Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Working in Timeline logistic, Saskatoon, SK

Working in Timeline logistic, Saskatoon, SK

Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough
Default Working in Timeline logistic, Saskatoon, SK

Hi, I wasnt here since I got my new job in Timeline logistic in Saskatoon.

I am here since october last year.
I would like to write you something about my feelings and how I enjoy this company.

Timeline is a young company with 25 trucks. We have only new trucks and trailers...I call them new becouse they are less then 2 years old. Mine is just one year old now. But we work with another company and sometimes pull their older crap trailers....
I must say they treat me perfect down here. Everything they told me before I arrived was true. They paid for my flight ticket, they paid for my hotel for first two weeks until I got my Class 1 driving licence and started driving.

We mainly work for oilfield companies. Timeline has got flat decks and step decks only. We usually deliver pipes from Edmonton AB, to Houston and surrounding area in Texas. I usually do between 12 and 14 000 miles a month. It can be done legally. We have got electronic log books and we are under no pressure to break the law.

I must say Timeline keeps their trucks running....I never wait for another load more the a day...I usually deliver a load and get another one the same day...but sometimes it can happen that it is not like that. But even if you have to wait Timeline pays 75 CAD for every 24 hours of waiting...
To be honest with you....I was waiting in november about 4 days in Edmonton for a load, becouse they had a Thanksgiving day in states and there were no loads becouse nobody worked in states since thursday until monday....but it happend only once and it was for a reason...

Another true about Timeline...you will feel like a human and not like a phone number. As far as I know here about 6 british drivers...only few of them left and it was becouse their wifes didnt enjoy Canada....

Another thing....you are expect to work...sometimes I do reset in states and sometimes in Saskatoon but I never know where I will stay...I dont really mind...I am single and like it here....but if you have family Timeline will do their best to get you home as much as possible...

From my point of view Timeline is a good company to start...
I know that here are drivers from another good companies too...you can ask them how happy they are...I believe Timeline is not only one good company in Canada....but I only wanted to share my opinions with you becouse I found some info about Timeline on this forum and that was why I contacted them....

As far as I know they applied for anothe LMOs to employ even more UK drivers...If you need just contact them....you can write them email or use their facebook....Troy is fine and he always answers all my questions....he will definatilly answer all your questions too...
you will find more info about payments on the website if you need....

www.timelinelogistic.ca

And now about money...I believe that is also important....I dont know what is the best rate per mile...but we get 0.43 CAD per mile...
plus 20 CAD each border crossing, 50 for loading, 50 unloading, 50 for tarping, 75 for layout....
when you do a reset in states or out of Saskatoon...you can choose if you want to stay in truck and get 75 CAD, or you can go to a hotel and Timeline will pay the bill for your hotel....it is your choice...
Maybe I forgot about something so just check the website...you will find it there...

My colleagues told me that the average what they bring home each month is 4 400 CAD....but I dont know why but I bring home a bit more in average....
Plus every three months you get bonuses....
bonuses are for....pulling a step deck...keeping truck clean, good contact with transport managers...and bonus for safe driving...it means...no penalties and no accidents....

Now some bad things in here.....the winter is crazy here...temperatures jumping up and down....it is -30 C and wind chill -47 C :-) It is hard to work in this weather...but dont worry you can do it...all of us can do it...
we are not made from sugar...as my father always says :-)

another bad thing is tarping the load in this freezing weather....it is really hard job....but we usually load at least a few trucks on the same place in Edmonton so we always help each other....nobody is on hurry...we always get a message from our boss to help each other...they dont want you to injur yourself....we only tarp the loads from Canada....we dont tarps the loads going from US...it can happen but very rarely...
we have to tarp the pipes from Edmonton becouse they dont want the salt from road to get on them...that is the main reason...as soon as the winter is gone...we dont have to tarp it anymore...

another crazy experience....as I said we usually go down to Texas....it is fine...I like it...but now in Texas is about 25 C and here in Canada -30 C....I am fine with that but be prepared that you will wear one day a down jacket and a few days later shorts and T-Shirt....

and a few fact yet....
the driving licence in this area will cost you 2075 CAD, Troy told me to bring at least 4 000 CAD with me becouse he knew that I will wait for a first payment at least 5 weeks....I had to pay my driving licence and the rest of the money I spent for food and some working clothes and other important things....but it is better to bring a bit more money with you...
but the good thing is that you will get these money back in a spring time in a tax return....Troy will explain you how it works....I am still not ready to explain how it works but I know I will get my money back soon :-)

we get paid twice a month...every 15th and 30th each month....

If you need to know anything else...you can ask me or contact Timeline....
they will be always ready to answer....

Please, dont take this as an advertisment for Timeline logistic...
no houlage in the world is the best one....but I like that I feel like a human here and that my boss is always so friendly....
I know that Timeline is short of drivers at the moment....and they are waiting for another LMOs....this is why I write here becouse there will be chance soon to get a job here....
but you dont have to come over here....you can find maybe better company....I wish you all good luck....
I like it here....Canadians are very nice people.....

I feel more freedom here then in Europe....
maybe I it is only my feeling but I really feel like that....

