long haul canada

Old May 7th 2015, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute
Default long haul canada

hi Guys new to forum , reposted this i think i posted it in the correct section this time
, I am thinking of going to canada on a temport work visa on the long with long haul trucking route with a view on getting PR through the PNP . mostly looking at Saskatchewan saskatoon area or maby prince edward island due to the shorter PNP times in both compaired to BC . I have 8 years long haul in uk . I would really like any up to date information or tips on companys to apply to or any general information to help me get a clearer picture . I think LMIA are a bit of a problem at the minute ? BISON in minatoba said they have none at this time . ( they replied same day to my email )
I am also in the process of getting a canadian working holiday visa from the cic as a soft of back up which should get me a open work visa ( i am 35 so just managed to get an irish one and i am half irish and have irish pasport ) . An companys to aim for or to avoid ? is any body even hireing at the moment ?

thanks
Old May 7th 2015, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: long haul canada

You should cross PEI off your list , very limited opportunities out there . LMIAs are the problem at the moment since the recent changes in immigration policy , might be worth chatting to the Saskatchewan Trucking Association for a few pointers . Welcome to the forum btw .
Old May 7th 2015, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello bigreduk, forget the LMIA route at the minute.
If you are talking about the IEC visa and you have one for 2 years, you do not need a LMIA, you can work for any company with that open WP.
As FTTM says above, PEI and the East coast is a lost cause as far as trucking goes, SK & MB are by far the easiest & quickest to get PR in.
After PR, you can go where you want.

Last edited by neilg14; May 7th 2015 at 2:58 pm.
Old May 9th 2015, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute

hello everyone thanyou for the great information it has really helped me out and answered the question i had .
Old May 10th 2015, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

As you are a lucky Irishman and get upto 35 for the IEC then i'd just make use of that for now, I missed it by 2months (31st birthday) due to my own stupidity. Subsequently I was lucky and managed to get a job offer with a company who had an LMIA back in March and my PNP application is going through at the moment with Manitoba immigration. It was difficult finding a job with one though, I trawled through the trucking websites for BC, AB and MB which all have very large job sections, calling and emailing companies. I got some leads for possible LMIAs in the future but nothing really concrete as nobody seems to know whats happening at the moment, lots of immigration changes there. Ayr motor express claimed to expect LMIAs by now but it looks like a job that runs you hard and pays low for the privilege, based in New Brunswick. H&R also made noises about having some in the future possibly and they don't have a bad reputation, just again you'll be worked hard and because they're based in AB you are at their mercy when it comes to sponsoring you for the Alberta PNP which has to be done by your employer.

I'd use your IEC to get over, get your licence and take some work in places you'd like to work in while the LMIA situation sorts itself out. Not sure how much work you can do on an IEC, some countries have limits for how long you can work for a single employer, not sure about Canada. Maybe if you do that in once province then you can prove work experience of 6months plus which could qualify you for PNP Experience class in BC or MB, not sure on other provinces.

Last edited by Kiowan; May 10th 2015 at 1:22 pm.
Old May 10th 2015, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

as neilg14,,,,, says plenty o companies hiring (no lmias though) in MB and remember you will be looked at as a rookie even if you have loads o experience from EU till you can prove yourself. mind though that you will need to exchange and then pass your class1A(other licences available lol) jimmy
Old May 11th 2015, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

You can try Edge in Saskatoon. They have LMIAs I think. They always have some.
I was on the Ice Roads with them this year. And all their drivers were mainly from Serbia and were hired last November or December. I dont know why but Edge always have some LMIA....but they dont pay as good as other companies.
And also their trucks are pretty old and breaking down all the time. But its a big company and you will always get paid on time.
I didnt stay with them after the Ice Roads because I would be doing exactly the same job like I did before ... but for less money :-) I found another job that suits me much better.
I use to work for Timeline Logistic in Saskatoon but they dont have LMIAs for sure. They pay better than Edge....in Saskatchewan you can change your job once you get your nomination (you should have it after 8 months....). So you could actually go to Timeline once you have your nomination. These are all long haul jobs. Living in the truck. No need to rent a place to live :-)