Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Old Oct 19th 2007, 10:12 pm
PREPARED

pete d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Originally Posted by loafy
Well folks me and Chris 12 have been here at Seafood Express on Prince Edward Island Atlantic Canada for over a month now and have to say things are great and true to his word Robin Roach has been a star. Everything he has told me and others is what you get, no bull, he admits that they are not perfect all the time but do try to do their best to make life here and on the road an enjoyable experience.
They don't do all the bells and Whistles like the big firms but what you do get is a more formal relaxed feeling around the place making you feel at home from the start. You meet everyone their from Bill Keith the Boss and owner of Seafood express to the Despatchers and mechanics on a daily basis. Everyone here is friendly and genuinely pleased to see you and ask how you are doing and getting on.
You will more than likely be collected by Robin Roach at the airport who will then take you back to PEI.
On arrival at Halifax you apply for your 2 year work permit which is done within the hour and not on a PNP which you apply for at a later date.
It is best in my opinion that you get accommodation before you leave the UK which we did, Details of a very good Rental Company is available on request. We managed to secure a 2 bedroomed fully furnished apartment which is of very good spec including Electric, Hot Water,
Heating, Cable TV, and a Phone for local calls only all for $1180 a month which divided by the two of us is £295 a month. They do short rentals of six months at a time unless you require more.

This is a small company of 42 Trucks which range from the new fleet of 24 Peterbilts and a mix of Freightliners and the older stock of Volvo's which are being replaced by the Peterbilts. They change 10 trucks for new ones every year the oldest on the fleet being 3 years old.
You pay for your flight out but get that back after three months.

They mostly run down the eastern Seaboard to Delaware and back to PEI, and they do what they call the Triangle which is anything in or around that area and up to Toronto and then to Moncton and then home which is around a six day trip and the Delaware trip which should only take you around 3 1/2 days unless you catch a weekend.
They pay 32Cents a mile but considering the time that you are away on the short runs and if you take the mminimum of 36 off you could get 2 trips in 8 days. They pay a quarterly Bonus which is achievable and their is no pushing you to go out as soon as you can. Obviously you need to roll to earn the money but if it's time off you need they will accommodate The long haul trucks are for that purpose and dont slip seat those with anyone if their is a load needed to be delivered they have a fleet of local ones for that so when you get your own truck you can put what you want in and know that it will be their when you come back.

Things to do when you get here.

1. Bank Account.
2. UK car Licence change.
3. Apply for SIN Number (Takes all of ten mins )
4. Air Brake Test. ( Copy of Book Supplied by Robin )
5. Take Pre Check test and road test.

After you have a full class 1 Canadian Licence you then go out with another Seafood driver in separate trucks. No double manning here. Normally this is to guide you through Border crossings, Toll Booths, and general paperwork on the way plus orientation. This you can do until you are completely confident with the routine of things of driving OTR.

If you decide to come out to PEI and Seafood Express be prepared to bring enough money to last you for the minimum of 5 weeks and an average of 8, this is all dependant on when you can get your tests booked for both the Air Brake and Class 1 tests.
Me and Chris were both out earning 2 days after our test and we did it in just under a month.

So far things here have been great in and around the Island, everyone is friendly and helpful. As soon as they here your accent they want to talk to you but most think you are either from Australia or Ireland for some reason and Chris is a Brummie and im from Cardiff.
Bought a car and a house each with land all in this time which has not been a problem at all.
If you come accros problems your first port of call is robin who will answer if he can but if he doesn't he will find someone that does or at least a contact number were you might get help.

Robin Roach can be contacted at Seafood Express on
Tel: 001 902 892 0060
He will more than likely give you his MSN address which you can talk to him online about anything here.
Any concerns can be directed to me Loafy or Chris12 on here or direct to Robin Roach.

http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/news/fea...kers070820.wmv
GREAT PICS
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point

makes you wonder at what point they simply can't hire anymore drivers? many including myself have all but decided on pei but no good if theres no jobs going!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Bloody hell Loafy thats a suprise!!!
From Trans-X to Yanke then H+R in the prairies and finally the other side of Canada to Sea-Food in PEI!!!!
Everything sounds good apart from the 32c/mile,are you getting enough miles driving the triangle area and what is the pay for the "extra's"?
Also the fact that they only have 42 trucks yet every UK guy who applies gets a job,are there any natural Canadians driving for them on long haul at all?
I knew this long ago,but wasnt allowed to tell
Good luck to you both
Old Oct 20th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Scott66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paulburt
makes you wonder at what point they simply can't hire anymore drivers? many including myself have all but decided on pei but no good if theres no jobs going!
You are exactly correct there

Isn't this just like some of the other threads once someone decides to go some where EVERYONE IS GOING THERE !!!

