Last edited by msmyrtle; Mar 1st 2015 at 7:21 am.