Hello Canada

Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

where2now will become famous soon enough
Default Hello Canada

Hello from an interested newbie

I've lurked around a bit on the various forums and thought I'd say hi, having been around trucks in various roles all my life I've always had a wish to experience the job (class 1) in North America. Previously I've driven rigid, artic, flats, curtains, tilts and Euroliners on both local and long haul European ex Scotland.

Due to a relativeley recent change in circumstances I now have the time to give it a go, subject to the usual finding a job, where to go, will I and eventually the family enjoy, accept and fit into Canadian life etc....

With regard to job finding I've contacted the larger companies mentioned on the forum and had "we are currently not recruiting from overseas at the moment" response, I take on board the comments regarding knocking on doors in person and I'm looking into that at the moment.

I'm lucky to be married and have 3 kids 15, 13 and 11 and 2 dogs, having looked into the "PNP" program and the provinces that operate it I would be interested in views / opinions from anyone with a similar background on where they recommend and why? In Scotland my wife currently runs a pet care services business which provides dog walking and home boarding and we would prefer to be able to do this in Canada all going well so somewhere with this demand would be preferable.

Having talked over the options at home over the months we have agreed that all going well I would go across and work for 6 - 9mnths before the family would, to which they agreed, wonder if they wan't rid of me

Sorry for the longish first post with many questions, look forward to your comments thx.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello Canada

Originally Posted by where2now
Hello from an interested newbie

I've lurked around a bit on the various forums and thought I'd say hi, having been around trucks in various roles all my life I've always had a wish to experience the job (class 1) in North America. Previously I've driven rigid, artic, flats, curtains, tilts and Euroliners on both local and long haul European ex Scotland.

Due to a relativeley recent change in circumstances I now have the time to give it a go, subject to the usual finding a job, where to go, will I and eventually the family enjoy, accept and fit into Canadian life etc....

With regard to job finding I've contacted the larger companies mentioned on the forum and had "we are currently not recruiting from overseas at the moment" response, I take on board the comments regarding knocking on doors in person and I'm looking into that at the moment.

I'm lucky to be married and have 3 kids 15, 13 and 11 and 2 dogs, having looked into the "PNP" program and the provinces that operate it I would be interested in views / opinions from anyone with a similar background on where they recommend and why? In Scotland my wife currently runs a pet care services business which provides dog walking and home boarding and we would prefer to be able to do this in Canada all going well so somewhere with this demand would be preferable.

Having talked over the options at home over the months we have agreed that all going well I would go across and work for 6 - 9mnths before the family would, to which they agreed, wonder if they wan't rid of me

Sorry for the longish first post with many questions, look forward to your comments thx.
Well id say first step is to pick which province you wish to live in. and only you and ur family can decide that. then take it step by step.
bear in mind most provinces will not allow ur spouse to work till u get pr but rules keep changeing so ul just have to sit down and read all cic website and pnp and check it out and see which province fits you better.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

I would say the easier of the provinces to emigrate to are Manitoba and Saskatchewan .
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spockil
Well id say first step is to pick which province you wish to live in. and only you and ur family can decide that. then take it step by step.
bear in mind most provinces will not allow ur spouse to work till u get pr but rules keep changeing so ul just have to sit down and read all cic website and pnp and check it out and see which province fits you better.
Thanks for that Spockil, being a "canny" Scot I'm trying to get as much info as possible before hand and of course not spend needlessly

Which province / area are you in? would you recommend it, familly, job prosects etc....
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kb33
I would say the easier of the provinces to emigrate to are Manitoba and Saskatchewan .
Hi kb33, what makes Manitoba and Saskatchewan easier? Would you recommend them as a good relocation?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Well I don't live there , But from what I read on here and other forums , The PNP process does seem easier , I think in Manitoba you can get your nomination and swap jobs , Which is more than you can do in Alberta for instance , Plus getting your nomination is a lot quicker than Alberta , Which is around 12 -14 months at present , I'm sure someone from those Provinces will be along soon
http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/
http://www.aeei.gov.sk.ca/immigration
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kb33
Well I don't live there , But from what I read on here and other forums , The PNP process does seem easier , I think in Manitoba you can get your nomination and swap jobs , Which is more than you can do in Alberta for instance , Plus getting your nomination is a lot quicker than Alberta , Which is around 12 -14 months at present , I'm sure someone from those Provinces will be along soon
http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/
http://www.aeei.gov.sk.ca/immigration
Thanks kb33, time for more reading

Any comments from residents of SK orm MB welcome.