Gremmie mentioned this in some of his posts its just like sheep....the last time I was on here when I get the chance to post with being away all the time the flavour of the month was RJ Hoffman because of BLAH BLAH BLAH

What about all the other companies throughout Canada can no one think for themselves anymore....Winnipeg is an excellent city with excellent companies and affordable housing with massive facilities

As is Stienbach and all round that area.

If you want good trucking advice then you need to look at the trucking forums as Big Truck has mentioned. On there are Canadian truckers & Ex-Pats who have been there for years....Open your eyes guys try think for yourself, ask them questions they will be only too glad to help.

Similar cost of housing and diff in wages = 0.32 PEI ------ 0.40 / 0.42 Winnipeg.

Last edited by Scott66; Oct 20th 2007 at 10:11 am.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

chris12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I knew this long ago,but wasnt allowed to tell
Good luck to you both
Hi gremmie,

thanks for the good wishes, as you know only a selected few knew where we were. But i have to say i think some people on this thread already think this is a recruitment drive. IT'S NOT. The reason for this thread is to let people know what we're upto and how we are getting on. Loafy put in the details so if people want they can get in touch with us or seafood themselves to ask questions. Men on the ground so to speak. any how we're both out this afternoon on the way to Willmington in Delaware so we'll keep you all posted along the way.

Chris12.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
Nice to see your post, have been looking out for it.

You have finally confessed.

Behave yourself tomorrow with my hubby and we will have a few drinks at ours soon.

Can I have your autograph now, I think you became quite a celebrity with your disappearing act

Kerry.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Kerry,
I know you've been living in PEI for a while now,can I ask you how you've found the climate?
Its just reading the main PEI Gov webite/CIC climate reports for PEI it sounds as if there is no real Spring to talk of, really just a long winter but with a reasonably warm Summer and a wonderful Fall.
It also sounds as if the weather changes on the island more often than the UK if thats possible!!!
Do you reckon the weather in Nova Scotia would have the four seasons more defined although not as exteme in Winter/Summer as the prairie provinces?
Also is there much for the "wifey" to "content" herself with two toddlers while Hubby would be "munching" the miles for 4/5/6 days away?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Paul,

Just to let you know there is a massive shortage of drivers across Canada. A lot of youngsters leave the island to go west for better money, Me and Loafy opted for seafood simply because of the personal touch ie msn anytime contact with Robin Any questions were answerd.and it's not so vast as the other provinces over here so the transition isn't so bad.. and i can't really see the point in being away from the wife and kids for 17 days or so when i can roughly earn the equivelant money over 5 to 6 days away. If you have any questions of concerns ring Robin at seafood he is quite approachable.

Chris12
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scott66
You are exactly correct there

Isn't this just like some of the other threads once someone decides to go some where EVERYONE IS GOING THERE !!!

Gremmie mentioned this in some of his posts its just like sheep....the last time I was on here when I get the chance to post with being away all the time the flavour of the month was RJ Hoffman because of BLAH BLAH BLAH

What about all the other companies throughout Canada can no one think for themselves anymore....Winnipeg is an excellent city with excellent companies and affordable housing with massive facilities

If you want good trucking advice then you need to look at the trucking forums as Big Truck has mentioned. On there are Canadian truckers & Ex-Pats who have been there for years....Open your eyes guys try think for yourself, ask them questions they will be only too glad to help.

Similar cost of housing and diff in wages = 0.32 PEI ------ 0.40 / 0.42 Winnipeg.

THIS IS NOT A RECRUITMENT DRIVE....

All this thread is for is questions and answers and some personal experience of Canada. Thanks for reading it anyway......

Chris12
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Hi Big Truck

We arrived on the 1st of June and it was straight into shorts and t-shirts. I don't know how long it had been warm for but it was defo summer at that point, the neighbours had a pool up and were using it all the time.

We have rain today and it looks set to stay, however this is the first day in about a month that it has been like this, I have no doubt it will get steadily worse but they are equipped to deal with the weather.

We were here in feb and it was cold but as soon as it snowed the roads and paths were clear. There were mounds of snow at the sides of the road but it was not a problem. The weather has only just turned , we had a bbq yesterday as it was so warm. I have now seen some of the winter, experienced the summer and fall and cannot decide which one I like most.

