Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Well thank god I don't live anywhere near that area!I'm heading back to Adelaide (holiday to see rellies)in May so will take some similar pics because worldwide there are scenes of that nature.(Will post them on here when I return)
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:25 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Martin, and others, for an entertaining read, with a few exceptions.

Regardless of the detail in the various posts, some people settle in more quickly than others after moving countries while yet others have the ability and wherewithal to say I've made a mistake, accept the financial and time loss, and move back.

Yet others move back to the UK for a couple of years and then decide that they really do prefer to live in Australia. (And that I've seen very frequently.)

People are different, their expectations are different; even the places they move to in Australia are very different.

I left the UK 40 years ago and since then have lived significant amounts of time in Singapore, Sydney and (mostly) Melbourne.

Price comparisons are meaningless, especially with, I think someone said fresh fruit and vegetables. If Martin was living in Mosman in Sydney his local greengrocer's prices would have been probably twice that of many other Sydney suburbs and three times those of Brunswick in Melbourne.

For business purposes I spend a lot of time travelling, mostly around Asia but also Europe and the USA, with my last European trip a couple of months ago. The cost of living in Europe (I was in France, Italy and Switzerland) and the UK is roughly double that of Australia.

A friend of mine is a doctor who moved to Australia relatively recently. As he told me, his standard of living has increased fourfold as his cost of living is half what it was and his income has doubled.

As an aside, like Martin I also feel very much at home in Germany, especially Bavaria, even though I don't speak a word of German.

For me, I feel most at home in Melbourne, but also acknowledge that there are parts of Melbourne where I would not wish to live.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
For business purposes I spend a lot of time travelling, mostly around Asia but also Europe and the USA, with my last European trip a couple of months ago. The cost of living in Europe (I was in France, Italy and Switzerland) and the UK is roughly double that of Australia.

A friend of mine is a doctor who moved to Australia relatively recently. As he told me, his standard of living has increased fourfold as his cost of living is half what it was and his income has doubled.
I think posts like these are very very dangerous for new would-be immigrants.

A lot of people believe the widely held myth that Australia is "cheaper than England".

I live in a nice suburb of Melbourne. I used to live in a nice suburb of London. I earn EXACTLY the same as I did in London, if the rate of $2.5 : £1 is considered, which is the rate when I arrived. I have a similar lifestyle with regards to expenses.

Yet I have LESS disposable income here in Melbourne than I had in London.

My quality of life is without question far higher here.

To make statements about Australia being half the price of England is just rubbish, and I would controversially suggest you are "talking up the market" as your business is bringing new immigrants to Australia. Some things here are cheaper, some are more expensive. However overall, as indicated above, we find we have less spare cash in almost identical circumstances. I am not complaining about this fact at all, but I am concerned about people believing what you say and making their own financial plans based on your inaccurate information.

Buzzy
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I would argue the fact the UK is roughly double to Oz?Not where we live it is'nt!I speak to family in Oz (I've lived there myself for 30 yrs)and regularly look at supermarket websites (Oz)and it looks bloody expensive compared to what I pay!Second hand cars are expensive in Oz,o/s travel in Oz is very expensive?What Martin are you referrring to exactly thats double the price in the UK?hhhhhhmmmm?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:21 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy, you've partially quoted Les but ignored the part where he said price comparisons are meaningless.

I read it more as, it really depends on your circumstances, where you live, where you came from, etc., which is spot on although not rocket science.

I'm close to and in a similar situation to the Mosman he mentioned and I'm still reeling at paying $13 for a plate of noodles that would cost me $3 where I've been living I'm paying similarly shocking prices for good veg but I'm paying less for meat - shame I don't eat much of that.

I'm still happier here.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Originally Posted by Seasider
Buzzy, you've partially quoted Les but ignored the part where he said price comparisons are meaningless.
Yes I couldn't work out why he said that and then went on to talk about Australia being cheaper.

Price comparisons are meaningless because you can't do anything about prices once you have moved somewhere.

However when planning your emigration it is important to understand whether you will be able to live financially in the way you are accustomed to in your home country, or better, or worse. Anyone who based their planning on statements saying Australia is half the price of the UK might come here and go very quickly bankrupt, which would be very unfair on them.

In my experience which is very valid as I have such a similar life financially to that which I had in the UK, the overall monthly/weekly/annual bills are slightly higher in Australia, and as a result I have less disposable income now than in the UK.

Buzzy
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:23 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

But are you ok with that - that's what's important.

We have a lot less than we had in Singapore due to the tax differential, but we knew that and were prepared to take the hit. I see my husband more than one week a month, and he now has time (sort of!) to pursue the masters he's been wanting to do for years.

As you say, you need to do lots of research, believe a fraction of what you read and make up your own mind if it's the right move for you personally.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
But are you ok with that - that's what's important.

We have a lot less than we had in Singapore due to the tax differential, but we knew that and were prepared to take the hit. I see my husband more than one week a month, and he now has time (sort of!) to pursue the masters he's been wanting to do for years.

As you say, you need to do lots of research, believe a fraction of what you read and make up your own mind if it's the right move for you personally.
Nice to see you again hows the dental treatment going
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:47 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by eugene43
Nice to see you again hows the dental treatment going
Can't afford any since we moved to Sydney.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:16 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes I couldn't work out why he said that and then went on to talk about Australia being cheaper.

Price comparisons are meaningless because you can't do anything about prices once you have moved somewhere.

However when planning your emigration it is important to understand whether you will be able to live financially in the way you are accustomed to in your home country, or better, or worse. Anyone who based their planning on statements saying Australia is half the price of the UK might come here and go very quickly bankrupt, which would be very unfair on them.

In my experience which is very valid as I have such a similar life financially to that which I had in the UK, the overall monthly/weekly/annual bills are slightly higher in Australia, and as a result I have less disposable income now than in the UK.

Buzzy
I find my overall cost of living cheaper in Oz, but by so small a margin it is insignificant. Uk twice the price of Oz is complete and utter nonsense, regardless of circumstances
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I find my overall cost of living cheaper in Oz, but by so small a margin it is insignificant. Uk twice the price of Oz is complete and utter nonsense, regardless of circumstances

I agree with this, I am on exactly the same wage as I as in the UK and so is OH.

I think it is such a small difference that it's not really noticeable.

New people beware, once you GBP has gone, you won't find it so cheap. I still can't belive that some people reckon it is cheaper.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LayaboutSi
I am a little confused -
Food prices have also gone up, and fuel prices will surge further now we have nearly exhausted all our natural resources. We have lost a huge portion of our farming because our non-monopolised supermarkets have driven the price down so far, the farmers cannot survive.

Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:32 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Hi Buzzy,

At the end of the day, isn't

My quality of life is without question far higher here.
the main reason for moving here?

Les
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
Hi Buzzy,

At the end of the day, isn't

the main reason for moving here?

Les
Not necessarily
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not necessarily
Do you have a detector for these posts G?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.