Reload this Page >

Real estate advice turkey-bodrum

Real estate advice turkey-bodrum

Old May 20th 2012, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

jack19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Real estate advice turkey-bodrum

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine suggested that I rent my house in bodrum if I am not going to visit there during summer time. However, I wanted to check if anybody else have done that before. I need info regarding to which real estate mgmt companies I can work with and what kind of documents I will be signing.

Please pm me if you are currently renting a house in turkey.

Thank you.

Jack
Old May 21st 2012, 3:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real estate advice turkey-bodrum

Originally Posted by jack19
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine suggested that I rent my house in bodrum if I am not going to visit there during summer time. However, I wanted to check if anybody else have done that before. I need info regarding to which real estate mgmt companies I can work with and what kind of documents I will be signing.

Please pm me if you are currently renting a house in turkey.

Thank you.

Jack
No one can PM you yet Jack
Welcome to the forum, hope you get some replies
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Rainbows is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't whatever you do rent to a Turk, sorry about that but we owned a home there that we used 4 months of the Year. First impressions great, but lots of problems when Turks rent your property. They take advantage of the fact you are a yabanci and don't pay the rent or utilities build up big debts and and the law isn't much help. I am talking more long term rental.
Of course there are sometimes problems with other nationalities, but very rarely.
Take a look on the Turkish forum Turkishliving.com and look for advice on there, and also search the question, problems with tenants.
This forum is centered around the Bodrum, altinkum area. Good luck.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:47 am
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rainbows
Don't whatever you do rent to a Turk, sorry about that but we owned a home there that we used 4 months of the Year. First impressions great, but lots of problems when Turks rent your property. They take advantage of the fact you are a yabanci and don't pay the rent or utilities build up big debts and and the law isn't much help. I am talking more long term rental.
Of course there are sometimes problems with other nationalities, but very rarely.
I think it unfair to label a whole nation in this way, there are good and bad everywhere. The problem with any forum is that it cannot be considered to necessarily reflect the overall situation, because people rarely take time out to post about good experiences.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the problems you describe don't happen, only that it should not be taken that they happen all the time.
That aside, long term rental isn't usually viable financially because rents are relatively low (here in Altinkum anyway).
However, the OP is asking about renting out for the summer, and it is quite possible to get a better return just for those few months than for the whole year.
The first thing to consider is the value of whatever you have in your home, and by that I mean that you can expect wear and tear and breakages. If you have furnished modestly or your furnishings are a few years old that is one thing, but it is a different situation if it is all new and/or you have spent a lot of money.
Whatever their nationality, people on holiday have a different mindset to when they are in their own homes, and things happen.
It is a risk, and as has been rightly pointed out the law isn't much help if there are problems.
My best advice if you want to rent out is to arrange it yourself, perhaps for friends, family, work colleagues or anyone that you know personally in some way or is known by someone you trust.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozsubasi
I think it unfair to label a whole nation in this way, there are good and bad everywhere. The problem with any forum is that it cannot be considered to necessarily reflect the overall situation, because people rarely take time out to post about good experiences.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the problems you describe don't happen, only that it should not be taken that they happen all the time.
That aside, long term rental isn't usually viable financially because rents are relatively low (here in Altinkum anyway).
However, the OP is asking about renting out for the summer, and it is quite possible to get a better return just for those few months than for the whole year.
The first thing to consider is the value of whatever you have in your home, and by that I mean that you can expect wear and tear and breakages. If you have furnished modestly or your furnishings are a few years old that is one thing, but it is a different situation if it is all new and/or you have spent a lot of money.
Whatever their nationality, people on holiday have a different mindset to when they are in their own homes, and things happen.
It is a risk, and as has been rightly pointed out the law isn't much help if there are problems.
My best advice if you want to rent out is to arrange it yourself, perhaps for friends, family, work colleagues or anyone that you know personally in some way or is known by someone you trust.

Good points