Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future
Default Re: Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Bloody heck those are your deck rates, thats the lowest I have ever seen,, our guys are on 50c + on over size loads
Good for your lads Gremmie, do they keep moving all the time?
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33
53K might work living in Claresholm with very little mortgage or rent , Dont know about jobs for spouses either , But lots further up the road south of Calgary, Be a bit of a commute for $10/ 14 bucks an hour though

I know what you're saying about the wages in the UK , You might know Bedfords in Birststall ? Well there paying just above the minimum wage for tramping and probably plenty more jobs paying the same , Ive not been back in nearly six years but it does sound bad from what I hear .

Jobs like the W&S one do sound like a fantastic adventure to some , But the novelty will soon wear off , Usually as winter hits , Then working like a dog for seven days with not much to show for it , Morale will soon be at an all time low .
You had the support and company of your wife both times which must help enormously , Plus a network of friends to chat to , Some coming over will have neither.

Im not sure about the Ad either , I mean if they are advertising those wages NOT to attract Canadians but to fulfill the LMO criteria surely thats fraud ?

Then again nothing surprises me about the how these Trucking companies operate . I'm pretty sure the term " Moving the goalposts " originated in Canada .
The rents are around $800-1000 in Claresholm, plenty of work for wives at around $10 an hour, although (as I have told many prospective drivers) it would still be tough for a family on OTR wages.
I don't think the ad is fraudulent, they are very straight talking honest people in my view, which I found refreshing.

Bedfords at Birstal? That's the job my mate is doing for £6.68, I did night work on agency for them 2 yrs back for 11 an hour, but it is now a fast downward spiral to the lowest rate possible, and that's before the Romanians and Bulgarians arrive.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:13 am
Just Joined

dirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nice

I've been a driver at Watt & Stewart for 14 months, and some of the comments I have read on here with the exception of Mick are bull****. These guys we work for are honest people who take care of their drivers, families and equipment.
We get plenty of miles and are never put under pressure from anyone. The dispatch guys are very accommodating and they are never hassling the drivers. We operate on Elogs and to be honest I wouldn't work for anyone else.
Grimmie if your Oversize loads are paying .50 cpm then happy days for your guys.
The advert placed is a generic advert as used by most long haul companies seeking temporary foreign workers as I think we all know.

We do have quite a few Canadian drivers who enjoy the work and the people they work for, with this company you are a person and not a number, what more can I say.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

As I keep saying no mention of foreign workers in the ad , It's not a generic ad thats for sure .

Come back in 14 months and tell us you are still working there (if you have PR )

Nobody as said anything bad about W&S , So why so defensive ?

The whole point of the thread (which you have obviously missed ) Is the average hourly rate Mick had posted some time ago and the wages posted in the ad , We got to the reality of the job which Mick more or less agreed with.

Oh and its Gremmie not Grimmie

Nothing more to say is there ?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:54 am
Just Joined

dirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nice

The advert is generic, if you look at say H & R advert is nearly word for word the same. I'm not defensive just know a good company when I see one, oh and yes I will be back on here in another 14 months still singing the same song!
Mick based all that on his own experience which all you guys just look for is an axe to grind that's why a lot of guys like me do not always show our faces on here.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dirtytrucker, nobody is slating the company, generic ad or no, it's the company that are advertising the rates/hrs and even you must admit that it sounds s--t.
Why would any company advertise those wages if they are paying so much more ?
One thing I do give W&S credit for is they do say it is a 70hr week unlike Bison that advertise for long-haul drivers $56k for a 40hr week.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
Good for your lads Gremmie, do they keep moving all the time?
Yes, I keep them moving no matter how many axels
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:19 am
Just Joined

spike50 will become famous soon enough

just spotted this thread, can anyone tell me if nick still works here ?
i worked with him in uk when we were both o/ds him doing morroco me spain , any info ,
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spike50
just spotted this thread, can anyone tell me if nick still works here ?
i worked with him in uk when we were both o/ds him doing morroco me spain , any info ,
He is at Searcy in Winnipeg now. Too much aggro in Alberta for PR
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alandoug
He is at Searcy in Winnipeg now. Too much aggro in Alberta for PR
thanks for that, are you still in touch with him ?
ill try to look him up there if possible
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

Ok guys. I believe you dont help to other UK drivers to decide to go or not to go to Canada.
I work in Timeline logistic in Saskatoon and I am happy over here. W and S drivers wrote here that they are happy there as well. I read some ad from Westcan driver that he is happy there too. That is great, dont you think so?

