12 months in Adelaide

Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:25 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 months in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Removed that photo because it was an awkward size.

Here's a better shot:

http://sporkboy.smugmug.com/Other/Re...38_B5Wec-L.jpg

That's about half the frame. It's a double-width double-sash.
Okay make that $2,000! to replace.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 12 months in Adelaide

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
For central heating I bought a 37Kw (very approx 100,000 btu) sealed system boiler (is outside under the back verandah, 7 radiators, all the piping and connections, thermostatic valves, room stat, absolutely all that was needed and it came to $6,000. Free delivery from melbourne to us 400 klms away.This runs on LPG and is a bit thirsty but on mains gas would be a doddle.

Pipe work (all double insulated) is under the house as we are on stumps, the modern pipework is a 5 layer composite flexible pipe, no pipe bender needed.

$6,000 may sound expensive but when you think of new wood heater, all the ducting etc etc, I think it is good value.
Wow, that's a lot less than I expected! Unfortunately our suburb doesn't have gas mains, so we'd have to be on LPG too. Installation would be a bit of a challenge, since our house is double brick on a concrete slab with solid brick internal walls.

Still, definitely something to think about for the future.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:36 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hijack this: Should just mention, when googling for central heating, put hydronic central heating or hydronic heating.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:38 pm
221b Baker Street

Wow, that's a lot less than I expected! Unfortunately our suburb doesn't have gas mains, so we'd have to be on LPG too. Installation would be a bit of a challenge, since our house is double brick on a concrete slab with solid brick internal walls.

Still, definitely something to think about for the future.
I was amazed, all the stuff has to be imported, the radiators are Dutch, the bolier is Italian. I think it would cost about the same in the UK nowadays.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 12 months in Adelaide

The hardest part about moving overseas is leaving your family and friends behind and arriving in a new place where you have to start all over again.

Our advantage is that I am Australian, so we had a ready-made support network waiting for us before we even left Heathrow. Adelaide was a "second home" for me even when I lived in Western Australia; I have lots of friends and extended family here, so it was no effort at all to pick up where I had left off.

When we lived in the UK, we were ~2.5 hours away from Mrs Stampede's parents (Devon <----> West Midlands) and only saw them occasionally (perhaps three times a year at most). But here in Adelaide we are only 20 minutes from my mother's house, and 15 minutes from local friends. Whenever we've needed help with anything, there's always been someone ready to lend a hand.

During our first few months my mother bought Mrs Stampede a brand new sewing machine as a "welcome to Australia" present, and taught her how to use it. Mrs Stampede learned quickly, and has now made (a) all the curtains for our lounge and her study, (b) two baby blankets, (c) several cushion covers, and (d) some dresses for Pup. Not bad for a woman who didn't know one end of a sewing machine from another before she left the UK!

Our friends and family have been very good to us. Some of the more practical gifts we've received this year have included a baby seat (for Pup) and a Moses basket (for the baby due in November).

Earlier in the year we had to make a choice between paying off our credit card and buying a car; we chose to pay off our credit card, and sadly waved goodbye to $7,500 (though we breathed a sigh of relief when it was done).

At the time we were borrowing my mother's '92 Nissan Pintara; she later traded it in for a '98 Mitsubishi Magna station wagon, which we are allowed to keep on permanent loan for as long as necessary. When I go back to uni next year we will need two cars, but fortunately a mate of mine has offered to give me a dual-fuel '94 Commodore wagon that he doesn't need any more.

My mother further astonished us today by announcing that she and her husband are buying us a 1.52kW grid-connected solar power system, to be installed in December. We'll still have to tighten our belts while I'm studying, but at least our electricity bills should start to come down a bit.

I'll wrap up with a few photos of the house, taken several weeks ago when it was looking vaguely respectable because I'd just mowed the lawn. Look at those long afternoon shadows! (Oops, just noticed I'd left the garage door up. That's the Mitsu's backside poking out).

It's been an interesting year. We're looking forward to the next one.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 27th 2010 at 3:12 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:22 pm
221b Baker Street

The hardest part about moving overseas is leaving your family and friends behind and arriving in a new place where you have to start all over again.

Our advantage is that I am Australian, so we had a ready-made support network waiting for us before we even left Heathrow. Adelaide was a "second home" for me even when I lived in Western Australia; I have lots of friends and extended family here, so it was no effort at all to pick up where I had left off.

