Wages for Truckers

Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future
Default Wages for Truckers

Right here goes.....................!

As many know, I am off to Canada in the next 3 weeks for a research trip. We are going to Saskatchewan and are hoping to settle there if my husband recieves a job offer from a trucking firm. The only problem that I have at the minute is the cost of living in Canada.

I was on this website for 3 hours last night reading thread after thread (many had me in fits of laughter) but I noticed the wages which are promised by the trucking companies don't add up to the fortnightly payments. One said that her husband was on $50 k a year and her husband fortnightly payments we're $1500 after tax. She said that it added upto $40 k - which is a big difference.

I know that the harder you work and longer you are away, the more you get paid. My husband currently works 6 days a week and works from 5 am till 5 pm or later - some might say that he is a workaholic, but he works hard for a decent wage. He is paid £32,500 per year ($73,550) and this is including at least 35 hours overtime per month. Some might say that this is great - but our quality of life is not very good, this is why we want to move to Canada.

My fear is that we are not going to be able to cope on his wage in Canada as I am not too sure on the cost of living in SK. We don't have much money to splash out now - so it's not like we are use to doing this and I always budget our shopping fund and I only buy clothes and shoes for my family if they need them.

If anyone could help, then I would be grateful. I have read alot about the cost of living in Calgary, Vancouver and Torronto and I was wondering if Saskatoon/Moose Jaw or Regina is the same.

Our main reason for moving to Canada is to have a better family life and a better quality of life. I know money is not suppose to be a main factor - but everyone has to be able to afford food and somewhere to live.

If you can help, I'd be grateful x x x x x

(I know this is posted somewhere else - this is thanks to my husband!!!!!!)
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice
Default Re: Wages for Truckers

Originally Posted by karla03

As many know, I am off to Canada in the next 3 weeks for a research trip. We are going to Saskatchewan and are hoping to settle there if my husband recieves a job offer from a trucking firm. The only problem that I have at the minute is the cost of living in Canada.

I was on this website for 3 hours last night reading thread after thread (many had me in fits of laughter) but I noticed the wages which are promised by the trucking companies don't add up to the fortnightly payments. One said that her husband was on $50 k a year and her husband fortnightly payments we're $1500 after tax. She said that it added upto $40 k - which is a big difference.

I know that the harder you work and longer you are away, the more you get paid. My husband currently works 6 days a week and works from 5 am till 5 pm or later - some might say that he is a workaholic, but he works hard for a decent wage. He is paid £32,500 per year ($73,550) and this is including at least 35 hours overtime per month. Some might say that this is great - but our quality of life is not very good, this is why we want to move to Canada.

My fear is that we are not going to be able to cope on his wage in Canada as I am not too sure on the cost of living in SK. We don't have much money to splash out now - so it's not like we are use to doing this and I always budget our shopping fund and I only buy clothes and shoes for my family if they need them.

If anyone could help, then I would be grateful. I have read alot about the cost of living in Calgary, Vancouver and Torronto and I was wondering if Saskatoon/Moose Jaw or Regina is the same.

Our main reason for moving to Canada is to have a better family life and a better quality of life. I know money is not suppose to be a main factor - but everyone has to be able to afford food and somewhere to live.

Hi there,

This http://www.sreda.com/docs/communicat...%20Revised.pdf might give you an idea about the costs associated with life in Saskatoon.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Hi there,

This http://www.sreda.com/docs/communicat...%20Revised.pdf might give you an idea about the costs associated with life in Saskatoon.
Oh, and people living in other provinces might want to read this too, just to confirm/deny the claims therein.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Hi there,

Thank you very much for the info.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:41 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

One point to remember with truckers pay is that its based on the miles driven, and not a fixed wage, and there's no overtime. So if you don't get the miles, you don't get the pay.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
One point to remember with truckers pay is that its based on the miles driven, and not a fixed wage, and there's no overtime. So if you don't get the miles, you don't get the pay.
Thats fair enough. My husband will be away from 10 -15 days at a time and we know that he will not get paid if he is not driving - but do some companies pay for loading/unloading? Waiting at the boarder, if there is a problem? etc etc?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thats fair enough. My husband will be away from 10 -15 days at a time and we know that he will not get paid if he is not driving - but do some companies pay for loading/unloading? Waiting at the boarder, if there is a problem? etc etc?
I guess we will have to wait and see what they are offering when we go for a visit and my husband has his interviews
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

