Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

H and R TRANSPORT ANYONE KNOW IT

H and R TRANSPORT ANYONE KNOW IT

Old Jun 9th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future
Default Re: H and R TRANSPORT ANYONE KNOW IT

Originally Posted by ejbsom
hi you mentioned me passing you my e mail address. seems really cheeky and nosey. not usually my thing but i guess these are unusual circumstances
I have emailed you with the info about Wages and a copy of the Employment Contract.

Karla x x x x
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Havent the Pleas family got a job with H & R in Lethbridge Alberta ????
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

ejbsom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Havent the Pleas family got a job with H & R in Lethbridge Alberta ????
WHO? X
Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ejbsom
WHO? X
Their log on is Pleas Family. Am sure that the hubby is going to be a trucker with h & r and they will be in Alberta.

Gay
x
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Smith66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karla03
I have emailed you with the info about Wages and a copy of the Employment Contract.

Karla x x x x
Hi
Im new to this site, my husband and I are looking into coming to canada and Im trying to find out lots of info. I have been reading a lot of the threads and also been on to the website of companies. I have looked at H & R transport and also RJ Hoffman in Alberta - just wondered what the wages are like and was wondering if you or anyone else could me some more information. We have lots of questions just trying to find out if its a better way of life and for us.

Any help would be appreicated
Thanks
Jo
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Smith66
Hi
Im new to this site, my husband and I are looking into coming to canada and Im trying to find out lots of info. I have been reading a lot of the threads and also been on to the website of companies. I have looked at H & R transport and also RJ Hoffman in Alberta - just wondered what the wages are like and was wondering if you or anyone else could me some more information. We have lots of questions just trying to find out if its a better way of life and for us.

Thanks
Jo
Hi Jo

Not a trucking family ourselves but I do know that Koogar from this site has set a blog up about his life as a trucker from day 1 of arrival which is a good read and has some fabulous pictures on there too.

He is out of Sask but goes thru Alberta, BC and Montana too click here for his blog.

If you know where abouts you want to settle just check out their local newspaper for trucking jobs. In my town where I am going to be living the Lethbridge Herald has a ton of them this weekend - whether any of them would go through the WP route I have no idea but it does give you an idea of what is on offer.

Good Luck

Gaynor
x
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:17 pm
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks
Jo
Hi Jo

We are moving out to Lethbridge within the next 2 months and i will be working for H & R. I did the interview thing last time they were in UK, Jan (my wife) and i went down to Guildford and spoke to Annette (VRV Global) and Steve Whitaker (H & R driver) They gave me all the info and it sounded great, me being the great cynic went over to see for myself. We went over in May for 2 weeks, thats Jan, Luke (13) and myself.

We flew into Calgary, stayed the night in Airdrie and drove up to Edmonton till the weekend, we then drove 5hrs down to Lethbridge and spent the week visiting and setting up or new lives. We then went up to Calgary for a few days before flying back.

While in Lethbridge we visited H & R and met the Transport Director and had a climb over one of the tractors, having spoken to a couple of drivers i would have to say that it appears that everything we have been told seems to be true.

I dont really want to discuss money on an open forum but if you would like my info then just email or PM. I have done excel worksheets showing possible earnings and estimated outgoings for you utilities

H & R have three depots in Alberta and we liked them in this order, Lethbridge, Edmonton then Calgary. Lucky really because thats the order we liked the towns in too.

Now remember this is our opinion and is based on our likes and needs. Calgary is too much of a big city, it is like a cross between London and Barcelona. The 'burbs seem to go on for ever and downtown is all high rise, lots and lots of cars and the inevitable congestion, also it didnt seem quite as clean as other places we visited (our opinion remember)

Edmonton was almost as big although it felt quite friendly, saying that there seems to be a worry that crime is on the increase.

Lethbridge was perfect, small friendly city, we didnt see any congestion, down town still fairly quiet and everything easy to find, and places to park where ever you went. Mayor McGrath Drive which is a diagonal boulevard that cuts thru the centre of Lethbridge has got everything on it.

Asda Walmart, Safeway, Costco, Canadian Sperstore, gazzillions of restaurants, smaller shops, car lots and hotels. Its even got a water tower thats been converted into a grill restaurant.

