Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Old Dec 8th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default 11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

You would have to say that when I wrote a post back on 22nd September 2005 about the reasons why we decided not to move to Australia
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327415
Little did I realise what was to unravel over the next three years that brings us to today.

Having dialled ourselves back into our lives, things went very quiet for a couple of years. The children went to school and we moved into a new house. But the thoughts about moving to Australia hadn’t really left me.

Two things I should have done point were:

a. Go back and read the note that I wrote in 2005: and
b. Go back and read it again.

Here is the first piece of advice I will give anyone moving to Australia. Make a list. In fact make two lists:

List One: Things that are good about my life at the moment (and things I will REALLY miss when I no longer have them).

List Two: Things I expect Australia will give me (don’t be vague by listing things such as “a better life for my children”) try and be specific as possible.
Next step is simple.

Put the list side by side and if list two is not significantly longer than list one, don’t commit to a move.

There is one exception to the rule. If you have more money than sense then make the move anyway because it’s easy to go back if things don’t work out.

Back to the story.

Wanting to live in Australia never really went away but unfortunately, although I had pretty much completed List One (in that famous mail) I have never completed List Two (of course when I was asked I would loudly proclaim a desire for a chilled lifestyle – whatever that is – and warm sunny days lazing by the beach). Anyway, much internal discussion in the family and lots of disagreement and two years after having planned to move we were again planning.

After a short trip to Sydney in October 2007 we confirmed all our arrangements and on 31 January 2007 we arrived in Sydney. Although we settled in very quickly (you can read my update on here), I / we have quickly come to the conclusion that Australia is not for us and on 24th November 2008 I boarded a plane out of Australia (most probably) never to return. My family have dealt with all the other things (including selling the house) and are now also on their way.

So what are the things that are driving us away? Well here goes (you may choose to disagree but these are my own personal thoughts).

1. Australia is not a subtle country. While it has its fair selection of expensive this and expensive that, it is all largely a façade. Australia is like Ratners shiny & sparkly, but once you scrape the surface a little there is no depth and its all a bit tat.

2. It’s full of Brits. When will Brits ever get over the fact that replica football shirts are NOT a positive fashion statement?

3. Australians can’t build houses. For the amount of money you need to spend on a house, it might be reasonable to expect that it does some basic house like things …….like keep warm. Australian houses do not do this because they seem to be under the mistaken belief that Australia is a hot country. It isn’t. Especially not in the middle of winter when temperatures fall to 2-3 deg. overnight. Don’t throw your winter warmers away.

4. Australian roads are terrible (but the driving is worse). Driving in England is bad but Australians are coming close as regards road rage and generally poor standards (here’s a thought when you are in a lane why not stay there for a while rather than swerving this way and that to gain 10 metres, causing irritation to everyone else on the road). But the best bit is the religious policing and especially the double demerits during holidays. If you enjoy your driving, Australia is not the place for you.

5. Australia is a long way from anywhere. Obvious I know however until you are here you don’t really get the right feel for it.

6. Australia is crowded. How ridiculous is that statement? Well, it’s true. If you live in one of the major cities, your morning commute to work will be just as bad as any other big city in the world. In addition (and I can only comment on Sydney), the public transport is average at best. And it’s not always air-conditioned.

7. Bugs. Big ones. Ones that make a hell of a splat when you squish them. I wouldn’t over emphasise this because you won’t see them every day but you will need to get used to big bugs. Nothing like a huntsman in your car to give your heart a kick start first thing in the morning.

8. Sport. You can buy yourself a foxtel IQ box to record the footy on a Saturday but it’s not the same as watching it live. I (personally) don’t like the rugby, cricket or Aussie rules (you might) but personally I want to be in the European time-zone. Oh and here another thing – can the Aussies please get over giving EVERY team a nickname (Wallabies, Kookaburra’s, Kangaroo’s – I could go on)

9. Food prices. Expensive. Especially fresh produce. That is the consequence of the monopoly that is Coles and Woolworths.

10. Politics. Kevin Rudd seems like a decent enough chap but can you believe the shambles that is the NSW government? Here is a government which has been relying on ever increasing house prices for funding (through stamp duty). Now how the hell is that consistent with anything approaching social responsibility?

There are other issues but those are the main ones.

So you will get the feeling that I don’t like Australia – I don’t. If you are happy just to enjoy the beaches then good on you, you are coming to the right place.

