Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

whats the best way to contact prospective employers

whats the best way to contact prospective employers

Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: whats the best way to contact prospective employers

I had a couple of replies from Saskatoon based companies, but I have been to Alberta and the East is prairie and can be quite dull looking, from all accounts Saskatchewan is very bare and wide open, although I gather you wont be to bothered as it will just be a base of employment.
Anyway let me know how you get on
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Cant possibly see how 10K (18CAD) would be enough

Tests alone cost me over $2000, Then deposit for house rent or buy, Then car, Then subsidise wages for 2 months till you get on full money , Then buy all electrical goods again, Most UK ones wont work here. Insurance, warm winter clothes , the list goes on and on .....

I'm sorry but that is the reason most families go back home ie lack of money either they don't bring enough to start with or spend too much when they get here (Then blame anybody else but themselves )
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kb33
Cant possibly see how 10K (18CAD) would be enough

Tests alone cost me over $2000, Then deposit for house rent or buy, Then car, Then subsidise wages for 2 months till you get on full money , Then buy all electrical goods again, Most UK ones wont work here. Insurance, warm winter clothes , the list goes on and on .....

I'm sorry but that is the reason most families go back home ie lack of money either they don't bring enough to start with or spend too much when they get here (Then blame anybody else but themselves )
im getting my cdl out a cornflakes packet for $10 incl delivery.
well it is only myself to worry about as long as boss is cool with me using company address il just be using hotels for awhile. or if i can find someone to share with we will be both $ in. but thats still a few months of yet.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
I have spoken to a family a few months ago 2 Adults 1 Child who went over with £10.000 approx which they said was more than enough and they are doing fine.
Can only repeat what has been told to me !!

especially if your not planning on a perm base and living in the truck / motel after training
If spockil is not going to be buying or renting then there is no requirement for Electricals, car, house ins, heating etc etc etc.

As a single bloke if you can't survive on £10.000 for a mater of a few weeks (providing you pass your test etc quickly and don't drag ot out or piss your money away) then there is serious problems.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

If spockil is not going to be buying or renting then there is no requirement for Electricals, car, house ins, heating etc etc etc.

As a single bloke if you can't survive on £10.000 for a mater of a few weeks (providing you pass your test etc quickly and don't drag ot out or piss your money away) then there is serious problems.
just remember i am a scotsman and i can live of baked beans and toast for a while. then il get some lobster.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Lobster?
Whats wrong wi haggis neeps and tatties?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
Lobster?
Whats wrong wi haggis neeps and tatties?
but u cant get good haggis in canada its that cheap and nasty.
have you had a haggis and egg roll with a little brown sauce?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

No not tried that yet! Will get ma mammy to bring some decent haggis over at x mas, mind you she can hardly remember my name at times now so she might bring over my brothers record collection or something, poor wee thing!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
No not tried that yet! Will get ma mammy to bring some decent haggis over at x mas, mind you she can hardly remember my name at times now so she might bring over my brothers record collection or something, poor wee thing!
atleast she will bring u something. my gran keeps calling me my brothers name.
well fri is my driving assesment for siemens then iv got medical on tue so hopefully wont be long before im out having interviews.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Oh yeah single bloke no problems, But with a wife that cant work (and wants all nice new furniture )and kids that want every new thing they see, 10K doesn't go anywhere. It ain't enough for a family thats for sure.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Oh yeah single bloke no problems, But with a wife that cant work (and wants all nice new furniture )and kids that want every new thing they see, 10K doesn't go anywhere. It ain't enough for a family thats for sure.
wife and kids no they cost to much.
somepeople call me the wise man for that.
you can all worship me later lol
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah its a wallet bashing thing these wifes and kids!:curse:
I was putting away some clothes in the wardrobe the other day when I noticed a label, I gave it a tug and he presto! there is half a dozen new tops for the wife that she has never even wore, heres me with a pair of socks and pants for each day of the week and she has that many tops she forgets she has ones she hasnt even tried on!:curse:
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

$10k also for a single isnt exactly living in the lap of luxury just think you might not pass ya test first time or even 2nd time as a pal of mine did from trans X
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought we were taking £10K
This seems a fair amount
But $10K maybe a bit on the tight side, surely still do able
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spockil
atleast she will bring u something. my gran keeps calling me my brothers name.
well fri is my driving assesment for siemens then iv got medical on tue so hopefully wont be long before im out having interviews.
Good luck for the assessment
Just one thing how are you getting an assessment from siemens? are you in Canada at the mo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.