Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Perth arrived sep 2010

2 weeks in Perth arrived sep 2010

Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all
Default 2 weeks in Perth arrived sep 2010

Well the goodbyes were terrible we all went up in a mini bus to airport . Me hubby 4 kids . Sons girlfriend came to say bye his two mates and my best friend etc put it this way . Quite a few . We cryed and cryed then border the plane . I kept thinking what have we done !! Cried more for three solid hours leaving my dad stood at the airport was sad . As my mum passed 10 years ago . I felt like I was abandoning him . Well we flew Cathay pacific and flew for two days to Hong KOng stayed in hong kong island . Horrible place hong kong . Much preferred Singapore on a previous recci . Well after a 7 hr flight we arrived into Perth 10.45 pm was freezing cold . And first impressions looked like England . Got picked up by a guy who works for the guy who owns let's Perth we found them on the Internet . We hired a people carrier and house for three weeks from in in Connolly . we were all shattered from the travelling and emotionally drained . So we all crashed out woke up the next morning to be plesently surprised by glorious sun and parrots outside our window ....... Will write next chapter tomorrow
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 weeks in Perth arrived sep 2010

Ah that sounds awful all the sad goodbyes! Don't think I could face people coming up to the airport to wave us off

Congratulations on the move! Glorious sunshine outside your window and parrots sounds fab! Look forward to the next instalment
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:00 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Even after nearly four years - reading that personal anguish and pain that the goodbyes cause is always heart renching!

BUT there's a reason you're doing this and focus on that - and the parrots
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:09 pm
darrens1

darrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nice

We will be doing the same in 8 weeks, (time use to go slow , now its going really quick) remember the reasons you are migrating be strong and support each other. Be confident that it will work. Maybe when we get over we can meet up and share experiences.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

rise2shine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bruce n sheila
Well the goodbyes were terrible we all went up in a mini bus to airport . Me hubby 4 kids . Sons girlfriend came to say bye his two mates and my best friend etc put it this way . Quite a few . We cryed and cryed then border the plane . I kept thinking what have we done !! Cried more for three solid hours leaving my dad stood at the airport was sad . As my mum passed 10 years ago . I felt like I was abandoning him . Well we flew Cathay pacific and flew for two days to Hong KOng stayed in hong kong island . Horrible place hong kong . Much preferred Singapore on a previous recci . Well after a 7 hr flight we arrived into Perth 10.45 pm was freezing cold . And first impressions looked like England . Got picked up by a guy who works for the guy who owns let's Perth we found them on the Internet . We hired a people carrier and house for three weeks from in in Connolly . we were all shattered from the travelling and emotionally drained . So we all crashed out woke up the next morning to be plesently surprised by glorious sun and parrots outside our window ....... Will write next chapter tomorrow
congratulations
Please keep us updated about your job hunting and other adjustments
You will be quite helpful for all new entrants
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Part 2/