I am glad I came, no seriously I am. Because if I hadn’t I would have spent years and years annoying the family. It’s been an expensive learning exercise but I am so glad to be away.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Good luck with your move back home, I hope everything falls nicely into place for you!

As for your list of things - you wont get any disagreement from me except perhaps about Kevin Rudd and I dont think he is a nice man at all, in fact I am sure he isnt!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

To be perfectly honest none of your points puts me off wanting to move to Oz. Everything you mention is exactly the same here in the UK apart from the bugs, bad driving, terrible NEW housing, ever increasing groceries,hideous public transport etc..

The real plus you mention is no bloody footbal i cant stand the game, now Rugby League/Union Aussie Rules Cricket all fantastic games and cant wait to sample them.

On your analogy with Ratners can i suggest an alternative for THE UK how about Woolworths (Bankrupt, but everyone has fond memories of how good it was)

Really good read though and thanks for an alternative view.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

LayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant future

I am a little confused - Jan 07 to Nov 08 as written? Or Jan 08 to Nov 08 as per 11 months? If the former, you have a big wake up call waiting for you when you get back to the UK.

Unfortunately, we have had a bit of housing boom and many of the properties created are also of cheap and poor quality. Needless to say, you are moving back at a good time to buy one of these new homes - if you are able to find the 40% deposit needed to get a good mortgage.

Crime has got worse - only now you cannot do anything about it because you will either get attacked or banged up. We don't have insects running around killing people; we have groups of kids instead. And who knows where crime will go over the next few months as unemployment explodes out of control.

British roads are brilliant. I can park my car for free on any of the motorways at any time. And as 50mph is the new 70 on all major routes, I can enjoy an extra 30 minutes on top of my 180 minute daily commute to admire the grey and miserable skyline and all the glum faces around me.

Food prices have also gone up, and fuel prices will surge further now we have nearly exhausted all our natural resources. We have lost a huge portion of our farming because our non-monopolised supermarkets have driven the price down so far, the farmers cannot survive. We now eat gristle instead of beef and have to import milk from other countries!

Oh yeh, and its full of Brits. And Aussies and Kiwis and representatives of pretty much every other country on earth. That is the world we live in today. Thankfully, we do live in a multicultural society - otherwise I would have to deal with the bad manners and laziness of many of the Brits all the time.

Welcome Home

At least you had the opportunity to give the grass on the other side a chance - it just wasn't to your taste. It's good to have another whinging pom amongst us to put the world to rights.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Oops - sorry I got my dates wrong - it is actually January 2008 to November 2008.

Other thing is when I say "returning" I am definitely NOT returning to the UK (). I left the UK for the first time in 1999 and have not lived there since - rather I have returned to continental Europe - where despite its own foibles we were much happier (on reflection!).

Isn't hindsight a beautiful thing?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
You would have to say that when I wrote a post back on 22nd September 2005 about the reasons why we decided not to move to Australia
Little did I realise what was to unravel over the next three years that brings us to today.

Having dialled ourselves back into our lives, things went very quiet for a couple of years. The children went to school and we moved into a new house. But the thoughts about moving to Australia hadn’t really left me.

Here is the first piece of advice I will give anyone moving to Australia. Make a list. In fact make two lists:

List One: Things that are good about my life at the moment (and things I will REALLY miss when I no longer have them).

List Two: Things I expect Australia will give me (don’t be vague by listing things such as “a better life for my children”) try and be specific as possible.
Next step is simple.

Put the list side by side and if list two is not significantly longer than list one, don’t commit to a move.

There is one exception to the rule. If you have more money than sense then make the move anyway because it’s easy to go back if things don’t work out.

Back to the story.

Wanting to live in Australia never really went away but unfortunately, although I had pretty much completed List One (in that famous mail) I have never completed List Two (of course when I was asked I would loudly proclaim a desire for a chilled lifestyle – whatever that is – and warm sunny days lazing by the beach). Anyway, much internal discussion in the family and lots of disagreement and two years after having planned to move we were again planning.

After a short trip to Sydney in October 2007 we confirmed all our arrangements and on 31 January 2007 we arrived in Sydney. Although we settled in very quickly (you can read my update on here), I / we have quickly come to the conclusion that Australia is not for us and on 24th November 2008 I boarded a plane out of Australia (most probably) never to return. My family have dealt with all the other things (including selling the house) and are now also on their way.

