Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

Worried, parents retiring to Turkey

Worried, parents retiring to Turkey

Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Bootbrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worried, parents retiring to Turkey

My parents are retiring to Turkey in February and they are not rich people. I am wondering what people do about medical insurance when they are over 60 and moving to Turkey. I have lived in Canada 15 years and can hardly help them from here. I emigrated to Canada but my parents are just 'going' not sure of their status but I know they will not be covered for medical. Can anyone help me? Should I be posting somewhere else? Thanks for any insight.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried, parents retiring to Turkey

Originally Posted by Bootbrew
My parents are retiring to Turkey in February and they are not rich people. I am wondering what people do about medical insurance when they are over 60 and moving to Turkey. I have lived in Canada 15 years and can hardly help them from here. I emigrated to Canada but my parents are just 'going' not sure of their status but I know they will not be covered for medical. Can anyone help me? Should I be posting somewhere else? Thanks for any insight.
Read here it may help you.
I think they joined the EU at the last joining, so your parents should be covered by UK health cover.
Your mum if she is over 60 will have to apply for a form from DWP in UK to take with them and your dad will be her dependant as he has to be 65 to claim, if she is under 60 then its a different numbered form.
There will be more info on that link and also on the DWP site, i think there is a link to it on there.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I think they joined the EU at the last joining, so your parents should be covered by UK health cover.
Your mum if she is over 60 will have to apply for a form from DWP in UK to take with them and your dad will be her dependant as he has to be 65 to claim, if she is under 60 then its a different numbered form.
There will be more info on that link and also on the DWP site, i think there is a link to it on there.
Turkey did not join and it is very unlikely they will for a long time!
Only Bulgaria and Romania joined at the begining of this year!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
No, Turkey are not in the EU and imho not likely to be in the near or far future as there are too many issues, especially as they are now threatening to invade Northern Iraq!! I guess therefore they will need to take out some kind of private health care.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops a daisy; I apologize I thought they had joined with the last lot.
I know they have been trying to get in since 1999 and thought that they were close to joining.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Whoops a daisy; I apologize I thought they had joined with the last lot.
I know they have been trying to get in since 1999 and thought that they were close to joining.
They've decided to take over the middle east instead ... and frankly they can have it
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:14 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say where in Turkey your parents are going to but if you want to go to www.calis-beach.co.uk and either do a search or register and ask the same question I am sure someone will come up with some answers and reassurance.

Loz x
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:31 am

gedge has disabled reputation

have they any family remaining in the UK?
i haven't given it much thought but this is kind of what i understand my parents have done
make it seem like your parents are living with say a son/daughter in the UK... register with local GP, get bank details changed to that address etc. and then if need be they get on the first flight back and go through the GP/NHS as if still living there
obviously not a fool proof plan if the illness is sudden/severe
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

fragakik is an unknown quantity at this point

Well why not take out a private plan with bupa???
I think prices start from about £60???
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:44 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by fragakik
Well why not take out a private plan with bupa???
I think prices start from about £60???
When I left the UK BUPA were quoting figures in the region of £200 per month upwards ....... they tend to be very expensive for overseas cover, a local national based health company is normally the best bet ... I ended up with Sanitas in Spain which in fact is a division of BUPA, but £140 a month cheaper!