Well after the first day we drove around ocean reef , and wow the houses on the sea front are out of this world huuggggeeee !!! . Tried to get the feel for joondalup my impression very americanised lakeside shopping centre pretty good . I did notice the amount of Brits walking about . I have travelled to Brisbane cairns and Sydney and Adelaide and never came across a Brit . But Perth is like little Britain . So if you are thinking of coming here to escape the brits back in blighty , choose somewhere else is mu advise . The beaches well only saw cottesloe which was nice and ocean reef . Which I preferred as it was like a little cove crystal clear water . Much better beaches than my experience of the east side .
We set out looking at areas . Liked mullaloo ocean reef . Further north houses are smaller and areas are nice too but just preferred those areas . Try getting a rental phhhuhhh !!! We went to one and here in Perth especially up north they do home viewings and invite who ever is interested on one show day . So we look at one house with fifteen other people . No chance Why??? You day . Because were English and have no built up credit . So if your coming over to Perth houses are few and far between . And u need refs from home and people here friends (whoever) need to be working . Bla bla . Absolute nightmare . After several attempts of handing an application form in to the estate agents . We have to wait 48 hrs and pay one week up front . So can't really apply for three houses coughing up 3 weeks rent as a total just to see if we get it . If we do , then we get money back so in theory applying and waiting for one house takes time .we also got 3 cats in quarantine and that put people off , so if your coming over with pets it's going to be doubly hard ... We got so fed up we started looking south . It was the same but not as manic about rentals as north !! . We applied
for a house that stunk of dogs , good points it had
a pool and guess what we thought we definitely get it , but NO !!! We didn't .
Applied for an over priced 4 by 2 pool hot tub , cinema room , however dated a bit . $500 per week in port Kennedy . Not where we want but it's by a lake , shopping cenre etc schools . And to our disbelief , we got it whooooooooo I was ecstatic over a bloody dated rental , as I was beginning to think we will have to go back to blighty and fly us and our cats back . Now tbe good bits
We applied for medicare easy !!!! Applied for ozzy driving licence easy takes minutes . bought a KIA carnival people carier . And hubby bought a yute . changing details over easy . U just renew your rego yearly . Well schools state schools seem ok but the kids walk round like right chavs from them not to say the kids aren't nice or schools just saying what I see . The private school kids look normal , am I sending mine to private .. no lol have to wear tracky bottoms to school my 14 yr old and trainers , he's happy as a pig in shit !! ... But not got money to send to private . Would if I did . Not seen city yet but once settled will . I am making the big move tomorrow from our temp rental to port Kennedy house . So as far as differences I think the ozzies have a lot more right over here than uk . Some things are so much easier here . Weathers gorgeous and not even summer yet . And the ozzies are so much more friendlier happy and helpful than us Brits !! Food is much the same . I like vegemite .
Will say drivers are worse here though . And the other day we called the cops as a driver was swirving all over the road pissed !!! Well will update soon . I am no whinging pom just saying it how I see it .... Until next time lots of love
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Part 2/

Well after the first day we drove around ocean reef , and wow the houses on the sea front are out of this world huuggggeeee !!! . Tried to get the feel for joondalup my impression very americanised lakeside shopping centre pretty good . I did notice the amount of Brits walking about . I have travelled to Brisbane cairns and Sydney and Adelaide and never came across a Brit . But Perth is like little Britain . So if you are thinking of coming here to escape the brits back in blighty , choose somewhere else is mu advise . The beaches well only saw cottesloe which was nice and ocean reef . Which I preferred as it was like a little cove crystal clear water . Much better beaches than my experience of the east side .
We set out looking at areas . Liked mullaloo ocean reef . Further north houses are smaller and areas are nice too but just preferred those areas . Try getting a rental phhhuhhh !!! We went to one and here in Perth especially up north they do home viewings and invite who ever is interested on one show day . So we look at one house with fifteen other people . No chance Why??? You day . Because were English and have no built up credit . So if your coming over to Perth houses are few and far between . And u need refs from home and people here friends (whoever) need to be working . Bla bla . Absolute nightmare . After several attempts of handing an application form in to the estate agents . We have to wait 48 hrs and pay one week up front . So can't really apply for three houses coughing up 3 weeks rent as a total just to see if we get it . If we do , then we get money back so in theory applying and waiting for one house takes time .we also got 3 cats in quarantine and that put people off , so if your coming over with pets it's going to be doubly hard ... We got so fed up we started looking south . It was the same but not as manic about rentals as north !! . We applied
for a house that stunk of dogs , good points it had
a pool and guess what we thought we definitely get it , but NO !!! We didn't .
Applied for an over priced 4 by 2 pool hot tub , cinema room , however dated a bit . $500 per week in port Kennedy . Not where we want but it's by a lake , shopping cenre etc schools . And to our disbelief , we got it whooooooooo I was ecstatic over a bloody dated rental , as I was beginning to think we will have to go back to blighty and fly us and our cats back . Now tbe good bits
We applied for medicare easy !!!! Applied for ozzy driving licence easy takes minutes . bought a KIA carnival people carier . And hubby bought a yute . changing details over easy . U just renew your rego yearly . Well schools state schools seem ok but the kids walk round like right chavs from them not to say the kids aren't nice or schools just saying what I see . The private school kids look normal , am I sending mine to private .. no lol have to wear tracky bottoms to school my 14 yr old and trainers , he's happy as a pig in shit !! ... But not got money to send to private . Would if I did . Not seen city yet but once settled will . I am making the big move tomorrow from our temp rental to port Kennedy house . So as far as differences I think the ozzies have a lot more right over here than uk . Some things are so much easier here . Weathers gorgeous and not even summer yet . And the ozzies are so much more friendlier happy and helpful than us Brits !! Food is much the same . I like vegemite .
Will say drivers are worse here though . And the other day we called the cops as a driver was swirving all over the road pissed !!! Well will update soon . I am no whinging pom just saying it how I see it .... Until next time lots of love
Hi. Hoping to make the move to Perth ourselves next year. How did you get sorted with a rental before you got there? How have you found looking for work? So many questions lol. Hope you are settling in well and adjusting to your new life
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
Hi. Hoping to make the move to Perth ourselves next year. How did you get sorted with a rental before you got there? How have you found looking for work? So many questions lol. Hope you are settling in well and adjusting to your new life
Have you been before here ? It's hard choosing a rental will be difficult with out seeing it first . Best to get temporary rental for a few weeks and look around . We just found it hard as need lots of references as no credit built up . jobs there will be jobs here more so than in uk . Hubby got offered job straight away . But starts the 27 th sep as wanted to get into rental and sort kids in school . Not sure If u got kids but schools are different here . Any more help I am happy to try to help . Will do update soon .
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:25 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Book some holiday accommodation for a month before you come . Look around , find nice rental & flash the cash . Be first .
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Have you been before here ? It's hard choosing a rental will be difficult with out seeing it first . Best to get temporary rental for a few weeks and look around . We just found it hard as need lots of references as no credit built up . jobs there will be jobs here more so than in uk . Hubby got offered job straight away . But starts the 27 th sep as wanted to get into rental and sort kids in school . Not sure If u got kids but schools are different here . Any more help I am happy to try to help . Will do update soon .
Hi...yep we have two boys 12 and 14. I have been to Oz three times but have decided on Perth as we have friends living there already, well, in Hammond Park to be exact. We are really looking forward to the move. I have my visa, the delay is in getting Gaynors visa as we only got married this year and I already had my visa before we met. Any info as you settle in would be great. We will follow your updates with interest.