Good luck to you all....anywhere you go....I hope you will enjoy Canada like me....
Old Feb 1st 2013, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Timeline logistic, Saskatoon, SK

PLeased you are enjoying life .. aye winters a big shock tae the system...

question .....is this the firm wae the cameras in the cab that haul yellowcake to kentucky as well...just being a nosey b...
heard good things about the company.
jimmy.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

Jamesmc
:-)
wow....camera in the cab? No, really...we have got nothing like that :-)
I had no delivery to Kentucky yet anyway :-)....

We have got an electronic log books and it is conected through satelite...so my boss always knows where I am thanks to the log book he always know how much job I can do yet....so this works for both sides....

another good thing is that we have got small size scanners in our trucks...it is really great...it doesnt need a much room and I can scan and send my paperwork from my cab to my boss....it takes just a few minutes....I know that some drivers need to go to truck stop and fax the paperwork and pay for it...of course they will get their money back later, but this is much easier....
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Scottishstacey

I wish you good luck........and maybe see you here later :-)
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to edit my post and i ended up deleting it - oops!

They sound like a good company, at least your enjoying it. We originally looked into new zealand because there was so much construction work going but my OH really likes the idea of canada and so do i. He has less than 6 months class 1 experience so not sure if anybody would be interested in him but we'll give them a try.

So cheers for the contact, i'll get him to send his details
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Its the winters that put me off a bit - is the thought of them worse than the actual reality? Im scottish so used to the cold obviously but definitely not those kind of temps!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

aye Milanuk was speaking tae my bud about TL and he seemed to think they had cameras in cab when running down tae yrd in kentucky wi uranium yellowcake,,,must be more driver truckstop talk.
sounds ok having scanner etc .
scottish stacey it was only -45c wi windchill this morning .. lol.you get used to it......the prairie summers are worth it ...welll .
jimmy
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Only! Lol i remember it being -15 here once year and i was nearly greetin! I probably wasnt wrapped up warm enough though. A bit of sunshine and blue sky always helps me though!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesmc

That is the trouble. People talk too much...

When I was looking for job in Canada...I did my search but in the end of the day....I just go and try it...becouse people sometimes dont say true...so now I am here and I know the true....
and I just want to share what I know to help others to decide...

and it would be good for us if another UK drivers come over...
some drivers told me that there is about 20 000 people from UK living in Saskatoon....there is a british shop as well....but my friends told me that it is expensive but everybody go there sometimes....
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Scottishstacey

the winter here is crazy....temperatures jumping up and down.....
but remember....you will spend just a few days here and then you will spend most of your time in USA....

an example about jumping temperature over here...
I am in Estevan SK....I did my delivery here yesterday and was nearly out of hours...today I can start recup so another driver will bring me loaded trailer in one hour and I go back to Houston....
the temperature last night was -30 and windchill -45...
but when I woke up this morning...it is only -9....

dont worry...you will get use to it....
I know that only one UK driver left from Timeline becouse he didnt like the winter :-)
My friend is from Scotland...he is from Glasgow...he is here with his wife...and he dont mind the freezing temperatures.....
as far as I know he dont like the food in USA so his wife cook for him british food :-)
I am single so nobody cooks for me but I dont mind to eat anything :-)

Timeline dont mind if drivers take their wifes with them....a few of them do it like that....Timeline gives them a bigger trucks with more room...they usually get a Freightliners Cascadia or Coronado...they have got two beds inside...

I have got Peterbilt 386 with one bed only but a big bed :-)
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

James

we dont do uranium yet....Timeline was suppose to get a contract but the company we should work for has finished....
so now Timeline tryes to get another contract with somebody else...

But I can not do uranium until I get my PR...it will take 18 months before I get it...

I really dont know if trucks pulling uranium need a camera in their cab...nobody in Timeline said anything about that...

If I ever start pulling uranium....I will let you know if they put camera in my cab :-)

I had a camera in my cab.....but it was when I worked for Turners in UK...they put a cameras in our truck that were facing us....it was becouse we had a bad times and some drivers had a serious accidents so they thought it will help to reduce accidents :-)....
I hated that...I was happy when they took it off after few weeks...
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

delgado is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Milan..
Nice to see a positive post with regards to an employer

couple of questions for you if you would be so kind?
1) What licence /experience did you have before applying to timeline
2) Will they consider applicants with no canadian trucking experience ,but UK only?
3) Who is best person to contact (rather than fill out website application) as it is asking for Canadian license number etc
lastly , remember there is no such thing as bad weather only bad choice in clothing..

'soon

D (glasgow)

cannot pm you for some reason
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
here are some answers :-)

1) I had about 9 years experience....I think that canadian companies ask for at least 5 years experience....
2) Yes, of course they will consider UK experience...I had no canadian experience when I applied with Timeline
3) you can find the contact at www.timelinelogistic.ca in the section "contact us"
write them email...I believe they will send you answer within a day or two...
or give them call...there is a toll free number....just put +1 at the start...please mind the different time here :-)
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

delgado is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,

Thanks for reply Bro...

I am well short of the experience required , which has been brought to my attention in other posts and confirmed by your reply also.

I Will plug away and look at all options

cheers.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by delgado
Hi ,

Thanks for reply Bro...

I am well short of the experience required , which has been brought to my attention in other posts and confirmed by your reply also.

I Will plug away and look at all options

cheers.
From what I've read on some posts it is possible to find companies that will higher you with less than 5 yrs experience, some quote 2, best thing to do is to contact them and find out yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.