Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

URGENT-INTERVIEW WITH WESTCAN, ANY ADVICE...

URGENT-INTERVIEW WITH WESTCAN, ANY ADVICE...

Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:29 am
Just Joined

leavingcanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: URGENT-INTERVIEW WITH WESTCAN, ANY ADVICE...

i may be out of date on this guys,but i dont check on here very often. i work at westcan in saskatoon as a driver trainer and i am a brit. when i got offered a job in 2005 they sent my contract to england,i signed it and started the process to get mt letter from london to allow me and family entry to canada. we arrived at calgary airport and had a simple chat for about 10 minutes with immigration and they looked at the letter from london and issued our work permits etc. from the time i got that letter from london there was no pressure to get there..they said just let us know when you will be getting here and we go from there....i was offered another job but they told me when i would arrive...that wasnt going to work.
if you need info mail me as i am away on road all week and get to check mail on cell phone when not training drivers.

nigel
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

markoyl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

...its not bed of roses at WestCan believe me...there're always reasons why very few locals would work for these companies and immigrants is their best bet..

mark
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by markoyl
Hey

...its not bed of roses at WestCan believe me...there're always reasons why very few locals would work for these companies and immigrants is their best bet..

mark
Maybe the reason locals don't work for them is because they want to work Monday to Friday 9-5, that's why their us a massive shortage of drivers in Canada!!!!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Maybe the reason locals don't work for them is because they want to work Monday to Friday 9-5, that's why their us a massive shortage of drivers in Canada!!!!
It's the same in England! Just not as picturesque lorry driving is not viewed as a credible career anymore but without us joe public gets sweet fa in there supermarkets and what nots
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

In 2006 i went over to see westcan they paid for the flights and hotel.I watched a pretty boring DVD about westcan then went on the test drive.The guy who took me out said I was one of the best british drivers he had took out(I got my class1 in 1989) ,when I went back next day to go for pee test the knobhead in the office said i wasnt good enough and gave me $1600 (for flight and hotel) from his desk drawer ,it felt like a scam ,i know these LMO approved companies get money from the government to recruit overseas drivers,just got to be careful.I ended up in Winnipeg been here 6yrs driving long haul USA and Canada .
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by neilcumming
In 2006 i went over to see westcan they paid for the flights and hotel.I watched a pretty boring DVD about westcan then went on the test drive.The guy who took me out said I was one of the best british drivers he had took out(I got my class1 in 1989) ,when I went back next day to go for pee test the knobhead in the office said i wasnt good enough and gave me $1600 (for flight and hotel) from his desk drawer ,it felt like a scam ,i know these LMO approved companies get money from the government to recruit overseas drivers,just got to be careful.I ended up in Winnipeg been here 6yrs driving long haul USA and Canada .
Hi Neil, who is it you work for in winnipeg? If you don't mind me asking, if you don't want to post it on here you can dm me, I'm hoping to come out next year on a recce and move out about April 2015,(hopefully the snow will be gone by then ) can you recommend any good companies? Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Tinni is an unknown quantity at this point

To all you immigrant guys who work for Westcan I am wondering if you could answer a few Q's for me.
Do you go out of Province-across state? and have days/ weeks away?
I hear that some just run to fort mac and back and home every night?
How long till you can apply for permanent residency?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

They run western canada and northern territories,they dont go US.You would be days away not weeks thats long haul work.You might get lucky and land a local run home every night but being a newbie you get the runs nobody wants,hope that helps
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tinni
To all you immigrant guys who work for Westcan I am wondering if you could answer a few Q's for me.
Tinni
Just Joined

Hi
This is the gospel truth do not go to Westcan they lied to us and loads more brits to come to a wonderful life.We are now back in the uk as are many other drivers after losing £1,ooos.They lied about hours of work ,pay promise of sponsorship and lots more.I am in the process of building my life back.A total nightmare we moved in 2005 back in 2007 totally destroyed this company are corrupt beyond beleif.Any ex brits who went to westcan and are now back i need you to contact me through this site.I have info i am willing to share with you to prove that you didnt fail.They are total exploiters of foreign workers i have major evidence that will open a big can of worms.Westcan watch this space us brits want revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is your quote from 2008 I think you answer your own question!!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

spacemonkey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Tinni
Just Joined

Hi
This is the gospel truth do not go to Westcan they lied to us and loads more brits to come to a wonderful life.We are now back in the uk as are many other drivers after losing £1,ooos.They lied about hours of work ,pay promise of sponsorship and lots more.I am in the process of building my life back.A total nightmare we moved in 2005 back in 2007 totally destroyed this company are corrupt beyond beleif.Any ex brits who went to westcan and are now back i need you to contact me through this site.I have info i am willing to share with you to prove that you didnt fail.They are total exploiters of foreign workers i have major evidence that will open a big can of worms.Westcan watch this space us brits want revenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is your quote from 2008 I think you answer your own question!!
I have to admit the postings of this person are somewhat confusing. They also claim to have been sacked by Westcan after 7 months yet stayed in Canada for two years.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spacemonkey
I have to admit the postings of this person are somewhat confusing. They also claim to have been sacked by Westcan after 7 months yet stayed in Canada for two years.
Shadey!!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Shady? the only thing shady is westcan. The reason we stayed in Canada is that the pnp office helped us get our papers (PR) why? because we had evidence in black and white the westcan were corrupt. Yes my hubby was sacked after 7 months with what they called "just cause" which means a justified reason.....BS! We asked too many q's and they got rid. But the evidence we had we took to the PNP office and they told us to " keep our mouths shut!" and they sorted it all out allowing us to stay. However, after all the crap and loss of money we had to endure we felt we could never be happy in Canada and not trust people after all we were screwed over big time. Everyone has a different experience I guess we were just unlucky. All I know is that westcan at the time we were there messed up some peoples lives with their lies. I am sure they will get their " just desserts".
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Shady? the only thing shady is westcan. The reason we stayed in Canada is that the pnp office helped us get our papers (PR) why? because we had evidence in black and white the westcan were corrupt. Yes my hubby was sacked after 7 months with what they called "just cause" which means a justified reason.....BS! We asked too many q's and they got rid. But the evidence we had we took to the PNP office and they told us to " keep our mouths shut!" and they sorted it all out allowing us to stay. However, after all the crap and loss of money we had to endure we felt we could never be happy in Canada and not trust people after all we were screwed over big time. Everyone has a different experience I guess we were just unlucky. All I know is that westcan at the time we were there messed up some peoples lives with their lies. I am sure they will get their " just desserts".

If you know hate westcan so much why post this thread yesterday?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

The reason I posted the q's yesterday are a private matter. I know the answers to all of them that's all people on here need to know. It may not make sense but it will.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

The reason I posted the q's yesterday are a private matter. I know the answers to all of them that's all people on here need to know. It may not make sense but it will.
All I can say from my experience, is that I run SK, BC, and NWT out of AB and Westcan have been good to me and also to a lot of other foreign workers at my terminal, and I have only seen one gu get sacked and that was because he totally messed up!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.