When we lived in the UK, we were ~2.5 hours away from Mrs Stampede's parents (Devon <----> West Midlands) and only saw them occasionally (perhaps three times a year at most). But here in Adelaide we are only 20 minutes from my mother's house, and 15 minutes from local friends. Whenever we've needed help with anything, there's always been someone ready to lend a hand.

During our first few months my mother bought Mrs Stampede a brand new sewing machine as a "welcome to Australia" present, and taught her how to use it. Mrs Stampede learned quickly, and has now made (a) all the curtains for our lounge and her study, (b) two baby blankets, (c) several cushion covers, and (d) some dresses for Pup. Not bad for a woman who didn't know one end of a sewing machine from another before she left the UK!

Our friends and family have been very good to us. Some of the more practical gifts we've received this year have included a baby seat (for Pup) and a Moses basket (for the baby due in November).

Earlier in the year we had to make a choice between paying off our credit card and buying a car; we chose to pay off our credit card, and sadly waved goodbye to $7,500 (though we breathed a sigh of relief when it was done).

At the time we were borrowing my mother's '92 Nissan Pintara; she later traded it in for a '98 Mitsubishi Magna station wagon, which we are allowed to keep on permanent loan for as long as necessary. When I go back to uni next year we will need two cars, but fortunately a mate of mine has offered to give me a dual-fuel '94 Commodore wagon that he doesn't need any more.

My mother further astonished us today by announcing that she and her husband are buying us a 1.52kW grid-connected solar power system, to be installed in December. We'll still have to tighten our belts while I'm studying, but at least our electricity bills should start to come down a bit.

I'll wrap up with a few photos of the house, taken several weeks ago when it was looking vaguely respectable because I'd just mowed the lawn. Look at those long afternoon shadows! (Oops, just noticed I'd left the garage door up. That's the Mitsu's backside poking out).

http://sporkboy.smugmug.com/Other/Ho...90_MU4nj-L.jpg

http://sporkboy.smugmug.com/Other/Ho...21_4TKWd-L.jpg

http://sporkboy.smugmug.com/Other/Ho...22_fE6U3-L.jpg

http://sporkboy.smugmug.com/Other/Ho...98_vWHiz-L.jpg

It's been an interesting year. We're looking forward to the next one.

Wonderful update and pictures...looks like the garboes were due next day as well.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the 12 months
Fantastic update and pictures

Heres to the next 12 months goodluck with it all
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:09 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

For central heating I bought a 37Kw (very approx 100,000 btu) sealed system boiler (is outside under the back verandah, 7 radiators, all the piping and connections, thermostatic valves, room stat, absolutely all that was needed and it came to $6,000. Free delivery from melbourne to us 400 klms away.This runs on LPG and is a bit thirsty but on mains gas would be a doddle.

Pipe work (all double insulated) is under the house as we are on stumps, the modern pipework is a 5 layer composite flexible pipe, no pipe bender needed.

$6,000 may sound expensive but when you think of new wood heater, all the ducting etc etc, I think it is good value.

I used this lot

http://autoheet.com.au/

there is also http://www.melbournehydronic.com.au/

All the rads are modern, low capacity, slim type.

It's great for warm days and really cold nights
that's a really great price actually mate. I thought it would be a LOT more
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:12 am
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
that's a really great price actually mate. I thought it would be a LOT more
Surprised the hell out of me. Thought it would be squillions. It's all good quality gear as well.

Autoheet have an outlet in Brissie I think.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Oct 28th 2010 at 10:15 am.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:16 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

i think your updates are fantastic, your pictures awsome and I love your house, it's just lovely and has that *look* that feels like home mate
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:56 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: 12 months in Adelaide

Thanks guys.

Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:22 am

Surprised the hell out of me. Thought it would be squillions. It's all good quality gear as well.

Autoheet have an outlet in Brissie I think.
can't find it in Brissy mate, only Vic
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Your home and your family look lovely and despite your ups and downs you seem pretty contented.Well done for being happy with your lot and doing the best you can.Good luck with uni and your new numpty.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:32 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: 12 months in Adelaide

Thanks mate. I think the key to being satisfied with life is to expect very little from it!

Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:41 am

Thanks mate. I think the key to being satisfied with life is to expect very little from it!

and in my case it works on both counts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.