Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Perth arrived sep 2010

2 weeks in Perth arrived sep 2010

Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Jiffy 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 weeks in Perth arrived sep 2010

Almost hit the 2 months and I am finding it very very difficult and I am trying very hard to stay positive but its difficult. Hubby and daughter are settling and enjoying it, my 18 year old son is working part time and has made some friends but it hasn`t been very easy for him either. But I have been told the first 6months are the hardest so 2 down and another 4 to go
Wish me luck!!!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jiffy 1
Almost hit the 2 months and I am finding it very very difficult and I am trying very hard to stay positive but its difficult. Hubby and daughter are settling and enjoying it, my 18 year old son is working part time and has made some friends but it hasn`t been very easy for him either. But I have been told the first 6months are the hardest so 2 down and another 4 to go
Wish me luck!!!
Tell me about it. I've had an awful few days. I could so do with a coffee & good chat with my best mate about anything & everything & all those silly little things that get to me. I'm missing my kids like crazy & that's not helped by a message on my FB page this morning from my daughter asking if she can ring (how many more times do I have to tell my kids to ring whenever) as she really needs to talk to me about something. I text her at 5am this morning to say ring now but she wouldn't as she was at home & didn't want anyone in the house listening. She's 14 so you can imagine everything that's been going through my mind all day

I've been told it takes about 2 years to settled down properly. After 2 months I keep thinking it's been 'this' many weeks since I last saw everyone & it's going to probably be a good year or so before I see them again. Hubby tells me I'm not ringing everyone enough but I really don't want to ring when I'm having a low day & end up crying down the phone.

It is still very early days, hang in there & I hope it gets better for you.

Alison x
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thats hard i`m like this and my kids are with me goodness knows how i would be if they were back in the uk. Do you know anyone who lives here in Oz? Or have you made some friends? I`v met some people who have been very nice and we have been invited out which has been great but there`s no substitue for your best mate when you are feeling down
Take care
Amanda x
Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

UPDATE , bored and not liking suburbia living in port kennedy only places woth living are near freo or city like mt hawtorn where there is life cafes restaurants and pubs ..........here is very bogan too rockingham ...lonley existance any one else feel the same ?????, I am trying to get out of my lease as spa been broken for 7 weeks ...owner useless ......2 older .kids had to go to christian school as the state school here is feral I am taliking about secondary ,..still missing home to some degree as everything in england is on your doorstep , just has shitty weather , hubby has just secured a job employes for a mining company he is away for a week doing a shut down then he is back working in the city .....other than poking my eyes out from boredom lol....all ok
Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Thats hard i`m like this and my kids are with me goodness knows how i would be if they were back in the uk. Do you know anyone who lives here in Oz? Or have you made some friends? I`v met some people who have been very nice and we have been invited out which has been great but there`s no substitue for your best mate when you are feeling down
Take care
Amanda x
Yes I'm lucky I have friends here. Hubby's mate who he's known since they were 16 lives around the corner & I have friends who I've know about 14 years who lived about 5 miles or so from me in the UK are about 5 miles away from me now (spent the afternoon there drinking coffee & chatting ) plus I have another friend moving over early next year if all goes to plan. I've also made a few friends here through talking to other mum's at school which is all good.

It all takes time, my friendships in the UK were built up over years so can't expect too much after 10 weeks. I'm looking forward to my youngest starting kindy in February so I can get out on my bike at Burns & escape for a bit alone or go walking as planned with one of the mum's from school.

Like you we were lucky that hubby secured a job within a few weeks of getting here, it takes a huge weight off of things & made it seem a bit more permanent here. Hope your son settles a bit more with his job.

Alison x
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Hi Alison,
Where are you living? we are at present in Carramar but going to apply for a rental in Tapping on Monday so fingers crossed. My son and I were at burns for lunch on Wed so if you ever want to meet up for a coffee let me know.
Amanda x
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Alison,
Where are you living? we are at present in Carramar but going to apply for a rental in Tapping on Monday so fingers crossed. My son and I were at burns for lunch on Wed so if you ever want to meet up for a coffee let me know.
Amanda x
I'm always up for coffee I'm about a 10 minute drive from Burns Beach. I sat down at Quinns in the car drinking coffee watching the sea & the rain coming down on Wednesday afternoon whilst my son sat happily playing on my ds.

Alison x
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:47 am
Just Joined

At last we secured a rental today in Tapping and get the keys next Wednesday and our furniture also arrives next week, hopefeully it`ll help us all to settle!!
How are you doing Alison ?
Amanda x
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

At last we secured a rental today in Tapping and get the keys next Wednesday and our furniture also arrives next week, hopefeully it`ll help us all to settle!!
How are you doing Alison ?
Amanda x
That's brilliant news Having your own stuff back makes a word of difference, certainly made us feel more settled although a few tears unpacking stuff like my older kids bits & pieces that I still have & everything smelt so familiar & nice too, daft though that may sound.

I'm doing ok thanks. Had a trip to Ikea yesterday (still need to hang my bargain curtains) & spent this morning helping out in my daughters class which I really enjoyed. Also meant I had some adult conversation in between getting sticky making nest pictures with the kids.

Alison x
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:20 am
Just Joined

We had a visit to Ikea on the weekend
As soon as the house is sorted I then have the task of finding a job
Hope you are speaking to your children bk in the UK alot as hard as it may be!
Amanda xx
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

We had a visit to Ikea on the weekend
As soon as the house is sorted I then have the task of finding a job
Hope you are speaking to your children bk in the UK alot as hard as it may be!
Amanda xx
I need to start looking for a part time job once little guy starts kindy in February. I speak to my kids quite a lot but it's my daughter who I chat to the most & she was the one who refused to see or speak to me when we left. She also said a while back that she'd never live abroad but I've had several texts today saying she wants to come & live with us Only downside is we're going to have to wait until she's 16 & out of the residency order in the UK but that gives me time to get her visa sorted if it's what she wants.

