Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:11 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Originally Posted by kevin747
True, In spite of all the things I don't like and have a rant about there are things and people who I'll really miss.I'm having a good time here because I know I'm leaving

It was one of my ambitions since I was a kid to live here and I've achieved it.It would be worse had I never tried it and I do realise that many are trapped or too unwilling to have the upheavel of going back.
Also I know people who prefer it here.
Where in Scotland are you from?
3rd'd (I think), we too left the door open to return if we ever decided to and we've never had any regrets about moving here, and nor will we when we do move back to England.

Life here in some ways is a Catch 22, and in others there are no wrong or right answers. What we do in life is our decision alone as the moves we make were ours by choice.

To the OP, good post and good luck with your future life.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LayaboutSi
I am a little confused - Jan 07 to Nov 08 as written? Or Jan 08 to Nov 08 as per 11 months? If the former, you have a big wake up call waiting for you when you get back to the UK.

Unfortunately, we have had a bit of housing boom and many of the properties created are also of cheap and poor quality. Needless to say, you are moving back at a good time to buy one of these new homes - if you are able to find the 40% deposit needed to get a good mortgage.

Crime has got worse - only now you cannot do anything about it because you will either get attacked or banged up. We don't have insects running around killing people; we have groups of kids instead. And who knows where crime will go over the next few months as unemployment explodes out of control.

British roads are brilliant. I can park my car for free on any of the motorways at any time. And as 50mph is the new 70 on all major routes, I can enjoy an extra 30 minutes on top of my 180 minute daily commute to admire the grey and miserable skyline and all the glum faces around me.

Food prices have also gone up, and fuel prices will surge further now we have nearly exhausted all our natural resources. We have lost a huge portion of our farming because our non-monopolised supermarkets have driven the price down so far, the farmers cannot survive. We now eat gristle instead of beef and have to import milk from other countries!

Oh yeh, and its full of Brits. And Aussies and Kiwis and representatives of pretty much every other country on earth. That is the world we live in today. Thankfully, we do live in a multicultural society - otherwise I would have to deal with the bad manners and laziness of many of the Brits all the time.

Welcome Home

At least you had the opportunity to give the grass on the other side a chance - it just wasn't to your taste. It's good to have another whinging pom amongst us to put the world to rights.

Brilliant post!!! I can't wait to not have to cross the road whever I see school children - they scare the sh*t out of me here in London!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LayaboutSi
I am a little confused - Jan 07 to Nov 08 as written? Or Jan 08 to Nov 08 as per 11 months? If the former, you have a big wake up call waiting for you when you get back to the UK.

Unfortunately, we have had a bit of housing boom and many of the properties created are also of cheap and poor quality. Needless to say, you are moving back at a good time to buy one of these new homes - if you are able to find the 40% deposit needed to get a good mortgage.

Crime has got worse - only now you cannot do anything about it because you will either get attacked or banged up. We don't have insects running around killing people; we have groups of kids instead. And who knows where crime will go over the next few months as unemployment explodes out of control.

British roads are brilliant. I can park my car for free on any of the motorways at any time. And as 50mph is the new 70 on all major routes, I can enjoy an extra 30 minutes on top of my 180 minute daily commute to admire the grey and miserable skyline and all the glum faces around me.

Food prices have also gone up, and fuel prices will surge further now we have nearly exhausted all our natural resources. We have lost a huge portion of our farming because our non-monopolised supermarkets have driven the price down so far, the farmers cannot survive. We now eat gristle instead of beef and have to import milk from other countries!

Oh yeh, and its full of Brits. And Aussies and Kiwis and representatives of pretty much every other country on earth. That is the world we live in today. Thankfully, we do live in a multicultural society - otherwise I would have to deal with the bad manners and laziness of many of the Brits all the time.

Welcome Home

At least you had the opportunity to give the grass on the other side a chance - it just wasn't to your taste. It's good to have another whinging pom amongst us to put the world to rights.
Thank you, a quote back at someone who feels the need to depress the droves that search a little bit of sunshine...nothing else.