Imagine Lethbridge as the hub of a wheel, all round it are small townships which are a complete delight. We are renting a house in Raymond which is about 20 miles away, it feels really midwest, 3000 souls all told apparently, we got shops albeit small ones and even our own pump house (not sure what that is yet)

Basically, if you are going over as a family then book yourself a holiday, go and see for yourself, if you do your homework beforehand then you can also use your trip to get things sorted out as we did. It cost us about £2000 for filight, accomodation and car hire for 2 weeks and it was money well spent as we came away with a job, a house, Canadian driving experience, cell phone, bank accounts, school sorted and a million and one questions answered, local attractions visited, about eighteen skeeter bites and the memories of a trip of a lifetime. The secret is plan the trip and book all your meetings before you go.

Our little trip is shown on my blog, that might also be worth a look if you havent done so already.

Lyndon
Attached Thumbnails H and R TRANSPORT ANYONE KNOW IT-09-h-r-lethbridge-003-9-.jpg   H and R TRANSPORT ANYONE KNOW IT-10-our-house-63-.jpg   H and R TRANSPORT ANYONE KNOW IT-11-raymond-29-.jpg  

Last edited by Lyndon001; Jun 16th 2007 at 7:25 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Lyndon

Good grief the Brits are populating the Bridge this summer - us, minihaha,mrs miggins,Pleas family, guitar fish and yourselves.

I will second everything that Lyndon said about how the like of Calgary and Edmonton feel.

I have been visiting the Bridge for 18 years and can say that I dont think that you would find any friendlier town to settle in.

Hope to see you about in Lethbridge Lyndon - if you want to keep tails of when peeps are going to be there so we can hook up pm me or contact via MSN.

Gaynor

X
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lyndon001
Hi Jo

We are moving out to Lethbridge within the next 2 months and i will be working for H & R. I did the interview thing last time they were in UK, Jan (my wife) and i went down to Guildford and spoke to Annette (VRV Global) and Steve Whitaker (H & R driver) They gave me all the info and it sounded great, me being the great cynic went over to see for myself. We went over in May for 2 weeks, thats Jan, Luke (13) and myself.

We flew into Calgary, stayed the night in Airdrie and drove up to Edmonton till the weekend, we then drove 5hrs down to Lethbridge and spent the week visiting and setting up or new lives. We then went up to Calgary for a few days before flying back.

While in Lethbridge we visited H & R and met the Transport Director and had a climb over one of the tractors, having spoken to a couple of drivers i would have to say that it appears that everything we have been told seems to be true.

I dont really want to discuss money on an open forum but if you would like my info then just email or PM. I have done excel worksheets showing possible earnings and estimated outgoings for you utilities

H & R have three depots in Alberta and we liked them in this order, Lethbridge, Edmonton then Calgary. Lucky really because thats the order we liked the towns in too.

Now remember this is our opinion and is based on our likes and needs. Calgary is too much of a big city, it is like a cross between London and Barcelona. The 'burbs seem to go on for ever and downtown is all high rise, lots and lots of cars and the inevitable congestion, also it didnt seem quite as clean as other places we visited (our opinion remember)

Edmonton was almost as big although it felt quite friendly, saying that there seems to be a worry that crime is on the increase.

Lethbridge was perfect, small friendly city, we didnt see any congestion, down town still fairly quiet and everything easy to find, and places to park where ever you went. Mayor McGrath Drive which is a diagonal boulevard that cuts thru the centre of Lethbridge has got everything on it.

Asda Walmart, Safeway, Costco, Canadian Sperstore, gazzillions of restaurants, smaller shops, car lots and hotels. Its even got a water tower thats been converted into a grill restaurant.

Imagine Lethbridge as the hub of a wheel, all round it are small townships which are a complete delight. We are renting a house in Raymond which is about 20 miles away, it feels really midwest, 3000 souls all told apparently, we got shops albeit small ones and even our own pump house (not sure what that is yet)

Basically, if you are going over as a family then book yourself a holiday, go and see for yourself, if you do your homework beforehand then you can also use your trip to get things sorted out as we did. It cost us about £2000 for filight, accomodation and car hire for 2 weeks and it was money well spent as we came away with a job, a house, Canadian driving experience, cell phone, bank accounts, school sorted and a million and one questions answered, local attractions visited, about eighteen skeeter bites and the memories of a trip of a lifetime. The secret is plan the trip and book all your meetings before you go.

