Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice
Default Re: Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Originally Posted by alandoug
Try the H&R Qualcomm macros. Totally OTT. Fuel macros? Just how do they save paperwork ?
A TIR carnet is less trouble
I do not know the full in's and out's of the qualcom system.

One thing that the qualcom does is you dont have to note your milage at every state/province line,Also it pay's the state fuel tax i believe that's why there is a route to be taken.
The border crossing authorisation that come's through did not come from the office it come's from the custom's/broker otherwise you would have to phone for authorisation etc.
There are many other things it does aswell.

I cannot see how a carnet TIR would be less trouble,Have you ever used one,I used them quite a lot at one time,Even had to use them from the UK to Spain and back before Spain entered the common market as a T form was not an option in them day's.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I have used a carnet.

I was refering to the excessive duplication & number of macros demanded by H&R. Their routing is generally good. Fuel stops demand you stop more than necessary, is a real time waster.
To pick up a load ? 3 macros
Every delivery 2
You wake up at meat inspect..... Try 6... Much of it duplicated. One question asks "did u report to customs?" Try driving into the US & miss customs?

I was on PEI in 2010, macros. Yes. This kind of crap? No.

Oh & when the system blocks up, it spits them back at you. There is no intelligent pre fill. You have to do the lot again. Get one digit wrong on a job or trailer number? Same result.

Bloody antiquated piece of garbage

Yes, I know the broker clears the load. The only way I knew it was clear was to either ring the broker, H&R do not pay for phone calls. Or get the office to check the PARS number was clear online.

Last edited by alandoug; Mar 7th 2013 at 3:07 am.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

Yes, I have used a carnet.

I was refering to the excessive duplication & number of macros demanded by H&R. Their routing is generally good. Fuel stops demand you stop more than necessary, is a real time waster.
To pick up a load ? 3 macros
Every delivery 2
You wake up at meat inspect..... Try 6... Much of it duplicated. One question asks "did u report to customs?" Try driving into the US & miss customs?

I was on PEI in 2010, macros. Yes. This kind of crap? No.

Oh & when the system blocks up, it spits them back at you. There is no intelligent pre fill. You have to do the lot again. Get one digit wrong on a job or trailer number? Same result.

Bloody antiquated piece of garbage

Yes, I know the broker clears the load. The only way I knew it was clear was to either ring the broker, H&R do not pay for phone calls. Or get the office to check the PARS number was clear online.
Maybe you should have stayed in PEI then.

Every company using this system has their own program they want installed in the qualcom,I will admit that some of the message's seem a little strange but they are there for a reason.
When a driver get's to know the macro system it work's quite well,If it's used proper,ie, ETA'S,PTA'S DAY'S OFF,etc it should keep you working as the planner's only look at these message's and plan work for where the truck is/will be what time etc,It is no good at all verbally telling your dispacher what your up to they only look at the macro's,Having said that they have to read them,A good dispacher doing the job will keep you going.
Big company's like these have to use these system's to keep thing's on the move

The did you report to customs is asking whether or not you went to them in person.

We all know that a broker clear's the load.
About the border xing macro southbound,This macro is sent to the truck so the driver know's he/she is cleared and good to go to the border you will find that the CBP have the final say in this macro,As you will very well know about the manifest that had to be filled and all the crap that went on with it prior to the ACE border xing being introduced.

H&R do pay reimbursment for phone call's and yes all most every driver in North America has to phone the broker to see if it's good to go to the border,Thats if they dont mind sitting at the border or prefer to wait at a truckstop if there is a problem with clearing the load.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

I never got a cent in phone calls from H&R.

My first despatcher was good. The second took little or no notice of booked time off. He just expected you to carry on regardless having either no or reduced time off. He would often have to be reminded iwhat was going on.

My point was not to get into a discussion about personalities at H&R but high light the number of macros they demand. Which is VERY high.

The system is bad for a team when it plays up. Your partner has to sort it while you drive, a real time waster. Plus they don't get to sleep.

Whether I should have stayed on PEI is debateable. The most telling thing about your comment is that if I don't like the system at H&R then I should not work there. No discussion, just go. The H&R philosophy.

I no longer work there. Enough said?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

I never got a cent in phone calls from H&R.

My first despatcher was good. The second took little or no notice of booked time off. He just expected you to carry on regardless having either no or reduced time off. He would often have to be reminded iwhat was going on.

My point was not to get into a discussion about personalities at H&R but high light the number of macros they demand. Which is VERY high.

The system is bad for a team when it plays up. Your partner has to sort it while you drive, a real time waster. Plus they don't get to sleep.

Whether I should have stayed on PEI is debateable. The most telling thing about your comment is that if I don't like the system at H&R then I should not work there. No discussion, just go. The H&R philosophy.

I no longer work there. Enough said?
I also no longer work there,It was not a discussion just some answer's to your post's on here and maybe helpful to other's gaining info about the working in Canada.

I was paid every cent for phone call's and every other receipt i put in was paid in full.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by neilg14
Mick or Dirtytrucker, here's an easy one.
What was your gross for a 12 month period ?
T4 in.

$60,410 that included time off back in UK for a holiday and I have now done my tax return and should be getting around $7,000 as a tax refund.
I'm happy with that for long haul daylight running for 50% of the time and no pressure or BS from the company. I think I did about 128,000 miles.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:11 am
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kb33
$53K for 70 hours a week ain't much
It actually works out about £6-7k more than I get in the UK for 70 hours!!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

The $53,000 is just the figure for the LMO. You will earn more than that.

They are good to work for, I took longer than others to settle. But wouldn't go anywhere else now. My Mrs drives there too.

They are above all HONEST. You are due a layover, you get one. You are given running money, you don't have to use your own & fight to get it back. Unlike many.

Mr Watt & Mr Stewart have both done the job. Which is good so long as you are not full of BS.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2
It actually works out about £6-7k more than I get in the UK for 70 hours!!!!!

Love to see you have a better lifestyle and work /life balance in Alberta with $54K , Once again comparing CAD with UK Pounds will not work .
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:37 pm
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

Love to see you have a better lifestyle and work /life balance in Alberta with $54K , Once again comparing CAD with UK Pounds will not work .
Didn't assume I would.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

But you obviously were
Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickfly
Jeez FTTM, I'm on here spouting enough for you to know that I turned down a 2 yr LMO after a full year with them due to the birth of our first Grandchild as Alan Douglas says above.

I got decent miles and earned a good sum, banking plenty, and had NO complaints about them whatsoever, which might make you consider I was right about H&R, seeing that W&S is flatdeck in all weathers, so hardly shopping trolly work like most are looking for.

Yes, I may be back to take the 2 yr permit in the future, I don't need PR as I have property and brass in Europe, so I am fortunate enough to be able to make choices.

Something about my time there...
http://cathincanada.blogspot.co.uk/2...o-go-home.html

As Alan Douglas also says, I blabbed about H&R to save people from grief, but FTTM still thinks it's sour grapes, or some such thing!
Nowt wrong with Bradford mate!! Gave me and my family a good living
Old Nov 14th 2013, 5:33 am
Not so new ;-)

But you obviously were
Actually, after some very heavy research spanning a couple of years, I am more than up to speed with the high cost of living in Canada. The point I was trying to make was that I would be satisfied, to an extent, with that salary if it meant getting over to Canada!

Many will disagree, but as has been said before, it's a means to an end
Old Nov 17th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Nowt wrong with Bradford mate!! Gave me and my family a good living
Is that why you left then ???
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

No it's cos he couldn't find a house with a swimming pool in Bradford

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.