Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

Van Headlamps Needed

Van Headlamps Needed

Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Van Headlamps Needed

I have an LDV Convoy van which is UK registered but I want to get it put onto Hungarian plates, as I live in Hungary. The problem is, to do this I'm supposed to fit headlamps for a left hand drive vehicle and these are not easy to find. I have just learned that there is a version of my vehicle made in Turkey, called the BMC Levand (see link below). I would prefer secondhand lights but I have no idea how to go about looking for van parts in Turkey. Can anyone suggest a contact in Turkey who might supply these headlamps?

http://www.araba.com/271614081/BMC-L...ift-kabin-2005
Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Van Headlamps Needed

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I have an LDV Convoy van which is UK registered but I want to get it put onto Hungarian plates, as I live in Hungary. The problem is, to do this I'm supposed to fit headlamps for a left hand drive vehicle and these are not easy to find. I have just learned that there is a version of my vehicle made in Turkey, called the BMC Levand (see link below). I would prefer secondhand lights but I have no idea how to go about looking for van parts in Turkey. Can anyone suggest a contact in Turkey who might supply these headlamps?

http://www.araba.com/271614081/BMC-L...ift-kabin-2005

Have you checked to see if you can register a RHD van in Hungary? I only mention that, because some counties dont allow it. Have you / do you need a certificate of conformity, which some countries need.

Heres a useful site for headlamps
http://www.headlights4u.com/index.php/products

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 7th 2014 at 9:58 am.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know it is possible and I did have a garage that was going to do it for me. It was the man from the garage that told me I needed different lights. He said they had previously put them through with the beam converting stickers but the authorities had tightened the rules.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:13 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know it is possible and I did have a garage that was going to do it for me. It was the man from the garage that told me I needed different lights. He said they had previously put them through with the beam converting stickers but the authorities had tightened the rules.
OK, but could I recommend checking with the actual authorities, rather than the garage. In Spain, garages are happy to do the work, but you can't actually register what they call "commercial vehicles" because of the RHD viewing restrictions
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

There is a RHD Mercedes Sprinter that I've seen a few times in Nagykanizsa Sunday market. When I first saw it there were UK plates but it now has Hungarian plates. Actually it was a Sprinter I was ideally looking for when I bought the LDV in 2011, as I knew they were popular in Hungary.
The Hungarian owners of the Merc. van said they went to UK and bought 3 vans as they are much cheaper there.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:38 pm
Senior Moment

There is a RHD Mercedes Sprinter that I've seen a few times in Nagykanizsa Sunday market. When I first saw it there were UK plates but it now has Hungarian plates. Actually it was a Sprinter I was ideally looking for when I bought the LDV in 2011, as I knew they were popular in Hungary.
The Hungarian owners of the Merc. van said they went to UK and bought 3 vans as they are much cheaper there.
Yeah, same in Spain .... second hand cars are ridiculously expensive!
I only mentioned it to throw in a note of caution. I know they are different countries and different laws, but there are converted vans driving around in Spain, but if you tried to do it today you wouldnt be allowed to.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 3:04 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Just some info. In Turkey there are on Saturdays and Sundays many auto 'flea markets' where all types of car and lorry parts and vehicles are available.
Bartering is essential, while some parts are no cheaper than list-price.
Turkish mechanics/ families buy up used cars in all types of state in Germany, take them to Turkey repair them or break them down and sell on.They have contacts or have their own patch at markets, so they are upto date with whats around, and what
is available. Turkey is at the door of asia so alot of lorry parts are ready available,
ex expedition drivers (like myself) and eastern europe drivers are aware of this.
There was a market to drive old busses and vans through to Nepal and out of the way
Places in Asia.I drove an old Hanomag Al28, it was nice to have a network of info,
Probably better than internet and social media today, especially for those wear and tear parts, and difficult repair situations.
The turkish are well known barterers, and dont do anything for nothing, like I said just
Info to a 'quelle'.