Our little trip is shown on my blog, that might also be worth a look if you havent done so already.

Lyndon
P.S
hi its ej ive just p/m you. Love the house, just the sort of thing i dream about, especially as i live in a terraced house, big but no garden what so ever.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Thanks Lyndon001
I will email you if you dont mind and have visited your blog which i found very useful
Thanks
Jo

Hi Jo

Lyndon
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lyndon001
i cant seem to pm you, as apparantly I have only 2 posts and the system wont let me, so not sure if you can get hold of my email address, if not will try again.
Thanks
Jo
PS Know swindon very well although I havent lived there for quite sometime, still have family on Eldene and Liden.
Hi Jo

Lyndon
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

lucyann10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello everybody

My ears have been burning for the last few days so i thought i would go searching to see who was talking about me.

Hope everyone is well and first of all i would like to offer some advice for anyone who is even thinking of considering moving to Canada. Go into an establishment called "Tim Hortons", and ask them to sell you an item called a "Boston Cream Dohnut"

I notice a couple of people have been trying to contact me, first of all i am no immigration expert and all my info has been reaped from the internet over many, many hours. By asking a lot of people a lot of questions and by going over there and digging through all the B**l-S***t. Believe i or not there are a lot of people on both sides of the pond who are either trying to sell you a product or a service and not all of it is worth the money.

If any one would like to share findings and experiences then i would love to help (and be helped) so far we have found the whole thing to be easy, fun and enjoyable. Bear in mind i am an easy going, positive kinda guy with a really supportive family who share the dream, so i may be seeing this through rose tinted specs. Also please note the absence of the word "EASY" in this paragraph.

2 examples of "things learnt" are as follows.

Did you know that if you go over for a visit, if you keep all your flight details and hotel reciepts, you can claim back GST on your accomodation bills, i didnt but i do now.

If you are coming over as a driver, most mortgage lenders (in my humble experience) would be looking for a 25% deposit especially while on Temp Permit for 2 reasons. There are are a lot of applicants who go back to UK, and as a driver you are paid by the mile so you have no guarranteed salary, you are treated like a commission paid sales person.

Anyway this posting is getting way too long so if anyone needs help, wants to tell me im talking cr*p (explanations would be appreciated though) or would just like a chat or to bounce some ideas off me then post away, or PM me email me or connect on Yahoo and we can live chat.

I Would to the cheap self promotion thing of saying visit my blog at http://lyndon001.blogspot.com/ but that was done for me earlier in the thread. Thanx

Have a great weekend everyone

Lyndon
My husband has an interview with h&r in july. When you had your interview was there a representative from VRV GLOBAL as well. If so were there fees expensive
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Hello everybody

Originally Posted by lucyann10
My husband has an interview with h&r in july. When you had your interview was there a representative from VRV GLOBAL as well. If so were there fees expensive
hey ej here, could you let us know how it goes and what the deal is, as my husand has an interview with them in september. any bit of info much appreciated. as well you probably know. x
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:20 pm
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future

Hi Lyndon001
i cant seem to pm you, as apparantly I have only 2 posts and the system wont let me, so not sure if you can get hold of my email address, if not will try again.
Thanks
Jo
PS Know swindon very well although I havent lived there for quite sometime, still have family on Eldene and Liden.
Wow small world we live in Eldene, were not related are we
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:17 am
Banned

Heee Haar !!!

Spoke to the solicitor last night and also the house buyers. They want, no need actually for us to be out of the house on 20th July which is earlier than we were planning for.

So for the Lyndon001 clan, 20th July is VE Day (very exciting) at last we have a date to work on, now we can go ahead and book flights, arrange Gizmos shipping and start thinking about starting with H & R.

Its a real shame were going to miss the Stampede which starts this morning, but theres always next year.

Hopefully we will be back on Canadian soil before the end of the month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.