Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

1 month on Central Coast NSW

1 month on Central Coast NSW

Old Sep 19th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default 1 month on Central Coast NSW

We've been here 1 month on the Central Coast of NSW - about 90 km north of Sydney.

It's been kind of a bumpy ride so far. On the positive side: We are mostly settled in a rental house. The children are in school and enjoying it. I've been interviewing preschools for our 3 year old.

The bumps have come in with the 2 of the children going to school for 2 days, then home ill for 4 days. The illness was then passed onto preschooler. Finally I had it this week. Hopefully we're done with that.

Another major bump is OH still looking for work (Java Developer with 10 year experience) in Sydney. He had 2 client interviews last week. The headhunters seem to be wasting his time with projects that haven't been approved yet. Hopefully he'll find an opportunity soon!

Otherwise, life is great here. We are loving where we live.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 month on Central Coast NSW

Just to say hope your husband gets a job soon

Glad you are enjoying it so far
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Just to say hope your husband gets a job soon

Glad you are enjoying it so far
thanks Lindzi!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Great Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Welcome to Oz!! We've been here almost 9 months now. Had our first 6 weeks on the Central Coast at The Entrance, which was beautiful. We then moved down to Baulkham Hills to be nearer to the city for work (I'm also in IT). But, after 8 months in the Hills, we long for the peace, tranquility and space of the Central Coast. We also think there's a bit more of a 'community spirit' up there. So, in just 3 weeks time we're moving up to Woy Woy. Can't wait, although not looking forward to the commute - but I think the lifestyle offered on the Central Coast will be more than worth it.

Let me know if you and yours would like to meet up in a few weeks time for a cuppa (or something stronger!!) and we can organise something.

Cheers,
Alison & Gary.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:39 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you! There have been a lot of positive posts like this recently which is nice to see.

Do you need to change your location in your BE profile now?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alison & Gary -

We know the charm and fab lifestyle of the Central Coast. We lived here for 7 months in 2009. OH made the commute daily from the Woy Woy station. We did a 13 month return to USA. When we discussed where to live, I suggested somewhere closer to the city - but OH wanted the lifestyle that comes with living here.

I'd love to meet up. Have a good move!

Catherine
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

alistairboyle -

Thanks....made the change!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:51 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

How did you get on with the cars, did they start ok?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simnmax
How did you get on with the cars, did they start ok?
They did start OK, thanks, Sim.

They are both rego'd and all is good!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Great Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tiger222
Alison & Gary -

We know the charm and fab lifestyle of the Central Coast. We lived here for 7 months in 2009. OH made the commute daily from the Woy Woy station. We did a 13 month return to USA. When we discussed where to live, I suggested somewhere closer to the city - but OH wanted the lifestyle that comes with living here.

Catherine
I'll post another note or send a personal message (if I can remember how!) once we've made the move and we can arrange a meet up.
Cheers,
Alison.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Alison & Gary -

Catherine
Hey tiger, we must make that coffee this time now that you are back again. drop me a PM, 304 on West in Umina do a mean coffee......

Jo
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:00 pm
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

We've been here 1 month on the Central Coast of NSW - about 90 km north of Sydney.

It's been kind of a bumpy ride so far. On the positive side: We are mostly settled in a rental house. The children are in school and enjoying it. I've been interviewing preschools for our 3 year old.

The bumps have come in with the 2 of the children going to school for 2 days, then home ill for 4 days. The illness was then passed onto preschooler. Finally I had it this week. Hopefully we're done with that.

Another major bump is OH still looking for work (Java Developer with 10 year experience) in Sydney. He had 2 client interviews last week. The headhunters seem to be wasting his time with projects that haven't been approved yet. Hopefully he'll find an opportunity soon!

Otherwise, life is great here. We are loving where we live.
Hi Catherine, I love the Central Coast too and can't wait to get back there. Plus I have family there so that will make things a bit easier for us. I also hope that my OH will be able to get a job in or around that area. It doesn't look like we will be moving till after Christmas now. I am fed up waiting, we have had our visa for 2 years and it is time we made the move! Good luck to your OH, I hope he finds a job soon

Janet

Last edited by JAK; Sep 28th 2010 at 7:03 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAK
Hi Catherine, I love the Central Coast too and can't wait to get back there. Plus I have family there so that will make things a bit easier for us. I also hope that my OH will be able to get a job in or around that area. It doesn't look like we will be moving till after Christmas now. I am fed up waiting, we have had our visa for 2 years and it is time we made the move! Good luck to your OH, I hope he finds a job soon

Janet
Janet -

Here's hoping that you'll be coming this way shortly into 2011....

thanks for the good thoughts. He's still looking....
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joho
Hey tiger, we must make that coffee this time now that you are back again. drop me a PM, 304 on West in Umina do a mean coffee......

Jo
Jo -

Thanks for saying "hi". I'll send you a PM now....looking forward to meeting up with you.

Catherine
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:16 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

There's always a period of illness associated with longterm settlement in a new country - the vast majority of people find themselves catching colds and bugs for the first year or so. But then you build up immunity to the new bugs and that, in tandem with your existing immunity to European bugs, makes you much more resilient to illlness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.