So what are the things that are driving us away? Well here goes (you may choose to disagree but these are my own personal thoughts).

1. Australia is not a subtle country. While it has its fair selection of expensive this and expensive that, it is all largely a façade. Australia is like Ratners shiny & sparkly, but once you scrape the surface a little there is no depth and its all a bit tat.

2. It’s full of Brits. When will Brits ever get over the fact that replica football shirts are NOT a positive fashion statement?

3. Australians can’t build houses. For the amount of money you need to spend on a house, it might be reasonable to expect that it does some basic house like things …….like keep warm. Australian houses do not do this because they seem to be under the mistaken belief that Australia is a hot country. It isn’t. Especially not in the middle of winter when temperatures fall to 2-3 deg. overnight. Don’t throw your winter warmers away.

4. Australian roads are terrible (but the driving is worse). Driving in England is bad but Australians are coming close as regards road rage and generally poor standards (here’s a thought when you are in a lane why not stay there for a while rather than swerving this way and that to gain 10 metres, causing irritation to everyone else on the road). But the best bit is the religious policing and especially the double demerits during holidays. If you enjoy your driving, Australia is not the place for you.

5. Australia is a long way from anywhere. Obvious I know however until you are here you don’t really get the right feel for it.

6. Australia is crowded. How ridiculous is that statement? Well, it’s true. If you live in one of the major cities, your morning commute to work will be just as bad as any other big city in the world. In addition (and I can only comment on Sydney), the public transport is average at best. And it’s not always air-conditioned.

7. Bugs. Big ones. Ones that make a hell of a splat when you squish them. I wouldn’t over emphasise this because you won’t see them every day but you will need to get used to big bugs. Nothing like a huntsman in your car to give your heart a kick start first thing in the morning.

8. Sport. You can buy yourself a foxtel IQ box to record the footy on a Saturday but it’s not the same as watching it live. I (personally) don’t like the rugby, cricket or Aussie rules (you might) but personally I want to be in the European time-zone. Oh and here another thing – can the Aussies please get over giving EVERY team a nickname (Wallabies, Kookaburra’s, Kangaroo’s – I could go on)

9. Food prices. Expensive. Especially fresh produce. That is the consequence of the monopoly that is Coles and Woolworths.

10. Politics. Kevin Rudd seems like a decent enough chap but can you believe the shambles that is the NSW government? Here is a government which has been relying on ever increasing house prices for funding (through stamp duty). Now how the hell is that consistent with anything approaching social responsibility?

So you will get the feeling that I don’t like Australia – I don’t. If you are happy just to enjoy the beaches then good on you, you are coming to the right place.

I am glad I came, no seriously I am. Because if I hadn’t I would have spent years and years annoying the family. It’s been an expensive learning exercise but I am so glad to be away.
To be honest, I dont think half of your reasons are valid reasons to not live somewhere. I've came from ireland where the driving is also bad but the roads are bad enough to ruin your car. Ozzie roads are nowhere near as bad as Irish ones. The drivers over here are perhaps a little worse though lol but i think thats down to the maniacs and not the (even more annoying) slow drivers.

(Hey did you ever realise that people that drive faster than you are lunatics but anyone driving slower than you is just a tosser?)

The quality of many things can be poorer than what we are used to, but thats a two way street. Fruit is far nicer here, you can find just as good clothes (if a little dearer). Actualy, i've always had trouble buying clothes in ireland that i really like. over here, I think i could spend all my money in a long saturday lol.

Go into a shop in Sydney and tell me if you'd get the same level of customer service from a random shop in the UK. I doubt you would. I've been to Orlando where they make you feel like royalty even though you know its fake. Here, it feels very genuine. They got that nailed.

The footie, yes, its a nightmare. But, was I going to base my future on whether I could follow the football live? If i did I'd be seriously holding myself back.

Australia is full of brits? So is europe. Why is that such a bad thing? The nicest people I've met over here are brits.

You take any house built in the UK and plank it in australia and you've got either a boiler room or the exact same standard as over here. My plan is to build my own house to me own spec some time in the future. I'm not even going to consider moving back home until I've done all I can in that respect.

Bugs, yes there is bugs. If they freak you out then you are probably right to leave (unless you want to get counselling or something).

Kevin Rudd is a politician I'm really not sure about. he seems like a guy who'll do anything for a good rating. handing out money to boost his image. Maybe i'm being harsh. But, who's going to pay for that handout? me, when I get a job (lol). In my opinion, he's not a good PM. Making that formal apology to the aboriginis was commendable but i cant help but feel it was another tactic for keeping the public admiring him. Jury is out on him.

