A year later...

Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light
Default A year later...

and we are lovin it....

I haven't posted on here for a long time, for various reasons but after much deliberation I decided to submit this post. This is our opinions and feelings about living and working in Canada as OTR truckers, it doesn't and won't suit everybody. I will answer genuine replies and comments, but I will not waste my time defending ourselves, our choices or the company we work for.

Some people will doubt what I say but life is for living so "do what you like and like what you do"

We left the Uk in Feb '08 not really knowing what we were letting ourselves in for. We had visited Nova Scotia 3 times on vacation/holiday but this
time we had sold our house, and were landing at Halifax airport with an LMO.

Rod is working for Clarke Road Transport, Halifax in the flatbed division, and would still recommend them as an employer to anybody looking for truck
driving work.
It hasn't been always been a bed of roses, but overall we are glad we are here.
We also used an Immigration Consultant which I know a lot of people feel they do not need, I fully agree you may not always need to use them but after 3 visits and getting totally frustrated with the whole process we made the decision to let somebody else take some of the stress. Make your own decision we feel we wasted 3 years trying to do it on our own!!

So here goes a brief summary of the last year...

we landed at Halifax airport with Rods offer of employment and LMO. The custom officer directed us to immigration where it took approx. 30 minutes to complete the paperwork and receive his 2 year Temp. Work Permit (TWP), I was issued with a 2 year visitor permit.

We were met by our immigration consultant and arranged to met the next day, so she could introduce us to Vaughan at Clarke Road and arrange Nova Scotia ID cards and medicare insurance.

Unfortunately or as Rod thought fortunately, the driver coach was with another new starter so wouldn't be able to take Rod on a trip for 2 weeks. We used these 2 weeks to go snowboarding, Rod took his driving test and do some more snowboarding
After a 10 day trip with his coach, Rod was given the thumbs up and was ready to roll. Some drivers do another trip with a mentor, but that is dependent on your experience and confidence. Rod was also paid a training wage for the time he was with the coach.

We eventually headed out on our 1st trip to Virginia at the end of March, and haven't looked back since.

Usually drivers work for approx. 10 days and then take 3 or 4 days off, its just a matter of letting your dispatcher know when you are ready for your next job, but remember whilst the wheels aren't turning you're not earning!! the best guide line is driving 2500 miles a week. It sounds a lot but once you're on the open roads you'll eat the miles for breakfast lol.
We've driven from Nova Scotia to Alberta, and through most of the States in America.

Personally we love it, BUT I travel with Rod, so if he gets delayed it doesn't really matter we just claim layovers Our kids have stayed behind in the UK, their choice not ours , we may feel differently if I was at home waiting for him? and we haven't bought property here yet but we are looking now, cos this is where we want to be.
We may feel differently in another years time but so what, its been an experience and we've loved it, so bring on the next adventure please....

Rosie x
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:35 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year later...

Good post Rosie, All the best to you and Rod and long may the happiness continue.
There are a few doom and gloom merchants around but if it was all that bad then you wouldn't still be doing it and i wouldn't be desperate to get back behind the wheel.
P.S. It's looking good for that f/bed job so far, i have to call tomorrow to arrange the drug test and road test.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Nice positive post, Glad its all working out for you

Some pics would be nice esp of the N.S. countryside and houses.

Are you hoping to get PR ? and does N.S. have a PNP system ?

Keep us updated ...
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Ive followed your Blog for some time, great to see you back on here.. keep the posts coming.. To much negativity being plasterd on the forums.
Do you go on every trip with Rod ? or sometimes remain in NS to chill out ?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Ive followed your Blog for some time, great to see you back on here.. keep the posts coming.. To much negativity being plasterd on the forums.
Do you go on every trip with Rod ? or sometimes remain in NS to chill out ?
I go on every trip with him, lucky Rod eh lol... I'll hopefully be doing my class1 here later this year

Anyways hows wedded bliss treating you, are you back at work now?
Rosie
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kb33
Nice positive post, Glad its all working out for you

Some pics would be nice esp of the N.S. countryside and houses.

Are you hoping to get PR ? and does N.S. have a PNP system ?

Keep us updated ...
hi kb33, theres loads of photos on our blogg, the address is at the bottom of my posts, although most of the photos are from our travels. We are collecting all the paperwork for the PNP process now and then we'll apply for PR.

Rosie

Last edited by RodRos&Co.; Feb 9th 2009 at 2:35 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co.
hi kb33, theres loads of photos on our blogg, the address is at the bottom of my posts, although most of the photos are from our travels. We are collecting all the paperwork for the PNP process now and then we'll apply for PR.

Rosie

Oh right I didn't realize you had a blog, Ill go and have a look
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I go on every trip with him, lucky Rod eh lol... I'll hopefully be doing my class1 here later this year

Rosie

Shhhhhhhhhhhushhhhhhhhhhhhhh the weddings next saturday
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Can i ask why you've been there a year, and not applied for your PR yet?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
Can i ask why you've been there a year, and not applied for your PR yet?
I know your Q ids aimed at Rosie, but my case might also be of use and interest to others..
I had waited till i was 1000% sure, this is where i want to live and work, almost wrote, end my days,but that was to close to the truth Well what with the accident laying me up for so long i decided not to do the PNP route but the spousal route ie, Louise sponsors me, i dont see any advantage or dis advantage for choosing this route, the time frame may even be longer, its just the way we,ve chosen.. The paper work is pretty much the same,and its not rocket science We may????? get an agent to do a final check on the papers, or just Louises sister who,s friggin brainy
Ok Rosie, now say your bit
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know your Q ids aimed at Rosie, but my case might also be of use and interest to others..
I had waited till i was 1000% sure, this is where i want to live and work, almost wrote, end my days,but that was to close to the truth Well what with the accident laying me up for so long i decided not to do the PNP route but the spousal route ie, Louise sponsors me, i dont see any advantage or dis advantage for choosing this route, the time frame may even be longer, its just the way we,ve chosen.. The paper work is pretty much the same,and its not rocket science We may????? get an agent to do a final check on the papers, or just Louises sister who,s friggin brainy
Ok Rosie, now say your bit

Graham I have been wondering for quite a while now , But say you had gone down the Truck Driver PNP route how would the accident /injury have affected your application ? Esp if you found out you were unable to do the job anymore

<sorry for the thread hijack >
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kb33
Graham I have been wondering for quite a while now , But say you had gone down the Truck Driver PNP route how would the accident /injury have affected your application ? Esp if you found out you were unable to do the job anymore

<sorry for the thread hijack >
It would have had no impact on my application,of this i am 99.99% sure
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:18 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

It would have had no impact on my application,of this i am 99.99% sure
Thats right, couldn't do the job before so what difference does being incapacitated make?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

Rosie
well i must say congratulations for taking the leep.
and it sounds as if you are both enjoying every second out there.
as some say life is for living.
you will probably get asked this but I dont suppose they are looking for drivers just now?
good luck with everything
and keep us updated some of us enjoy reading some good stories from people who are living the dream
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Thats right, couldn't do the job before so what difference does being incapacitated make?
I think i prefered you when you were,nt here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.