Reload this Page >

Young couple considering moving to Turkey

Young couple considering moving to Turkey

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

harrifox is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Young couple considering moving to Turkey

Hi expats!

My partner and I are looking to move to turkey (fethiye area). We are 25 and would like to know what the social life is like there? how easy is it to make friends? are there sports teams to join i.e football like there is here in the UK?

We have done a lot of research, we are considering buying a property. I know a work permit is difficult to get but ideally I would like to teach english, and my partner has his freelance work so would work from home.

Any other tips or knowledge you can share would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young couple considering moving to Turkey

Do you know about the changes being made under Erdogan ? islamicisiation is proceeding at high speed. The secular Turkey created by Ataturk is over.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

I never have been to Fethiye. We bought a place in Kusadasi 11 years ago and we love Turkey and in particular Kusadasi!
Turkish people are wonderful people and Turkey has a lot to offer.

A work permit is very important, so check what the possibilities are. Without a work permit, you cannot work!
Old May 3rd 2018, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Hana.husan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Do you know about the changes being made under Erdogan ? islamicisiation is proceeding at high speed. The secular Turkey created by Ataturk is over.
Could you please give a little more detail? I am wanting to move next year to Istanbul and my children will be going to Turkish schools ( her dad is non practising Muslim and I am non practising Christian) but your post has me a little worried .
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Under Erdogan secularism has been played down - or defeated - and there is a definite Islamic revival.
Old May 3rd 2018, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hana.husan
Could you please give a little more detail? I am wanting to move next year to Istanbul and my children will be going to Turkish schools ( her dad is non practising Muslim and I am non practising Christian) but your post has me a little worried .
The OP has shown no sign of life here since last Oct, which may not be a promising sign.
Have just found THIS blog which makes interesting reading - can't vouch for any of the comments though as I don't know the country.
I have lived in Beirut, Lebanon though, for a few years just after the conflict. Had a marvellous time, wonderful people both to work with and especially socialize. Also superb accomodation, great weather - not to mention the fabulous food. Driving was a nightmare though and I'm sure that's not changed since. I should imagine it has much in common with Turkey.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; May 3rd 2018 at 8:48 pm.
Old May 10th 2018, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beirut is much more "secular" than the "New Turkey" under Erdogan.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

mushmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi harrifox,
I've been living in Turkey for about 19 years and I'm just worried to see all the comments about "islamicisiation". I don't want to talk about governmental processes but I can truly tell that most people here don't care about islamicisiation at all! Eastern parts and small towns may be problematic but people living especially in the coastal parts are just so friendly and contemporary. I don't think you'll have hard time living in Fethiye. Just don't think about the "secularism" issues. Enjoy the natural beauties and cheap properties The only thing is that don't expect to find advanced facilities and opportunities to practice hobbies.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was a regular visitor to Istanbul over the period 1991 to 2011. The resurgence of Islam was visible even to the casual observer during that period./ The volume of the call to Prayer, the sheer numbers praying in the streets, use of veils, shop-closing at prayer time are just some small examples.