The OP could always create their own website...NotWantedDownUnderInAPlaceInTheSunDownUn der.Com

Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

ducko is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm an Australian living in the UK & must say I've been intrigued by this conversation. I think that once you get over home-sickness you know whether you want to stay or not (some know immediately). I love it here but will never stay. There's too much about home that I miss. Funnily enough, some of the things you hate about Australia, I love (I miss the spiders & insects (they're not bugs)) I must say I was amused most by your Point 9 about expensive groceries. I don't know where you shop in Australia, but if you have found more expensive fresh food prices than the UK you must have walked into Tiffanies or Versace by mistake

Good luck for the future
Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Originally Posted by ducko
I must say I was amused most by your Point 9 about expensive groceries. I don't know where you shop in Australia, but if you have found more expensive fresh food prices than the UK you must have walked into Tiffanies or Versace by mistake
I don't know how long you have been away from Australia, but I suspect you may be in for a shock in this regard when you return......

Buzzy
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
First of all - best of luck back in Europe. Are you heading back to Germany or somewhere else?

Agree to disagree with several of your points, but have to totally agree with you about the team-naming thing - drives me nuts. It can't be the Australian Womens Netball team - or dear me no - it has to be the ****ing 'Opals'. If they had a team in the special olypmics they'd probably call them the 'Deacons'.

Agree about the NSW state government too - what a collection of useless cluster-****s. I wouldn't trust 'em to run a parish council, let alone the most populace state in Australia.

Anyway - happy onward travels.
Could'nt agree with the OP more actually.Its all true I'm afraid.Good and bad in each country I know,but if you are leaving the UK to escape crap weather,drugs,stabbings and crime in general,immigrants,crap goverments,bad education,drunken yobs or yobs in general,rubbish drivers,expensive utility bills the list goes on then you are going to be very disappointed!!!Yes the sun shines stronger in Oz,but unless you're a masochists and want skin cancer then you'll be wise to stay out of it!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

ducko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I don't know how long you have been away from Australia, but I suspect you may be in for a shock in this regard when you return......

Buzzy
I was home for Christmas, and I was mainly talking about fresh food. It is true that some grocery items are cheaper in the UK eg Chocolate (which probably explains British teeth)
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:29 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

You made one fatal mistake, you decided on Sydney. Half the Sydneysiders are looking to move elsewhere. Not a good choice
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

londonmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinH

So what are the things that are driving us away? Well here goes (you may choose to disagree but these are my own personal thoughts).

1..... 10
Ok, very, very quickly I see the problem here. You're confusing Sydney (and possibly only a small area of Sydney) with Australia. Almost none of the ten things you list apply to my life here in Melbourne (actually, I've just read it again - NONE of the ten things apply). I think it's very unfair, and verging on scaremongering to keep referring to Australia as a whole, when your experiences seem to have taken place in a very small part of that whole and over a reasonably short period of time.

It's kind of like an Aussie moving back home after time spent in Liverpool, and complaining about how the English worship The Beatles, all have perms and moustaches and nick the wheels off your car. (I'm joking!)
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:33 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

You made fatal errors which you probably don't understand and a little more proper research would have worked wonders. But british people in general make the same mistakes over and over and i se it on every ex pat forum..
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprintman
You made fatal errors which you probably don't understand and a little more proper research would have worked wonders. But british people in general make the same mistakes over and over and i se it on every ex pat forum..
Why is it a fatal error? They came, they tried it, it didn't work for them, so they've gone home.
Happens to migrants all over the world, not just Brits. I bet there are a fair few Aussies who have moved back having realised that the country they migrated to just wasn't right for them. No amount of research can make you "fit" int o a country where you just don't feel right.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:43 am
Banned

Jumped in boots and all didn't you without understanding the post or it's point. Your not very bright are you?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprintman
Jumped in boots and all didn't you without understanding the post or it's point. Your not very bright are you?
No, as my husband tells me frequently, I'm not. No doubt if I was brighter I'd think Australia was paradise, as it is, being thick I just think its a country that doesn't work for everyone.
Hadrdly a fatal error though, discovering that for some of us it didn't work.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, as my husband tells me frequently, I'm not. No doubt if I was brighter I'd think Australia was paradise, as it is, being thick I just think its a country that doesn't work for everyone.
Hadrdly a fatal error though, discovering that for some of us it didn't work.
Having read Pollyana's posts for several years, I can assure you she is brighter and more thoughtful than you can possibly imagine.

Assume there is a descriptive adjective to describe what I think of the insulting post here.....
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:56 am
Banned

Your thicker than mud. Re read my post and see if you can get your dumb head around it, I doubt it. A clue, stop thinking Australia in general as it's a massive country with a massive diversity and start thinking location. Now I've given you the clue work it out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.