Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Good Trucking Company with fair shift/homelife 2015/16

Good Trucking Company with fair shift/homelife 2015/16

Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:04 am
Just Joined

JRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good Trucking Company with fair shift/homelife 2015/16

Does any one know the ins and outs of any of the good trucking firms offering long haul jobs? Specifically Alberta.

Time away/shift patterns?
Any help with licenses?
Sponsorship?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Trucking Company with fair shift/homelife 2015/16

To be honest, with LMIA's being so scarce these days, most people just have to take whatever they can get - if they can even find one employer/LMIA then they're doing incredibly well, people on the forum have been looking for ages with no luck at all. So being picky about shifts, provinces, etc isn't an option for most. Do you already have PR though?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks Christmasoompa,

No I am uk side at the moment. I'm just starting to look again after being delayed through personal things.

Ielts complete.

I appreciate what you say about choices. I have just read a thread about Manitoba being the best to get Pr. Any thoughts?

Once you get PR be it 6 months or 2 years, are you free to move or are you tied??

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see. In which case I'm afraid to say I think you'll just have to go wherever you can find a job offer/LMIA, regardless of the province or whether the company has a 'fair shift/homelife' balance.

No need for IELTS until you apply for PR, just for the sake of anybody reading, although it's valid for 2 years so hopefully you can apply for PR before it expires.

And yes, MB is a good one to get PR in, SK is another. Once you've got PR you can do what the heck you like, whether that's work for somebody else, retire, study, or set up your own business - you'd be a PR of Canada, so have almost all the right of citizenship!

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRich
Does any one know the ins and outs of any of the good trucking firms offering long haul jobs? Specifically Alberta.

Time away/shift patterns?
Any help with licenses?
Sponsorship?
Hi, Companies that need to fetch drivers from abroad are generally not good to work for, if they were, Canadians would be filling the seats.
There isn't a shortage of Canadian drivers by any means, there's a shortage of good companies to work for.
Saying that, the system as it is has brought a lot of drivers over here and we've had a chance of a different life.
If you can put up with the crap until you gain PR, you're laughing, you can then move onto better things.
There are good companies but they're not the one's needing overseas drivers.
The problem now, as was said above is finding a company with LMIA's and there are very very few at the minute.
H&R Transport in Lethbridge are hoping to get some in the New Year and are doing Skype interviews in Dec.
This is working out of the Calgary terminal, long haul to the US and Canada wide.
If you're interested, go on their FB page and get your name down.
Apart from them, I haven't heard or read of any other companies with LMIA's.
Good luck.
Just another thought, are you under 30yrs old by any chance ?

Last edited by neilg14; Nov 27th 2015 at 11:40 am.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, that is some solid advice. Have you worked for them??
Old Nov 27th 2015, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, that is some solid advice. Have you worked for them??
Yes, I worked there for 5yrs.
What about your age, under 30yrs ?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I'm 33 in March why do you ask?

How did you find working for them?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you were under 30, you could have gone for the IEC visa which would have given you a 2yr open work permit to work for who you want without the need for an LMIA.
Personally, I had no problem with H&R but some people did.
There are better companies out there and there are worse.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks neilg14. I have seen all the bad press and to be honest all companies have there fair share of it on here and else where.

What was the best and worst parts of your experience with them if you don't mind me Asking?

How was the money ?

Private message me if you prefer. I appreciate your help
Old Nov 28th 2015, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks neilg14. I have seen all the bad press and to be honest all companies have there fair share of it on here and else where.

What was the best and worst parts of your experience with them if you don't mind me Asking?

How was the money ?

Private message me if you prefer. I appreciate your help
Everyone's circumstances are different, I came here alone for the first 3yrs, I lived in the truck and just wanted to run.
The good for me was, I ran wherever, whenever, didn't refuse any job's so got plenty of miles.
I just ran, took my statutory time off wherever I ran out of hours, US or Canada, I didn't need to get back home.
I took 2 holidays a year of between a month and 6 weeks each, never a problem with them.
The equipment is all in really good nick and any problems, they had them in straight away.

The bad was, 65mph speed limiters that got reduced to 60mph (now 65mph again), electronic log books are being introduced now, others will disagree but together, this limits your earning potential.
On the work they do, the deadlines for getting to your drop were very tight, the slghtest hold-up, you'd miss it and the dispatch is on your back.
Most of the dispatchers weren't drivers so had no idea about the problems out on the road.
Mileage pay, you are only paid when the wheels are turning, with very little in the way of extras, any time waiting for loads, breakdown's, pre-trip's , fuelling, filling out log books, paperwork..etc. is unpaid, which leads me onto money.
My LMIA stated a minimum of IIRC £55,000/year, which I well exceeded every year, even though I only worked for about 9mths/yr.
And although you don't count it as wages, at the end of the tax year there is a nice sized cheque back from the tax man, It was between $6K & $9K for me.
This about sums it up for me personally.
There's probably more but I haven't been down the road since PR, now on local, paid by the hr and home everyday.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd give Alberta a wide berth if you fully intend to stay for PR . Not much happening there at present due to oil prices and therefore lots of laid off rig pigs looking for work .
Saskatchewan is fairly quiet on the immigrant scene (unless you're Syrian) but you could try the trucking association website , MB seems to have a bit more life but as Neil says it's finding companies with the all important LMIA . Hope it works for you .
Old Dec 4th 2015, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Personally I'd give Alberta a wide berth if you fully intend to stay for PR . Not much happening there at present due to oil prices and therefore lots of laid off rig pigs looking for work .
Saskatchewan is fairly quiet on the immigrant scene (unless you're Syrian) but you could try the trucking association website , MB seems to have a bit more life but as Neil says it's finding companies with the all important LMIA . Hope it works for you .
Stay out of Alberta if you want PR. Nominations are over subscribed & can take over a year to get from when you apply.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you contacted bison in Manitoba
Old Dec 11th 2015, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Kazmann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neil,

once I land in Canada with my 2year working holiday visa & obtain my truck licence:

-how did you find these trucking jobs?
-was it difficult getting job at first?
-is there high demand for truckers?
-did you find these jobs through online agency?

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.