Best of luck and keep the posts coming
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Icarus
Book some holiday accommodation for a month before you come . Look around , find nice rental & flash the cash . Be first .
Good advice. Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Jiffy 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, myself and my family have been in Perth for almost 7weeks and we experienced the same emotional goodbyes, to say it was hard was an understatement.
My hubby has been lucky and got a job within the first 2 weeks and is a lecturer at the electrical college, he has loads of info on getting electrical qualifications sorted so will be happy to pass on this info if anyone needs it.
We are renting a holiday let at the mo in Carramar which is lovely but expensive and we have extended it as our furniture has been delayed until the end of the month.
Its was difficult getting my 14 year old daughter into school but finally managed it and she is enjoying it
My 18 year old son has a part-time job until we can get him into TAFFE next year.
As for me its been up`s and down`s and more down`s than up but early days yet. Still loking for that rental
If I can help anyone that will be great not that I know loads
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Another one here who arrived in Perth at the beginning of September. It's actually made me cry reading about your farewells as it's still all very raw for me too especially leaving my 2 teenage sons at the airport. Heartbreaking doesn't even touch it.

Have to say we had no problems getting a rental & moved in a week after we landed. Viewed 3 places, 1st - well scabby, 2nd - lovely but too small & really liked the 3rd although the garden is a bit untidy & the carpets in the lounge room smelt of dogs but it was exactly where we wanted to be - walking distance to shops, school & friends house. They spoke to 2 of our friends here for references (may have helped that one of them is a copper lol) & checked our bank account as hubby didn't have a job at the time.

Loving it so far although missing my 3 teenagers like crazy. Guess I should really do an update of my own

Alison x
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:45 am
Just Joined

gilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nice

Congratulations to all of you, everbody who's upped and moved to Oz, for whatever the reason. Its a HUGE thing to do, and even when the downs are more than the ups don't forget, you're a long time dead, and this is a life adventure you didn't turn your back on regardless of the outcome.
Looking forward to seeing more of the updates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.