HGV Relocation package??

Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

bigboot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HGV Relocation package??

HI ALL,

Was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of companies that might provide a relocation package from the uk or even hiring LMOs for an HGV driver??

me, my wife and kids would really like to relocate to canada, possibly calgary. Im a trucker through and through and just burst at the idea of driving canadian wagons!!

if anyone could give me any pointers it would be much appreciated, as i have a family i wouldnt risk relocating without at least a job offer.

thanks all
bigboot
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HGV Relocation package??

I am going to move this to the trucking forum as I think you are more likely to gain responses there.

Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigboot
HI ALL,

Was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of companies that might provide a relocation package from the uk or even hiring LMOs for an HGV driver??

me, my wife and kids would really like to relocate to canada, possibly calgary. Im a trucker through and through and just burst at the idea of driving canadian wagons!!

if anyone could give me any pointers it would be much appreciated, as i have a family i wouldnt risk relocating without at least a job offer.

thanks all
bigboot
I would advise anyone who is thinking of making the leap to come over, to first come over on a research trip, and when I say research I mean research everything!!!!

Last edited by Smudger75; Apr 8th 2013 at 6:09 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:55 am
Just Joined

with researching people seem to be budgeting approx £20 - £25K to make the move to canada with a family so providing funds permitting i would love to come over and approach companies myself.

we are under no illusion that this is very long drawn out process with having to save also and admittedly im the type that wants everything yesterday lol.

i hear of success stories that companies help pay for relocation on job offer and others that say thats just not the case.

H&R keeps popping up everywhere with mixed reviews but if anyone could just give me the names of a couple of companies that might be worth while approaching?

clueless - bigboot
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Nikkinoo75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we originally looked at relocating to Calgary (my hubby is a HGV driver). We made a trip to Calgary in 2006 and loved it. We made the decision to go for it but came across a few hurdles. My hubby had interviews with a few Calgary based companies but we were jubious about the security of earnings once over there and also the fact that the jobs were long haul, meaning me and the kids would be left for up to 3/4 weeks at a time.

We had decided it probably wouldn't happen but hubby was told about the job at Loblaws in Saskatchewan. I was sceptical to start but once he'd been offered a job I did some research and discovered that the money is decent and the shifts are flexible, meaning he could be home everyday or away for 2/4 nights maximum. We have been in contact with people already out there, drivers and wives and everybody seems happy so far. My hubby is just waiting for his Temporary Work Permit to come through (hopefully any day now) and is hoping to be out there in May, the kids and I will follow in the summer holidays.

I am a little concerned about the weather as Saskatchewan is much colder than Calgary but it's just a way of life there! Apparently it is much easier to gain PR in Saskatchewan than Alberta and Loblaws have said that relocation to their Calgary base is possible in the future.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Nikkinoo75 is an unknown quantity at this point

I meant to add that we do not have the sort of funds that you have suggested to support our move but we do not in envisage it being a problem.

Last edited by Nikkinoo75; Apr 8th 2013 at 10:59 am. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

I meant research the country and make sure the province is right for you and your family. When you first move out here you will go through money like its water especially between the time you arrive and the time the wages start coming in. It's even harder in Saskatchewan because the partners aren't allowed an open work permit for the first twelve months! It's a rollercoaster of a ride but well worth it!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bigboot
HI ALL,

thanks all
bigboot
Unfortunately HGV driving is not a skilled job and no-one will offer you a re-location package, BUT you should, with the right credentials get a trucking job easy peasy.
If you can get there it would probably be a great place for your kids futures.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

hi thanx for the replies,

i thought trucking was in major group 73 of the NOC requirements. My wife did a quiz on eligibility and said we could enter on a possible quick pass which could take as little as 6mnths (not that we would be ready by then anyway lol).

my wife does all the research because i dont have a clue so i go on what she says. she looked into different areas and as stated above we realized she couldnt work straight away in particular areas, calgary exempt.

in regards to long haul i know it would be difficult her coming over with the kids and her being alone however i was in the army for 10years so we are used to being apart for months at a time and i already work, 60hrs one week 72 the next so it shudnt hopefully make much of a difference in that respect... in fact i think she feels like im an extra kid when im there!!

we didnt think we would need as much as £20K either (and to be honest we will have to wait along time before gathering that much) but iv read a few things on here and people seem to take offence when someone states they are bringing a family with less than that, suppose better safe than sorry.

can i ask NICKINOO75, how much where you thinking of budgeting, i no thats personal and you dont have to answer. and is the company your husband is going to work for going to help with your relocation??

thanx