Alison x
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to WA everyone.

I know and understand that a lot of you are starting to feel the negatives. I completly understand. The first 12 - 18 months i was here i hated the place. Would have rather lived in the north pole. Thought it is boring, full of bogans and the Perth "attitdue" stinks.

There is some truth in this. Some areas such as Rockingham, Port Ken and some area in the north are Bogan central - just like some areas in the UK. But most are not. I live south of Mandurah in an area called Southport. Next to the ocean and most of the people who live there are proffessionals in the mining or oil buisness - i am a geologist.

Boring. Mmm, it can seem it, but its more that things are a bit different. The CBD is certainly boring - there are some nice bars and a dew decent places to eat and with the big openings soon of some of the best chefs in Oz its about to become a lot better, but normally you have to get away from the CBD. I like northbridge during the day for great dim sum.

Freo is nice and lots of little places to eat and drink.

We are south of Mandurah and there arent many pubs / cafes etc, but we love the piece and tranquility. I love that i can walk out of my door and swim with dolphins. Somthing that after 2 years i am still in awe of. I love going into Mandurah and taking a kyak around the foreshore then comming back and sitting in Cafe Pronto watching the water and having a few drinks. Taking the dog for a walk and watching him try to chase the roos.

I love being able to head down to Margaret River. Amazing to do in winter and tour the wineries and choclate factories, little cheese makers then curl up in front of a big log fire with local wines and the goodies bought that day.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:24 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi and welcome to WA everyone.

I know and understand that a lot of you are starting to feel the negatives. I completly understand. The first 12 - 18 months i was here i hated the place. Would have rather lived in the north pole. Thought it is boring, full of bogans and the Perth "attitdue" stinks.

There is some truth in this. Some areas such as Rockingham, Port Ken and some area in the north are Bogan central - just like some areas in the UK. But most are not. I live south of Mandurah in an area called Southport. Next to the ocean and most of the people who live there are proffessionals in the mining or oil buisness - i am a geologist.

Boring. Mmm, it can seem it, but its more that things are a bit different. The CBD is certainly boring - there are some nice bars and a dew decent places to eat and with the big openings soon of some of the best chefs in Oz its about to become a lot better, but normally you have to get away from the CBD. I like northbridge during the day for great dim sum.

Freo is nice and lots of little places to eat and drink.

We are south of Mandurah and there arent many pubs / cafes etc, but we love the piece and tranquility. I love that i can walk out of my door and swim with dolphins. Somthing that after 2 years i am still in awe of. I love going into Mandurah and taking a kyak around the foreshore then comming back and sitting in Cafe Pronto watching the water and having a few drinks. Taking the dog for a walk and watching him try to chase the roos.

I love being able to head down to Margaret River. Amazing to do in winter and tour the wineries and choclate factories, little cheese makers then curl up in front of a big log fire with local wines and the goodies bought that day.
I have never been to Margaret River - is it nice? We are heading down that way next year for our wedding anniversary, I am really looking forward to it. And we are off camping in two weeks, another thing I love doing.

Any tips for good places to eat at Margaret River?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It is stunning. The town itself isnt that amazing, nice but not amazing, but the countryside around is stunning. There are loads of great places to eat.

In town you have Must - a branch of the one that is in Perth and has had great reviews, Arc of Iris is nice and we had a great meal there. Its a bit quirky but good food and service. The best places are the wineries. The best are Vasse Felix, Xanadu and Voyager estate and Knee Deep, but there are loads of others and part of the fun is driving around and seeing what you run into. Another good way is to do a winery tour - that way you can drink and see what they have to offer.

There is one place i will mention, simply because it is popular. Winos. It is a nice looking place with a huge selection of wine and the first time we went we had a great meal. However, the second time earlier this year it was terrible with poor service to match - a spatchcocked chicked was sent back because not only was it not spatchcocked, but bloody inside. It is a tapas style of dining and very expensive for what it is. However, it does have some good reviews and the west australian reviewed it recently and was very positive.

For somewhere to stay, have a look at Margaret River Hideaway. We will be back there in february and love the place. Just be careful with evenings as a lot of the wineries only servce lunch
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Originally Posted by verystormy
It is stunning. The town itself isnt that amazing, nice but not amazing, but the countryside around is stunning. There are loads of great places to eat.

In town you have Must - a branch of the one that is in Perth and has had great reviews, Arc of Iris is nice and we had a great meal there. Its a bit quirky but good food and service. The best places are the wineries. The best are Vasse Felix, Xanadu and Voyager estate and Knee Deep, but there are loads of others and part of the fun is driving around and seeing what you run into. Another good way is to do a winery tour - that way you can drink and see what they have to offer.

There is one place i will mention, simply because it is popular. Winos. It is a nice looking place with a huge selection of wine and the first time we went we had a great meal. However, the second time earlier this year it was terrible with poor service to match - a spatchcocked chicked was sent back because not only was it not spatchcocked, but bloody inside. It is a tapas style of dining and very expensive for what it is. However, it does have some good reviews and the west australian reviewed it recently and was very positive.

For somewhere to stay, have a look at Margaret River Hideaway. We will be back there in february and love the place. Just be careful with evenings as a lot of the wineries only servce lunch
sounds nice and chilled where you live. I do love freo big time , mandurah has some good little shops unlike roko .............I might take a trip to margret river ....thanks for your post

Last edited by bruce n sheila; Nov 19th 2010 at 7:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.