No government across europe is flawless. In fact, name me one that hasnt made stupid mistakes in the past? they've all done it.

I think australia has some small problems but none that will make me get up and leave (just yet). They have been very welcoming to me.

Sorry about the long reply. Hope you're next move suits you well.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

Next step is simple.

Back to the story.

I think this is a really great post - not so much your reasons for leaving list which is personal to you - but the advice you give about weighing up the decisions. We have been here 18 months and despite my best efforts ( joining in - making freinds - living the ozzie life) I miss something terribly - maybe its just belonging or maybe its the intellenct and humour that I used to encounter on a daily basis which is lacking here - aussies are funny but not necessarily witty. The contrast between regional australia and city australia is huge there's not much in between - in the cities you may as well be in any city - high prices, crime - no time to go to the beach. In the regions planty of time to go to the beach, low crime - but not much else happening - where are all the people? My dilemma is that I wrenched the kids away - now they are settled and having a great time how can I wrench them again - are we trapped - have some notion of going back for 8 weeks per year and working ( contracts) to give us the best of both - could be a nonsense and grasping at straws?? Good luck and keep us posted as to the next phase.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:03 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[.[/QUOTE]

Some valid points there for newbies to note.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

LayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant future

I left the UK for the first time in 1999 and have not lived there since - rather I have returned to continental Europe - where despite its own foibles we were much happier (on reflection!).
Now that is something I can approve on.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
(Hey did you ever realise that people that drive faster than you are lunatics but anyone driving slower than you is just a tosser?).
Thats pretty funny and so true!

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Australia is full of brits? So is europe. Why is that such a bad thing? The nicest people I've met over here are brits.
I think it depends where you go - in Spain maybe yes but in the rest of Europe definitely not. I think there are something like 1.8 million Brits in Australia (out of a population of 21 million) compared to 100,000 in Germany (out of a population of 80 million)
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fific
I think this is a really great post - not so much your reasons for leaving list which is personal to you - but the advice you give about weighing up the decisions. We have been here 18 months and despite my best efforts ( joining in - making freinds - living the ozzie life) I miss something terribly - maybe its just belonging or maybe its the intellenct and humour that I used to encounter on a daily basis which is lacking here - aussies are funny but not necessarily witty. My dilemma is that I wrenched the kids away - now they are settled and having a great time how can I wrench them again - are we trapped - have some notion of going back for 8 weeks per year and working ( contracts) to give us the best of both - could be a nonsense and grasping at straws?? Good luck and keep us posted as to the next phase.
For us despite all my comments above it was ALL about that feeling of belonging - and we just didn't - but we didn't know that until we left the place where we were (if that makes sense)! We have arrived back in Germany in the middle of winter and feel completely at home again!

The only thing I would say about your dilemma is that you can't live your life for your children. They can make their own choices later on - you have to make your choices now for you.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:45 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least you tried it Martin, and now you know. Regret the things you did rather than the things you didn't.

Best of luck to you back in Europe.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Next step is simple.

Back to the story.

Well said and good luck
Old Dec 11th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

[QUOTE=MartinH;7053404]For us despite all my comments above it was ALL about that feeling of belonging - and we just didn't - but we didn't know that until we left the place where we were (if that makes sense)! We have arrived back in Germany in the middle of winter and feel completely at home again!

It all comes down to this: A feeling of belonging and fitting in. I always felt like a stranger in Germany, and I am a native! Every time I go there on holiday
I know I couldn't go back to live there.
Its hard to pinpoint what makes some people settle in one place, and not in another, or even why some people settle at all. Personally sharing the same sense of humour is very important, definitely not to be underrated! In my own experience even meeting a couple of people on the same wavelength can go a long way to making you feel at home.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

First of all - best of luck back in Europe. Are you heading back to Germany or somewhere else?

Agree to disagree with several of your points, but have to totally agree with you about the team-naming thing - drives me nuts. It can't be the Australian Womens Netball team - or dear me no - it has to be the ****ing 'Opals'. If they had a team in the special olypmics they'd probably call them the 'Deacons'.

Agree about the NSW state government too - what a collection of useless cluster-****s. I wouldn't trust 'em to run a parish council, let alone the most populace state in Australia.

Anyway - happy onward travels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.