Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

Is it expensive

Is it expensive

Old Jan 28th 2015, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it expensive

I have read that Turkey is expensive for meat, alcohol, and fuel, is this true?
Also, as it's not in the EU, it is best to get private medical insurance, is that correct?

We looked at property and it is very good price wise. Is that because it's expensive to live there, is there a big expat community?

Any answers to my questions appreciated.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 1:13 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it expensive

Originally Posted by Hollyhock
Also, as it's not in the EU, it is best to get private medical insurance, is that correct?

We looked at property and it is very good price wise. Is that because it's expensive to live there, is there a big expat community?

No on COL,
on medical insurance..yes.
Depends on your own situation really.
For yourself just look at cost of living Turkey on internet..simples
My 3 girls told me, nice people, especially in small towns but too much hassle for
W.European girls in big cities, so holiday ok, but I should not take them to live their.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you fuchs01, so you don't live there?
Old Jan 28th 2015, 5:18 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you fuchs01, so you don't live there?
No but did, with family but I didnt work.Through living in Germany still a few friends and contacts.Last 3 yrs I havent been to Turkey.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 5:36 am
Just Joined

spidergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hollyhock, yes you're right about the prices of meat, alcohol and fuel but the cost of living is still less than than uk for sure. Eating out in a normal 'family style' restaurant would cost less than 5 pounds per person. And although fuel prices are high taxis and transport prices are generally low. One ride on the Istanbul public transport system costs about 60p. There are a lot of expats here and Turkish people are really friendly too
Old Mar 10th 2015, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spidergirl
Hi hollyhock, yes you're right about the prices of meat, alcohol and fuel but the cost of living is still less than than uk for sure. Eating out in a normal 'family style' restaurant would cost less than 5 pounds per person. And although fuel prices are high taxis and transport prices are generally low. One ride on the Istanbul public transport system costs about 60p. There are a lot of expats here and Turkish people are really friendly too
Is it best to get private medical insurance as Turkey doesn't have a healthcare agreement with the UK?
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

it depends how long you're going to stay and what kind of visa you get. If it's just a tourist visa, travel insurance is best but if you are planning on spending longer here, private insurance would be best or i believe you can get government 'national health' for a fee
Old Mar 10th 2015, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks spider girl for your replies
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

PS51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Things have got a bit more expensive in Turkey. Re Post 5. Anywhere in the Bodrum area you would be pushed to get a large beer for £5. The average main course in a cafe would be about 20 Lira ie about £8. Not so different to uk Pub Prices
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Goodness, that is expensive..... More than 20 lira for a beer! I live in Istanbul where things have gone up but not that much thankfully.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:58 am
Just Joined

PS51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry got my countries mixed up on the exchange rate. Its about 20 Lira for a main course average and 10 Lira for a large Beer. Panic over.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 7:49 am
Just Joined

bishopjoyce39 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's alright.. I guess. Cheaper than most places in the EU. The coasts are so gorgeous.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bishopjoyce39
It's alright.. I guess. Cheaper than most places in the EU. The coasts are so gorgeous.
Given the current problems with migrants and the coastal areas I would be wary of moving anywhere near there, some of the articles in the media do NOT show the areas in a good light at all, with many migrants sleeping in the streets and just waiting to board one of the death traps to try to get across to Greece. There are a lot of initiatives going on by the EU at the moment which MAY help the situation, but if I was considering Turkey at the moment I would be having serious second thoughts.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Arva A. is an unknown quantity at this point

Your questions are mostly answered so I'll only add a suggestion. If you are planning to go to Istanbul, I'd say Ankara-the capital is WAY better in all ways. It's much cheaper, less crowded, less immigrants around, definitely more comfortable to live. I have British friends living here and they're all happy, feeling home