Wages for Truckers

Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wages for Truckers

Originally Posted by denmac37
Hi Denise and Karla
The wife cousins live in winnipeg they both work for Bison and I am sure they pick up more than $1500 per fortnight get hubby to look at them. I believe they are a good company to work for .I can always give you there emails if you want to know more from the horses mouth so to speak.
Den
Thanks very much, but my husband and I have decided that Yanke is best for us. The people who we are going to meet next week seem nice - but only time will tell. "Watch This Space".
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by denisedalgetty
Hi Karla

We moved to Manitoba last August, my husband is a truck driver and he works flat out for 10 days at a time has 2 days off and he's back out again. It is physically impossible for him to cover any more miles than he already does, and he takes home around $1500 per fortnight.

Unfortunately, the wages dont reflect the cost of living and we are living from pay cheque to pay cheque. In fact we are struggling so much financially that we are seriously considering returning to the UK. I don't even have spare cash to buy my children new socks let alone anything else. We literally pay the bills buy the food and the money has gone.

We came here with $23000 and shipped over our personal belongings in a 20' container. The only things we need to replace when we arrived was electrical goods and a car. Most people I have met from the UK seem to be dipping into their savings because the wages just aren't covering their living expenses.

If we return to the UK we have nothing, if we stay in Canada we will end up destitute.

I am sorry for sounding negative but unless you have lots of money to bring out here with you as a back up then I would seriously think twice about coming at all.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. We are coming to Canada with £35,000 and we are hoping that this will make life alittle easier for us. We know that this amount will not last long - maybe 2-3 months, but it will be enough to set intial things up. We are visiting Canada next Sunday for a week - so hopefully I can scout about and look into what the cost of living is really like.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Which trucking company in Manitoba is your OH working for?
Westcan Bulk Transport advise UK families to bring at least £30 grand in savings with them to "tide" them over for the first year until they get establised etc!!!!!!
There seems to be something badly wrong that your OH is only earning $700/week!!!!!!
Simple math is $700X 35cents/mile = 2000 miles/week,
so for driving 7 days your husband is only getting around 285 miles/day?!!!!!!!

Good point Big Truck!

My friends husband works for Yanke and is part of a driving team and her husband brings in £2100 at least every 2 weeks (he is out 10 days and off for 4).
I would also like to know what company he works for.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

jaydog68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karla
Was that 2100 dollars or pounds every fortnight with Yanke?

Good luck next week by the way!!

Jayne
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:50 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the same maths for working in the US and the pay isn't any better.

So how do truckers support themselves? The only way I see is if they have no family, or if they are married and their wives work and make a decent wage of their own.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by karla03
Thanks very much, but my husband and I have decided that Yanke is best for us. The people who we are going to meet next week seem nice - but only time will tell. "Watch This Space".
Make sure you check out other trucking companies on your research trip and don't just decide "its Yanke or bust",
I have yet to read a good report about working for Yanke!!!!!
The main problem seems to be the team driving ("double manning" in UK speak),the truck has to be kept moving virtually 24/7 and your OH will have to sleep in a truck that is being driven by somebody he dos'nt know that well.
Bear in mind that N.American trucks are somewhat "agricultural" in their driving performance and the fact that there is alot of "winter" driving means that getting any sleep at all is sometimes hard!!!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Good point Big Truck!

My friends husband works for Yanke and is part of a driving team and her husband brings in £2100 at least every 2 weeks (he is out 10 days and off for 4).
I would also like to know what company he works for.
£2100/fortnight, £1050/week, £54600/year approx $118500cdn/year,
Sorry but,
your friends husband is obviously the best paid trucker in Canada (but he never gets home) or he likes to tell PORKIES!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaydog68
Hi Karla
Was that 2100 dollars or pounds every fortnight with Yanke?

Good luck next week by the way!!

Jayne
hi Jayne - it was dollars.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Truck
£2100/fortnight, £1050/week, £54600/year approx $118500cdn/year,
Sorry but,
your friends husband is obviously the best paid trucker in Canada (but he never gets home) or he likes to tell PORKIES!!!!!!!!
I can only repeat what I have been told. I don't know for myself, but I will find out on my trip.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future
Post Re: Wages for Truckers

Hi Karla,
I have a second interview with Yanke in the next month or so in the UK, they are coming to Birmingham. ( Dates to follow )
I dont know about you but i have heard so much of both good and bad about Yanke / Transx / and the likes that its any wonder they have any drivers go there. I myself will be going there if i get thru the relevant stages as life here cant be anyworse than over there as for the cost of living.
Also i will be driving as a team or double man as they say here and unfortunately my friend cant come at the moment ( at least two years ) so will be happy to meet and greet with anyone doing the same, just a thought.

