Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Where is everybody?!!!!!!!

Where is everybody?!!!!!!!

Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Raquelle will become famous soon enough
Default Where is everybody?!!!!!!!

All has gone quiet on the western front!!! Is everybody actually working?!!! Are you all in Canada already, or is anyone left behind who is just dreaming?!!!!
Rachel
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice
Default Re: Where is everybody?!!!!!!!

I'm HERE............... and loving it
Old Sep 30th 2007, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kb33
I'm HERE............... and loving it

You lucky bugger!!! We are still stuck here in lovely grey Scotland, what more could you want out of life? And to top it all off, im English, and living in Scotland!!!! Its bliss!!!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Scotland aint so bad, Better than some inner city area's of the bigger cities further south . (I came from Leeds )

When and where are you coming across then ?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kb33
Scotland aint so bad, Better than some inner city area's of the bigger cities further south . (I came from Leeds )

When and where are you coming across then ?
Your right, Scotland ain't that bad! Only if you are English you wouldn't believe the racism you are up against here, truly it is unbelievable. Im from London originally, I met my husband here(he is Scottish and has an open mind!). We are hoping to get over there next summer, end of june when kids break up from school. Hubby (Gary) has just applied for Westcan so we are just waiting to hear back from them at the moment. Glad to hear it is all going well so far for you over there.

Rachel
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Good choice They got some bad press from some families who where the first to go over on the PNP, But some of the original families are still here and loving life in Canada. Canadian drivers keep telling me "The lifestyle and job are what YOU make of them " And they seem happy enough

Kevin
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget me im still here Just got back from a five day stint,and its bloody chilly 2nites in a hoteland 1 at home The days are long,usually 14 hrs,that takes some getting used too,havent done that in 15years But the time does seem to whiz by,and absolutly no traffic,zilch,nothing,zero,nada. Being able to drive at ones own pace,not the Euro hectic i' know and hated
Attached Thumbnails Where is everybody?!!!!!!!-101_0042.jpg   Where is everybody?!!!!!!!-101_0045.jpg  
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Dont forget me im still here Just got back from a five day stint,and its bloody chilly 2nites in a hoteland 1 at home The days are long,usually 14 hrs,that takes some getting used too,havent done that in 15years But the time does seem to whiz by,and absolutly no traffic,zilch,nothing,zero,nada. Being able to drive at ones own pace,not the Euro hectic i' know and hated

Glad you are enjoying the driving over there, its like a different world isn't it? We were over there in July in Alberta and BC. We went all over the place in a Campervan, in fact im sure we drove along that road in the picture you have posted!! There was never any traffic (not like UK traffic anyway) even when it was Canada Day weekend it wasn't that bad. Can't wait to get back over there ASAP You say its chilly already, how cold are you talking? Its actually been really cold here this past week with frost in the morning which is unusual for september, apparently we are in for a really cold winter but they do say that every year!!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raquelle
Glad you are enjoying the driving over there, its like a different world isn't it? We were over there in July in Alberta and BC. We went all over the place in a Campervan, in fact im sure we drove along that road in the picture you have posted!! There was never any traffic (not like UK traffic anyway) even when it was Canada Day weekend it wasn't that bad. Can't wait to get back over there ASAP You say its chilly already, how cold are you talking? Its actually been really cold here this past week with frost in the morning which is unusual for september, apparently we are in for a really cold winter but they do say that every year!!
They're saying that here too, did some snow chain practice yesterday,whilst waiting to get a puncture repairedall 8 drive wheels done in 15mins "the old fart can still do it" we had snow and sleet fluries going to Castelgar:curse:
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:25 pm
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

Hiya folks

Nice pics Gremmie, you seem to have a knack while driving Hope it's handsfree!!!

We've got our tickets sorted and its bye bye UK on 9th November!!!

Times really dragging now, just can't wait to get the flock outa here!

Try not doing the snow dance too much... Don't wanna have to sit my test in a blizzard!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit
Hiya folks

Nice pics Gremmie, you seem to have a knack while driving Hope it's handsfree!!!

We've got our tickets sorted and its bye bye UK on 9th November!!!

Times really dragging now, just can't wait to get the flock outa here!

Try not doing the snow dance too much... Don't wanna have to sit my test in a blizzard!
Good luck for november guys. What part of Canada are you going to and who will you be working for, if you don't mind me asking?!

Rachel
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:38 pm
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

Hiya Rachael,

Were off to Lethbridge in Alberta to work for H&R Transport, gotta couple of mates there who reacon its ok so we'll see. They've also offered us the best deal so far... ..
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya Rachael,

Were off to Lethbridge in Alberta to work for H&R Transport, gotta couple of mates there who reacon its ok so we'll see. They've also offered us the best deal so far... ..
We went for an interview with H&R in Northampton in July. We thought they were really upfront about everything and didn't attempt to make it all sound like a bed of roses which we really appreciated. Unfortunately, because our kids were with us they heard everything including that their dad was gonna be away up to 14 days at a time and they were not happy!!

We have tried blackmailing them with the promise of a puppy (each) when we get there, but that hasn't worked! Now we are trying for a job where Gary will be away for about 5 days at a time and they are happier with that (still want the puppies though as well!).

Its good you have mates at H&R who can give you a true picture rather than believing what you read on here! I wish you both well, im sure you are gonna love it! Keep us posted on how it all goes won't you?

Rachel
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:27 pm
Kev and Lisa

We heard all the bad vibes on here too, then it turned out I knew 3 different people working for them through various contacts at work... So it was with some relief to find most of it a load of bull.

You do get the odd dead wood in any company, you just have to take everything on board and sort out the "I heard this" and the "My mates p*****d off coz" and come to your own conclusion.

I know how you must feel though, it's a lot to risk with a family. Lisa and me don't have any kids yet so it's not too difficult for us. Not that it was an easy decision!

At the end of the day we don't have anything to lose and loads to gain. We're going with our eyes and ears open and every intention of staying for good. We'll happily keep in touch and let you know what it's like....

Not that were jumping on the band wagon but check out

www.kevandlisastruckinglife.blogspot.com

Bit of a long title so put it in your favorites!!!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

We heard all the bad vibes on here too, then it turned out I knew 3 different people working for them through various contacts at work... So it was with some relief to find most of it a load of bull.

You do get the odd dead wood in any company, you just have to take everything on board and sort out the "I heard this" and the "My mates p*****d off coz" and come to your own conclusion.

I know how you must feel though, it's a lot to risk with a family. Lisa and me don't have any kids yet so it's not too difficult for us. Not that it was an easy decision!

At the end of the day we don't have anything to lose and loads to gain. We're going with our eyes and ears open and every intention of staying for good. We'll happily keep in touch and let you know what it's like....

Not that were jumping on the band wagon but check out

www.kevandlisastruckinglife.blogspot.com

Bit of a long title so put it in your favorites!!!

Thanks for that! I've looked at your blog and understand COMPLETELY about the family/parents thing! We were all set to move to Calgary 2 years ago but pulled out because my mum was literally having a nervous breakdown about us going. The thing is the itchy feet never go away do they?!

So this time if we can get Gary the right job we ARE going and my mum will just have to cope. It sounds harsh but I already have a bit of resentment there from the last time. I think we may actually wait till we get to Canada and then phone and tell her what we have done Then at least I won't have to look at her heartbroken face!

Your right, it is not an easy decision to make but I think once you have made it you should stick with it and just look forward I think you 2 will have a fab time there. Lisa, do you drive trucks too? Or are you going to just go on the trips with Kev?

Rachel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.