Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

English Teachers in Kadikoy

English Teachers in Kadikoy

Old Jul 13th 2015, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

British1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Teachers in Kadikoy

Moving to Istanbul in a weeks time with my husband and hope to start teaching English. Would like to speak/meet with British Expats who are currently doing this so i can try to avoid working at wrong institution etc. Also for support on adjusting to life in turkey

Can you help or know other female expats there ? near kadikoy / uskudar / umraniye ??

thanks
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

laura1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Teachers in Kadikoy

Hi me my husband and 2 kids 5 and 7 are currently about to do the same thing in fethiye area any advice would be great are you moving to expat area, what made u move there
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Hi there.....fethiye - wow ! I love that place. Met my husband there. We live in uk right now and weather is awful and social life is not great for us. Husband has his family there and I'm keen to learn the Turkish culture and language and spend more time with the family. I am new to teaching so figured there would be more all year round opportunities in Istanbul. What about you ? Where u moving from and why ?
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by British1
Hi there.....fethiye - wow ! I love that place. Met my husband there. We live in uk right now and weather is awful and social life is not great for us. Husband has his family there and I'm keen to learn the Turkish culture and language and spend more time with the family. I am new to teaching so figured there would be more all year round opportunities in Istanbul. What about you ? Where u moving from and why ?

We also live in uk we are English have been to Turkey Every year for the last 10 years and love the way of life there my husband has a teaching degree and have just started the working visa process it's very tricky! Hoping to be out there by September he already has a job offer its just a waiting game now I am also trying to learn Turkish know the basics but not much else our 7 and 4 year old can also speak some Turkish.
We plan on renting for a year to check its the right move for us then buying a property
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Waiting to go is the hardest part. I left my job after 16 yes end of march and have been studying my online TEFL course. I have had a few teaching interviews online and in Istanbul last month. My husband has been studying too at college and finished a few weeks ago. The visa process is tricky but I'm sure you will get through it. Can I ask which website or network your husband used to find a job ?

We will rent as well for the first year and then decide what to do from there. It's a big decision isn't it and I hope it works out for you and us !
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Marmaris recruitment there's lots of jobs on there have you already managed to get your working visa?
Rented properties seem very reasonably priced which I'm pleased about and there is also English schools in the area which is good for us.
I was also planning on doing a teaching course as every little will help.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:24 am
Just Joined

No I have't got my visa yet as i didn't accept a job offer yet. Make sure the job you husband has covers the summer holidays being paid. Many of them don't. I will go on a tourist visa initially and will find out about residence visa as we have been married 3 years.

Rental in istanbul is mainly apartment based and there is high demand as they are knocking down the old houses and building new residences. You can get 2 bedroom for 1200-1500 lira per month. We have looked a few weeks ago when we were there but nothing finalised yet but we have family we can stay with temporarily.