Best of luck LOAFY
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loafy
Hi Karla,
I have a second interview with Yanke in the next month or so in the UK, they are coming to Birmingham. ( Dates to follow )
I dont know about you but i have heard so much of both good and bad about Yanke / Transx / and the likes that its any wonder they have any drivers go there. I myself will be going there if i get thru the relevant stages as life here cant be anyworse than over there as for the cost of living.
Also i will be driving as a team or double man as they say here and unfortunately my friend cant come at the moment ( at least two years ) so will be happy to meet and greet with anyone doing the same, just a thought.

Best of luck LOAFY
Hiya Loafy,

My husband and I will also be going with Yanke if he passes the second interview next Tuesday in Canada. Sara - the fleet recruiter, has asked us all to attend as they are big on familys. Every firm is bound to have good and bad stories - thats life. But it is true what you say - it could not be worse than here.

My husband is a Proud Welsh Man too and is from Merthyr Tydfil. It would be great to meet people who are in the same boat as ourselves.

I think Sara said the interviews in the UK are at the end of May.

Well all the best for the interview and I will let you know how our trip to Yanke goes. By the way, what area in Canada would you like to be based?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

I think Sara said the interviews in the UK are at the end of May.

Well all the best for the interview and I will let you know how our trip to Yanke goes. By the way, what area in Canada would you like to be based?

Hi Karla,
Yeah i got that impresion that it would be the end of May.
Hope everything goes great out there thou shouldnt be a prob as i did this a year ago for another company but had to let it go, some drivers lied about there experience and that meant they changed there program and that put more on my budget than i needed. If you have a good record and can prove your on the road experience and been a good girl and boy you wont have a prob LOL.
Keep in touch as i will be really interested in how it goes for you if you want you cam pm me and exchange Tel no to chat about them.
OOOH so secret as well wonder why that is, always gets me that no one will actually say what the earnings potential is for these types of jobs in Canada.
Never mind best of luck
LOAFY...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loafy
OOOH so secret as well wonder why that is, always gets me that no one will actually say what the earnings potential is for these types of jobs in Canada.
Some trucks have signs on the back "earn up to 48 cents a mile driving for us". I suppose the 48 cents is for driving a load of dynamite on Christmas Day but, if it were true, that would suggest that it's possible to make $60,000.

The government thinks $35,000 is more usual:

http://saskjobfutures.ca/profiles/pr...oc=7411&lang=e

That is not a lot of money.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right, I have just come off the phone to a woman who's husband works for Yanke in Regina. She and her family moved out there 3 years ago and she says her husbands monthly wage was $2700 for last month.

Her husband is away for 14 days and is part of a driving team. She says that the work is long and hard, but they would never change anything about moving to Canada. Yanke offer safety bonus's - which she says are a nice little sum. They also provide meal allowance if you are out for more than 10 days.

Yanke offer 3 weeks holidays and it slowly grows the longer you are with the company. They also don't force you to wear the uniform - she says her husband wears his own clothes.

Well I hope this helps anyone wanting to know alittle more about Yanke. If there are any questions you would like answered, then please just contact me and I will ask her.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right, I have just come off the phone to a woman who's husband works for Yanke in Regina. She and her family moved out there 3 years ago and she says her husbands monthly wage was $2700 for last month.

Her husband is away for 14 days and is part of a driving team. She says that the work is long and hard, but they would never change anything about moving to Canada. Yanke offer safety bonus's - which she says are a nice little sum. They also provide meal allowance if you are out for more than 10 days.

Yanke offer 3 weeks holidays and it slowly grows the longer you are with the company. They also don't force you to wear the uniform - she says her husband wears his own clothes.

Well I hope this helps anyone wanting to know alittle more about Yanke. If there are any questions you would like answered, then please just contact me and I will ask her.
Karla your a star ,
Soz i forgot to tell you it will be Regina i will be based at but all the training will be at there head quarters in Saskatoon (what a name for a place eh) looks kewl thou.
Got my dog from Merthyr a nice English Bull Terrier called Burt.
I take it you dont live in Wales now nice and sunny at the mo but bound to rain at some point it has to its Wales.
Thanks again LOAFY...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.