Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

ok, so where do i start ???

ok, so where do i start ???

Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

HeadingNorth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ok, so where do i start ???

Originally Posted by kb33
Yeah they are the Marmite of Trucking companies , Some guys been there years , others hate them.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

That was fine by me , Only time I want to see the USA is when I'm on holiday .

Plus Westcan do a 6-3 shift now , So its maximum 5 nights away
Westcan do a 4/4,5/3 and a 5/2-5/3 schedule at most terminals now.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
Hey Kev I bet you may even think about going back to work there!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Hey Kev I bet you may even think about going back to work there!

Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Shame they have a no rider policy (unless it's a fellow employee).
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

fedupgb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mickfly
Shame they have a no rider policy (unless it's a fellow employee).
Leave the mrs at home then puts helmet on and hides incase she reads this
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

I did the 4/4 and still earned good money , Having worked for two other companies now and looking back , Westcan were pretty good

A bit over the top with health and safety , The money was good overall and as long as you flew the Westcan flag you were treated pretty well.

However if you dare to criticise them or there methods , they would turn on you and your cards were marked. They can be a bit short sighted and arrogant sometimes, ie When the reccession was on a couple of years ago (plenty of drivers about )they treated drivers like crap and binned you for things you would get slapped wrist for now. ( shortage of drivers )

Still the best company to come over with though , even if you have to live in SK for a couple of years -50 in winter ..... wtf
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

I did the 4/4 and still earned good money , Having worked for two other companies now and looking back , Westcan were pretty good

A bit over the top with health and safety , The money was good overall and as long as you flew the Westcan flag you were treated pretty well.

However if you dare to criticise them or there methods , they would turn on you and your cards were marked. They can be a bit short sighted and arrogant sometimes, ie When the reccession was on a couple of years ago (plenty of drivers about )they treated drivers like crap and binned you for things you would get slapped wrist for now. ( shortage of drivers )

Still the best company to come over with though , even if you have to live in SK for a couple of years -50 in winter ..... wtf
hi kb33, if you dont mind me asking what was u earning doing 4 on 4 off?
thanks.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grant r
thanks.
Oh, Oh, I know that one...... Canadian $
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by grant r
thanks.

Think I earned $65k that year , but there's potential to earn a fair bit more than that (ie work five days a week )
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Whilst there's someone around, can someone tell me if it is easy to renew an expired AB class 1 in another Province?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Do Westcan still "actively" recruit from the UK and do they have many LMO's to use?

Are they still using those 400hp trucks with B trains over the mountains?!!!!
Will they just not listen that a 600hp+ truck (driven properly) will give them far better fuel returns?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mickfly
Whilst there's someone around, can someone tell me if it is easy to renew an expired AB class 1 in another Province?
Ask your potential employer they should know

Just Googled it and found this :

# My licence has expired, do I have to take the road test again?

After your licence has expired, you have one year to renew it without having to re-qualify for your specific class of licence. Do not forget that it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle with an expired licence on public highways.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Do Westcan still "actively" recruit from the UK and do they have many LMO's to use?

Are they still using those 400hp trucks with B trains over the mountains?!!!!
Will they just not listen that a 600hp+ truck (driven properly) will give them far better fuel returns?
Why are you asking these questions ,?? You have no intention (or ever had ) of coming to Canada.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ask your potential employer they should know

Just Googled it and found this :Quote:
# My licence has expired, do I have to take the road test again?

After your licence has expired, you have one year to renew it without having to re-qualify for your specific class of licence. Do not forget that it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle with an expired licence on public highways.
I know how to renew it in AB, so the question is, can I do the same in any Province other than where I passed the test?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.