12 months in Adelaide

Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 12 months in Adelaide

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I have done the roof insulation. I have used secondary glazing and did it as we could afford it, one room at a time. We only use our heat pump on off peak and find it does just fine even when very cold.
I'll be interested to hear more about secondary glazing, because it's something I want to look into a few years down the track. How does it stack up against full double glazing? Is there much of a cost difference?

I also installed central heating. It can be done here! It took some digging though to find a company to supply it.
Crikey, I bet it wasn't cheap!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:53 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 months in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'll be interested to hear more about secondary glazing, because it's something I want to look into a few years down the track. How does it stack up against full double glazing? Is there much of a cost difference?

Crikey, I bet it wasn't cheap!
To save mucking up your thread too much, I'll PM you.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:55 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

To save mucking up your thread too much, I'll PM you.
noooooo I want to know about central heating and double glazing too
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

With a new baby on the way (due in November) it's time to renovate the kids' bedroom. We've made a start by ripping off the old wallpaper to reveal the horrors beneath:

The lady hamming it up for the camera is my mother.

Once all the wallpaper is gone, we'll be plastering and painting until it's fit for human habitation again.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:56 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
noooooo I want to know about central heating and double glazing too
okay then...lol...I'll get to it. Back soonish.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:02 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

With a new baby on the way (due in November) it's time to renovate the kids' bedroom. We've made a start by ripping off the old wallpaper to reveal the horrors beneath:

http://sporkboy.smugmug.com/Other/Re...34_Bs8gW-L.jpg

http://sporkboy.smugmug.com/Other/Re...72_i8eDq-L.jpg

http://sporkboy.smugmug.com/Other/Re...33_Dxzax-L.jpg

The lady hamming it up for the camera is my mother.

Once all the wallpaper is gone, we'll be plastering and painting until it's fit for human habitation again.
Vash, I think your updates are fantastic mate

And your mum looks FANTASTIC for her age

okay then...lol...I'll get to it. Back soonish.
good onya, that way everyone can benefit from it

Nice work Vash....I likey these kind of informative updates with piccies
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:04 pm
Fighting my corner

No update thread would be complete without Numpty Bub! She is 19 months old now. At some point last year I started calling her "Pup", so that's her new nickname these days.

Here she is in a dress that Mrs Stampede made for her recently:

Her vocabulary is growing fast, and currently consists of:
  • "Daddy"

• "Teddy"

• "What's this?"

• "What's that?"

• "Look"

• "Book"

• "Awwww..." (term of affection; often used when hugging Mummy, Daddy or Teddy)

• "Shoes"

• "Woof-woof" (dog)

• "Moooo" (cow)

• "Baaaaa" (sheep)

• "Mmmwow" (cat)

• "Aha!" (exclamation of triumph or discovery)

• "Oho!" (as above)

Had a funny moment in church last weekend. The congregation had just sat down after singing a hymn, and everyone was enjoying a moment of quiet reflection. Suddenly, from deep in the back rows, a little girl's voice rang out: "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Yes, that was our Pup, boldly brandishing her stuffed cow while we squirmed in our seats and tried to hush her discreetly.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 27th 2010 at 3:24 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:05 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash, I think your updates are fantastic mate

And your mum looks FANTASTIC for her age

Nice work Vash....I likey these kind of informative updates with piccies
Thanks mate.

My mother is 55, but I reckon she's doing alright. Her own mother was just the same; full of life, and always keeping busy. It's the only way to grow old gracefully, I reckon!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:10 pm
221b Baker Street

good onya, that way everyone can benefit from it
I have bored everyone to death with it before...but...I'll do the secondary glazing first.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:11 pm
221b Baker Street

If you look at the window in post 19..that would be about $1,000 to replace with decent double glazing.

You have a choice with sash windows, you can either put one secondary glazing unit over the whole thing and take it off in summer, or you can attach the lower pane on the inside and upper pane on the outside.

Snag one, I had to get the channeling and clips from England. Then I got the local glazing company to cut and supply the glass. However, if you google secondary glazing there are now some replies from Australia. Glass would be about $240.00 for that window at 4mm toughened.

http://www.diyplas.co.uk/double_glaz...insulation.asp

They sell just the surround and the clips and it can be sent by post. Apparantly acrylic has better thermal values but it scratches and gets static build up.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Oct 27th 2010 at 2:29 pm. Reason: the window sizes changed on me!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:11 pm

Thanks mate.

My mother is 55, but I reckon she's doing alright. Her own mother was just the same; full of life, and always keeping busy. It's the only way to grow old gracefully, I reckon!
The pup is gorgeous her dress is fab and her beautiful eyes, bless

And your mum is doing really well. I reckon with pup and mum, it's in the genes

Good luck with bub #2 mate, back to sleepless nights huh
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:15 pm

If you look at the window in post 19...
window.....post #19
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:22 pm
221b Baker Street

window.....post #19
It was there, second picture down, now its gorn I swear lol, you can just see the bottome of it lower down. Typical shash window about 5ft x 3ft.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: 12 months in Adelaide

window.....post #19
Removed that photo because it was an awkward size.

Here's a better shot:

That's about half the frame. It's a double-width double-sash.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 27th 2010 at 2:25 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:25 pm
221b Baker Street

For central heating I bought a 37Kw (very approx 100,000 btu) sealed system boiler (is outside under the back verandah, 7 radiators, all the piping and connections, thermostatic valves, room stat, absolutely all that was needed and it came to $6,000. Free delivery from melbourne to us 400 klms away.This runs on LPG and is a bit thirsty but on mains gas would be a doddle.

Pipe work (all double insulated) is under the house as we are on stumps, the modern pipework is a 5 layer composite flexible pipe, no pipe bender needed.

$6,000 may sound expensive but when you think of new wood heater, all the ducting etc etc, I think it is good value.

I used this lot

http://autoheet.com.au/

there is also http://www.melbournehydronic.com.au/

All the rads are modern, low capacity, slim type.

It's great for warm days and really cold nights

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Oct 27th 2010 at 2:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.