Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Question for Brits trucking in Manitoba

Question for Brits trucking in Manitoba

Old Jan 20th 2015, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Brits trucking in Manitoba

just to let folk know class 6 is motor bike licence not a problem now as long as you had both pieces o your uk licence . exchange your licence uk--canadian
then the computer multi choice before you get your licence.class1 & air brake..Medical...then you get a prov class1 ,and yup the 2week rule is still force in MB.....lessons then pre trip/air brake practicle if you pass that then reverse part .then drive . there is no S part now on test in MB.(brake adjustment).
Old Jan 20th 2015, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
just to let folk know class 6 is motor bike licence not a problem now as long as you had both pieces o your uk licence . exchange your licence uk--canadian
then the computer multi choice before you get your licence.class1 & air brake..Medical...then you get a prov class1 ,and yup the 2week rule is still force in MB.....lessons then pre trip/air brake practicle if you pass that then reverse part .then drive . there is no S part now on test in MB.(brake adjustment).
They must have tightened up since i did it in 2005, i held on to my UK license till i had my airbrake and then my CDL pass, then i handed it all over including my UK license. A couple of friends didn't get their class 6 (bike) and i think at the time it boiled down to where you chose to actually surrender your UK license and pass papers,once you have surrendered your UK theres no going back to get that class 6 OR them taking it away, your
UK class 5 license was good for 90 days back then so i think thats how we all managed to hold onto it until we had passed everything.
Waiting 14 days between attempts will slow it all down lots, glad that wasn't the case when i did it.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

A UK truck driving licence is still good for 90 days in North America. Companies never confirm that fact because they think that some drivers would just do 90 days, have look round and go home without the hassle of passing a test. Companies prefer to get the drivers licence changed over ASAP and signed-up for wage deductions if they leave.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon
A UK truck driving licence is still good for 90 days in North America. Companies never confirm that fact because they think that some drivers would just do 90 days, have look round and go home without the hassle of passing a test. Companies prefer to get the drivers licence changed over ASAP and signed-up for wage deductions if they leave.
Not sure about a class 1 UK here but your class 5 is definitely good for 90 days.
I agree they probably encourage people to surrender their UK license immediately for the reasons you gave but that then makes you a Canadian driver subject to their laws regarding getting your air/theory and your class 1 driving test.
I was polite but i refused to surrender my UK license till i had my air/theory AND i had passed my class one, i did bomb the theory twice but i re sat it the next day, and in that same time frame i was having driving lessons hence 6 days and i was heading to Quebec with my first load.

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Jan 20th 2015 at 7:30 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

yup it was 90 days ,I seem to remember a certain MB company ran drivers on their uk licences ,then sent them for test.
A problem iirc were drivers at the company I was at that only did the bare minimum at school to pass , not a problem BUT couldn't do logbooks and were pulled of the road after a week and the company sent them to logbook school.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

My driving lessons were half days so by the time i passed i had done a log book class