How many drivers working in UK can say that?

So if you are driver looking for job in Canada, there is a reason to try it. Doesnt matter where you go. Timeline has got LMO´s now, W and S have got some as well. I dont know about Westcan but they might have some too.

The job with flat deck is not easy, but I can cope with that. It is much easier then delivering wholesale markets around UK with a fridge box and trying to pull out broken pallets or picking up all the boxes that fell down becouse the pallet has collapsed.

I dont know how expensive is to live in Canada becouse all my money stay in my pocket. I dont have to pay rent and bills...I am single so I dont need anything. Everything I need is holiday and travel around. I am waiting for better weather now :-) I love mountains and I dont want to die under avalanche :-)
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Milanuk
Ok guys. I believe you dont help to other UK drivers to decide to go or not to go to Canada.
I work in Timeline logistic in Saskatoon and I am happy over here. W and S drivers wrote here that they are happy there as well. I read some ad from Westcan driver that he is happy there too. That is great, dont you think so?

How many drivers working in UK can say that?

So if you are driver looking for job in Canada, there is a reason to try it. Doesnt matter where you go. Timeline has got LMO´s now, W and S have got some as well. I dont know about Westcan but they might have some too.

The job with flat deck is not easy, but I can cope with that. It is much easier then delivering wholesale markets around UK with a fridge box and trying to pull out broken pallets or picking up all the boxes that fell down becouse the pallet has collapsed.

I dont know how expensive is to live in Canada becouse all my money stay in my pocket. I dont have to pay rent and bills...I am single so I dont need anything. Everything I need is holiday and travel around. I am waiting for better weather now :-) I love mountains and I dont want to die under avalanche :-)
so you dont rent or own a property? you live in the lorry all the time? dont you need a postal address for bank accounts and things like that?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

Off course I have got addresse here. But I dont live there :-)

Yes, I live in the truck. And good thing in our company is that we have got all facilities in the building where our company stays. We have got clean bathroom with shower corner, washing mashinge, dryer etc. Kitchen with tabel etc, microwawe, cooker etc...
so everything we need is there. I only work and make 36 break when I have to. Sometimes it is in states, sometimes it is in our yard in Saskatoon.

I might find myself a flat or room but I am here just a few months so it is better for me like that for now becouse I can save all money that I earn over here. This is another good thing in Timeline. They help you here.

One of many reasons why I came here is becouse I love to travel. I love mountains and nature and I know that nature in Canada is beautifull. I would like to have 3 weeks holiday every three months but now I want to work first six months then apply for PR and then I want to go on holiday. I can not work all the time. I would become crazy if I do it like that :-)
I would like to visit Canadian rockies, Alaska and do a trip around USA and visit their national parks. I believe I can do it.

I dont know what will happen and I dont know how long time I stay but as soon as I findt more I will post it here to let others know.
It is difficult to say after few months if I stay here forever. But I like it here, that is true.
My friend works here since spring time and he is about to bring his wife and children over here this Christmas. He works here 8 months and he enjoys it so now he can prepare his family to come over.
I dont have to sort this out. But these things make me feel that this wasnt a bad choice :-)
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spike50
thanks for that, are you still in touch with him ?
ill try to look him up there if possible
Only via Facebook, he is not that hard to find. If you need a link, let me lnow
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:04 am
Just Joined

yeah if you could give me a link that would be great , me and puters arent that good together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.