Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

My recent experience of work permits

My recent experience of work permits

Old Feb 4th 2015, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My recent experience of work permits

I started work for my present employer in March 2013. I applied for AINP in November 2013, it was granted in August 2014. The PR application was received by CIC in October 2014. I have heard nothing, not even a file number. My work permit expires in March 2015.

As I did not have my CIC file number I could not apply for a BOWP (bridging open work permit). My main concern was not letting my current work permit expire as even on "implied status" I could not run south into the US with an out of date work permit. My wife, who also drives a truck, was in the same position. She was on the open spousal work permit, which has since been discontinued in Alberta. We consulted an immigration lawyer on the best way forward in the light of all the recent changes to the TFW. We applied online in December for extensions to both work permits. Based solely on the nomination & with no LMIAs. We have BOTH got 2 year extensions which came through yesterday. Mine is employer specific, my wife's is open (women!, all the bloody luck). These should see us through to PR.

As a point to note all the guys working for the same company as myself WITHOUT nomination but with LMIAs, having already been there 2 years have now got new 2 year work permits. A number stayed in Canada on implied status while the applications went through. Nobody was sent home, unless they wanted to leave.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My recent experience of work permits

That's good news, well done on getting it sorted. It seems someone has applied a bit of common sense.
What is the percentage of foreign workers without PR at your place? Will that be a problem for those without nomination?
Old Feb 4th 2015, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Lou, well over 50%. But we are told so long as he says he'll pay $26 an hour he is in the high wage bracket & the 30% no longer applies.

It is a fact that all those he has got LMIAs for now have 2 year WPs. Even if NOT nominated.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

You must have been worried not hearing anything and thinking you may have to return to UK.Looks like someone at CIC is on the ball and has been alerted to the problem.It seems abit daft to me that there are so many job vacancies for drivers that canadians cant fill and they would be willing to send foreign drivers home.Good luck with the PR ,once you get that you can relax even more!
Old Feb 5th 2015, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Niel, just to clarify the line the company took. All the drivers whose original 2 year WP was about to, or had expired & wanted to stay. They all had LMIAs applied for, last year. They were allowed to work Canada only on "implied status", this meant they earnt peanuts, but they chose to wait. Only one decided to go back to UK.

As I pointed out in a previous post, they now all have new 2 year WPs
Old Feb 5th 2015, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Alan I went to MB and got my PR there.I had to put up with some crap from the company but not half as much as what I have heard from some companies in AB.
Have you read the thread below your thread about Westcan Bulk,absolute nightmare of a company to work for.
I just kept my head down,got on with the job ,did my own thing and soon as I got the PR I left and went with a better company.Thats the way it goes in Canada!
Old Feb 5th 2015, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alandoug
Lou, well over 50%. But we are told so long as he says he'll pay $26 an hour he is in the high wage bracket & the 30% no longer applies.

It is a fact that all those he has got LMIAs for now have 2 year WPs. Even if NOT nominated.
Are they actually paying you $26/hr start to finish, with overtime after 8 hrs or are you still on mileage pay ?
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neilg14
Are they actually paying you $26/hr start to finish, with overtime after 8 hrs or are you still on mileage pay ?
We are still on mileage pay, just how the sums work out is beyond me. But the powers that be seem satisfied with what the company has produced.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alandoug
We are still on mileage pay, just how the sums work out is beyond me. But the powers that be seem satisfied with what the company has produced.
I read on here awhile back that there's some formulae used for working it out, but that aside, at least you and others will be able to carry on now till PR without worrying.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Good news for all the guys who were worrying, it's about time some common sense was applied, let's hope it can be done at the other companies in AB.