Karla
I've been looking at a few truck company websites to get some ideas as OH is a truck-driver and will be looking for work within the next year.

many of the sites list what they pay for (seem to be much more open than here, but then I've never looked at truck-driving jobs before!)
They tend to have a "Drivers" page which lists skills requirements, comp and bens and an application button.

take a look at this site (if you haven't already), and look at the company websites

http://www.canadiantruckers.com/map2.html

hope this helps
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thundercat600
Karla
I've been looking at a few truck company websites to get some ideas as OH is a truck-driver and will be looking for work within the next year.

many of the sites list what they pay for (seem to be much more open than here, but then I've never looked at truck-driving jobs before!)
They tend to have a "Drivers" page which lists skills requirements, comp and bens and an application button.

take a look at this site (if you haven't already), and look at the company websites

http://www.canadiantruckers.com/map2.html

hope this helps
Cheers x x x
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karla,
I think the wages do depend on what he is hauling , the experience
and qualification ie oil tickets . Here are the links from the job bank.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/ShowJob_en....ent&Student=No
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_e...t=No&PageNum=1
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_e...ent&Student=No
Hope that helps
Yoong
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yoong
Hi Karla,
I think the wages do depend on what he is hauling , the experience
and qualification ie oil tickets . Here are the links from the job bank.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/ShowJob_en....ent&Student=No
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_e...t=No&PageNum=1
Hope that helps
Yoong
Thanks Yoong x x x x x
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

denisedalgetty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karla

We moved to Manitoba last August, my husband is a truck driver and he works flat out for 10 days at a time has 2 days off and he's back out again. It is physically impossible for him to cover any more miles than he already does, and he takes home around $1500 per fortnight.

Unfortunately, the wages dont reflect the cost of living and we are living from pay cheque to pay cheque. In fact we are struggling so much financially that we are seriously considering returning to the UK. I don't even have spare cash to buy my children new socks let alone anything else. We literally pay the bills buy the food and the money has gone.

We came here with $23000 and shipped over our personal belongings in a 20' container. The only things we need to replace when we arrived was electrical goods and a car. Most people I have met from the UK seem to be dipping into their savings because the wages just aren't covering their living expenses.

If we return to the UK we have nothing, if we stay in Canada we will end up destitute.

I am sorry for sounding negative but unless you have lots of money to bring out here with you as a back up then I would seriously think twice about coming at all.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

denmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nicedenmac37 is just really nice

Originally Posted by denisedalgetty
Hi Karla

We moved to Manitoba last August, my husband is a truck driver and he works flat out for 10 days at a time has 2 days off and he's back out again. It is physically impossible for him to cover any more miles than he already does, and he takes home around $1500 per fortnight.

Unfortunately, the wages dont reflect the cost of living and we are living from pay cheque to pay cheque. In fact we are struggling so much financially that we are seriously considering returning to the UK. I don't even have spare cash to buy my children new socks let alone anything else. We literally pay the bills buy the food and the money has gone.

We came here with $23000 and shipped over our personal belongings in a 20' container. The only things we need to replace when we arrived was electrical goods and a car. Most people I have met from the UK seem to be dipping into their savings because the wages just aren't covering their living expenses.

If we return to the UK we have nothing, if we stay in Canada we will end up destitute.

I am sorry for sounding negative but unless you have lots of money to bring out here with you as a back up then I would seriously think twice about coming at all.
Hi Denise and Karla
The wife cousins live in winnipeg they both work for Bison and I am sure they pick up more than $1500 per fortnight get hubby to look at them. I believe they are a good company to work for .I can always give you there emails if you want to know more from the horses mouth so to speak.
Den
Old Apr 26th 2007, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Scotty1972 will become famous soon enoughScotty1972 will become famous soon enough

Hi Karla

Maybe if your driving long haul it can be tough, I ve heard some interesting stories. But if you do city work for companies like bridgebrand or become an owner operator you can earn some good money

rgds scotty
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Hi Karla

Which trucking company in Manitoba is your OH working for?
Westcan Bulk Transport advise UK families to bring at least £30 grand in savings with them to "tide" them over for the first year until they get establised etc!!!!!!
There seems to be something badly wrong that your OH is only earning $700/week!!!!!!
Simple math is $700X 35cents/mile = 2000 miles/week,
so for driving 7 days your husband is only getting around 285 miles/day?!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.