Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice
Default Re: 2 months & 2 weeks in Perth..... but!

Unfortunately this is all he's ever done so he's not qualified for anything else - will see what happens - good luck to you too x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Scotland to Saudi to Scotland to Netherlands to Scotland to Oz!
Fima_Cege will become famous soon enoughFima_Cege will become famous soon enough

All,

This is the reality thread from what I read.

I feel so sorry for you guys but the cynical part of me thinks they just want you to sell your house in the UK and bring all that lovely equity with you to prop up local economies....shameful.

This is not really what I think immigrating is about but it seems like you need sterner support from the expat community.

We are planning to come to Oz around March 2009 and will make a point of using expat tradesmen whenever we get any work done.

I also spent a lot of time working with Aussies every day for 6 years on an overseas contract and there is definitley a bit of us and them. Not that this will stop us from moving out there but just be aware of it.

Best of luck and perhaps a signed petition to the gov agency would stop this from continuing...?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

powermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kendalanita
Hi yanchep, yes I agree come out on holiday first (if you've never been), we had been out 5 times before on holiday but not actually looking for work. We applied to lots of companies before we came and only came once we had this offer. The two things you need are Cert 3 and electrical licence. Thing is you cant get your licence till you are employed but you cant get a job unless you have the licence - catch 22 - so you have to find a company that are willing to put you through this. You will not get a job without a licence. We thought that all the above would be relatively easy once we got here but we've been here 3 months now and no sign yet! Dont know how long its gonna take so you can well imagine how we are feeling - have given up a brilliant job at home with fantastic pay - to say he is demoralised is an understatement! We have been here 12 weeks and he is still not allowed to climb! Think very carefully!
I am so sorry to hear of your troubles Kendalanita....we are thinking of coming over from Canada but your posts make us very nervous. Here's hoping everything works out for you
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

pstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the rough

Hi Nic,

I have just put a tread on the site asking for advice from a builder as we live in Mindarie and need someone to come and level off our garden. We are having a house built and did not realise how uneven the land was until they put the slab down. Wish you were up here in the north Perth there is a lot more building work going on. I do remember when I arrived the first 4 months were the worse. I missed my family friends and friends I did meet I did not feel I could tell them how I felt as I did not want them to think I was a winging pomme. !!! However as time went on I stopped trying so much and found relationships with others started to bond and I starting calling Perth home. I am now back in the Uk for just the summer to see relatives and cannot wait to get back next week. There is nothing here to come back to - the house market is dropping so much there is a lot of brickies out of work here too. You are just caught in the middle. Try to get yourself out more - to meet other mums and invite a few round for a bottle of wine. You will see it will all be alright. Its WA - wait a while it means - it will come. Best wishes Pat

Nearly 3 months in Perth
Myself and my fiance have been in Perth for early 3 months now, and we absolutely LOVE it. We have a lovely 3 bedroom house, with a nice garden and pool, have made some really great friends ( Ozzies, brits and lots of scots!) and just feel the quality of life here is so so so much better than in the UK.

In the UK we worked all hours, lived in a cramped small 1 bedroom apartment and fought to make ends meat. Since moving to Perth, we have both spent a lot more time outside, it has definitely started to change our lifestyles ( and our waistlines are shrinking by the week!).

I found it hard at first, as I felt we struggled to make friends on here due to not having any children - perth is very family orientated, which is lovely, but i think people saw us as two young'uns not really taking anything seriously. So we went out, made friends and now arent looking back. I am incredibly shy, and in the UK people just used to give up with me, but here I have really made to feel welcome.

I think the ozzies are absolutely wonderful - they are so friendly and witty, and I absolutely love it. We have been invited out so many times, for drinks, to play golf, go to the cinema, have barbis, by people we didn’t know, and that just helped us so much. I love living in such a beautiful city, where its a pleasure to walk round each day and be surrounded by such polite people and wonderful scenery.

I have felt homesick at times - but not for the places, just for my family and friends. But I don’t want to let my emotions get the better of me, because I know the life myself and my fiance can build out here is 200% better than anything we could have hoped for in the UK. And I would rather bring my future children up in Perth, than anywhere else.

Bella x
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

pstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the rough

Hi Nic,

I have just put a tread on the site asking for advice from a builder as we live in Mindarie and need someone to come and level off our garden. We are having a house built and did not realise how uneven the land was until they put the slab down. Wish you were up here in the north Perth there is a lot more building work going on. I do remember when I arrived the first 4 months were the worse. I missed my family friends and friends I did meet I did not feel I could tell them how I felt as I did not want them to think I was a winging pomme. !!! However as time went on I stopped trying so much and found relationships with others started to bond and I starting calling Perth home. I am now back in the Uk for just the summer to see relatives and cannot wait to get back next week. There is nothing here to come back to - the house market is dropping so much there is a lot of brickies out of work here too. You are just caught in the middle. Try to get yourself out more - to meet other mums and invite a few round for a bottle of wine. You will see it will all be alright. Its WA - wait a while it means - it will come. Best wishes Pat
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi I cut and pasted the wrong message to you - it was from a young person who had been here for 3 months and happy. Sorry about that or maybe it was mean't ot be. Pat