There will be plenty to keep your family busy, I have got the boys involved in ice skating at the local rink, there are toddler groups, indoor swimming pools, playcentres , cinemas and parks all over the place.

Hope this helps

Last edited by lilacheart; Oct 20th 2007 at 12:45 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Thank you very much,
yes it has.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

QUOTE "You are exactly correct there

Similar cost of housing and diff in wages = 0.32 PEI ------ 0.40 / 0.42 Winnipeg. " QUOTE

I think Chris and loafy just wanted to put a positive post on here. As you can see from previous threads they were missed and people were genuinely curious to know how they were doing.

Seafood do not need to recruit through this site and it is unfair to think that grown men can be manipulated into " selling" their new job to perspective employees.

At least they had the balls to come out and have a look , they are not passing judgement from their armchairs in the UK .

</IMG></IMG>

Last edited by lilacheart; Oct 20th 2007 at 4:28 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

my post wasn't meant as a pop at anybody, far from it! but the fact is if seafood only run 42 wagons then they surely can't be continually hiring drivers even if there is a shortage locally? not wanting to pee on anyones fire just trying to look at things logically thats all, my thoughts are based on what i know which is how things are in the uk not canada, here a company maybe wins a new contract and in turn needs, say twenty new drivers but once those positions are filled it's back to a case of one out, one in, maybe things are different over there and theres haulage that's simply going begging because no firm can cover the loads?
nothing to do with jumping on any bandwagon just purely an observation that some having made a choice on where they'd like to live maybe dissapointed to find that the job no longer exists, or at least not at a time they wont to go.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris12
Hi Paul,

Just to let you know there is a massive shortage of drivers across Canada. A lot of youngsters leave the island to go west for better money, Me and Loafy opted for seafood simply because of the personal touch ie msn anytime contact with Robin Any questions were answerd.and it's not so vast as the other provinces over here so the transition isn't so bad.. and i can't really see the point in being away from the wife and kids for 17 days or so when i can roughly earn the equivelant money over 5 to 6 days away. If you have any questions of concerns ring Robin at seafood he is quite approachable.

Chris12
i've spoke to robin a few times and he comes across as a nice bloke that isn't trying to sell you something, merely "come and have a look and see what you think?" which at the end of the day is all you want.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

i've spoke to robin a few times and he comes across as a nice bloke that isn't trying to sell you something, merely "come and have a look and see what you think?" which at the end of the day is all you want.

No problem Paulburt, the response above from me was to the pervious poster (scott66)
I just think it is great to have positive posts on here.

Last edited by lilacheart; Oct 20th 2007 at 4:29 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Scott66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
No problem Paulburt, the response above from me was to the pervious poster (scott66)
I just think it is great to have positive posts on here.
OOOPS Sorry for the offence but you have to admit all depending on the flavour of the month is where BAA people on here tend to head for....these guys were going to Yanke....H&R and all over the gaff then end up on the other side of Canada.

One UK driver just does the frozen cargo down to Delaware and Bananas back in three half days and then has three half days off normally every trip and says he can live off that no problem. He and his family are well settled here and want for nothing.
I am sorry again but I really really can not see how you can live off these fig's.

That would mean he only works 16 days out of a 31 day month.

How many miles a day is that - even say at 600 that is 10hrs solid driving = approx $38.000 (£16.000) before Tax. Even at lower house prices I fail to see how single people let alone a family can live off that.
OK the houses are cheaper but you still have to stop converting into UK £ and the prices in Canada are more or less equal in $ to what we pay here in £ once you start earning $'s

Unless you go there & have no mortgage and a large savings account the fig's dont add up even the bloke in the TV trailer stated all the youngsters head off for better wages and the PEI immigration have put a bar on you applying for PNP for 6 months now because the majority of people are leaving once they get PR which they told me was because of the wages and PEI having one of the highest taxes in Canada they also told me when i saw them at the emmigrate expo that your partner CAN NOT work until you get PR so your are stuck on one wage until then which could take 12 months or more if things dont go smoothly.

What about:

Buying a car
White goods to replace
Shopping
Fuel - Household
Gas - Car = cheap $0.98 approx (yep give you that)
Health care insurance
Dental
clothing
House Hold Insurance
Electric
Car Insurance
Difficulty in gain proper credit (secure credit card but you still have to give them the money first)
Holidays (doubt it)
FLights back to UK in case of emergency
etc etc etc
Please don't take all the above the wrong way it is just what i have been told and found out.

& yes i have been out in Canada quite a few times travelling all over.

Last edited by Scott66; Oct 20th 2007 at 5:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.